Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 10:47 AM

359 posts, read 320,449 times

Advertisements

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/go...uary-city-bill

Can any locals shed some light on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2018, 10:49 AM

359 posts, read 320,449 times
Ok, whew. I did some more reading. It's a GOOD thing, IMO. The "Sanctuary City Bill" in TN is the opposite of the one in California.

it's basically an "anti-sanctuary" bill (as I read it) that requires their law enforcement to cooperate...CA wants the exact opposite...LA and California wants it to be law that local law does not have to work with the feds in immigration issues..

Is that right?

Old 05-25-2018, 07:18 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoxTerra View Post
Ok, whew. I did some more reading.
Always recommended LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoxTerra View Post

It's a GOOD thing, IMO. The "Sanctuary City Bill" in TN is the opposite of the one in California.

it's basically an "anti-sanctuary" bill (as I read it) that requires their law enforcement to cooperate...CA wants the exact opposite...LA and California wants it to be law that local law does not have to work with the feds in immigration issues..

Is that right?
Correct, sanctuary cities are illegal here.

Old 05-30-2018, 09:23 AM

9,682 posts, read 9,398,464 times
Hopefully Nashville won't enforce this racist law.

Old 05-30-2018, 11:22 AM

186 posts, read 283,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Hopefully Nashville won't enforce this racist law.
Wow. Upholding and enforcing federal immigration law = racist.

Old 05-30-2018, 01:19 PM

2,427 posts, read 2,477,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crltn19 View Post
Wow. Upholding and enforcing federal immigration law = racist.

No, it's how it's enforced that makes it racist... I know here in Georgia it's the same thing, then we have some republican candidates for Governor here (Cagle/Kemp) that have been going all out and pledge whole hardly to deport and go against Sanctuary cities, which Georgia doesn't legally have any either like Tennessee. Kemp said he will take some back to mexico with his own personal truck and said yes he said that. Then we had a previous candidate (Michael Williams), which lucky he's out of the race now was riding around Atlanta and parts of Georgia in a Deportation bus saying follow me back to mexico. There you are.. IMO thus far Tennessee has been a little better with the rhetoric because if that isn't what I think it is, what is.. Good ol Georgia politics from your neighbor next door.. Tennessee please set an example for us. I hope Georgia does as well by electing positive change in November but who knows.. Believe me it's nothing wrong with being liberal or conservative, just be respectful which ever way you fall, right or left!

Old 06-02-2018, 07:46 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
No, it's how it's enforced that makes it racist... I know here in Georgia it's the same thing, then we have some republican candidates for Governor here (Cagle/Kemp) that have been going all out and pledge whole hardly to deport and go against Sanctuary cities, which Georgia doesn't legally have any either like Tennessee. Kemp said he will take some back to mexico with his own personal truck and said yes he said that. Then we had a previous candidate (Michael Williams), which lucky he's out of the race now was riding around Atlanta and parts of Georgia in a Deportation bus saying follow me back to mexico. There you are.. IMO thus far Tennessee has been a little better with the rhetoric because if that isn't what I think it is, what is.. Good ol Georgia politics from your neighbor next door.. Tennessee please set an example for us. I hope Georgia does as well by electing positive change in November but who knows.. Believe me it's nothing wrong with being liberal or conservative, just be respectful which ever way you fall, right or left!
I'm a liberal and have empathy for illegals who are trying for a better life for their kids. How hard it must be to travel to a foreign place with nothing but the clothes on your back, leaving family behind. That's how desperate these people are.

But I also understand illegal immigrants have a very damaging effect on our country and sanctuary cities only go against federal immigration policies that exist for a reason.

Last edited by DaveinMtAiry; 06-02-2018 at 08:22 AM..

Old 06-07-2018, 07:54 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I'm a liberal and have empathy for illegals who are trying for a better life for their kids. How hard it must be to travel to a foreign place with nothing but the clothes on your back, leaving family behind. That's how desperate these people are.

But I also understand illegal immigrants have a very damaging effect on our country and sanctuary cities only go against federal immigration policies that exist for a reason.
I’m a conservative and I actually agree with what you said. I think many Americans of both political stripes are fine with immigration as long as it’s legal. I will even say I think we should allow more legal immigrants from Mexico in once we control our border. Until the disorder is stopped however we can’t do that. I believe in tough immigration policy and border control AND I believe in immigration. Legal immigration is part of what made our country what it is, however that immigration must be done within the confines of our laws. The idea of sanctuary cities is so destructive to our immigration policy and law and order. Giving amnesty of any kind to illegals is also an insult to those immigrants who waited years to come here through the proper channels.

Old 06-07-2018, 01:40 PM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I’m a conservative and I actually agree with what you said. I think many Americans of both political stripes are fine with immigration as long as it’s legal. I will even say I think we should allow more legal immigrants from Mexico in once we control our border. Until the disorder is stopped however we can’t do that. I believe in tough immigration policy and border control AND I believe in immigration. Legal immigration is part of what made our country what it is, however that immigration must be done within the confines of our laws. The idea of sanctuary cities is so destructive to our immigration policy and law and order. Giving amnesty of any kind to illegals is also an insult to those immigrants who waited years to come here through the proper channels.
Agreed, just as our ancestors did.

Old 06-07-2018, 07:38 PM

196 posts, read 259,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post

I agree.
I can understand the mindset behind sanctuary cities. It helps good (yet illegal) immigrants who fled their homes to be able report crimes without fear of deportation. My heart hurts for those crossing the border to escape something awful into such an unsure situation.
That said, I understand the negatives too.

I'm more upset about children being forcibly separated from parents trying to border cross than I am about sanctuary cities.

I left NY a conservative and have somehow become a liberal in TN. Weird how life works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee