U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 07:26 AM

2 posts, read 5,528 times

Advertisements

I purchased 7.37 acres near Westel Tenn. Land needs to be cleared and I have not got the slightest idea on how to go about this. Do I need to hire a logging company to meet with me and give me an estimate? or do I have to clear the land myself? Back of property has drop off so I'm not sure exactly how much land is to be cleared. Several large fallen trees on property. Can anyone give me an idea on who to contact.

All assistance is appreciated.
Rate this post positively

Old 11-22-2006, 11:45 AM

5,244 posts, read 15,570,737 times
Call logging companies. And call several. You will get lots of different prices. Also, if you can find a logging company that sells the tree pulp to paper mills, they will remove lots more than a regular company that only sells to lumber mills. The only down side is you will be left with stumps in the yard unless you hire a company to pull them or grind them, and both cost a good bit of money.

I wish I could give you the name of a company, but the one that's supposed to be doing ours is 3 weeks late!!

Old 05-04-2007, 08:46 AM

2 posts, read 8,554 times
Contact someone that can go in and mulch it for you. It leave the trees that you want and mulches the unwanted ones, as a result your land has increased in value.

Old 05-04-2007, 09:09 AM

6,289 posts, read 22,166,244 times
A few questions first . . .

Do you know what kind and what size the trees on the property are?

Is the land relatively remote?

A logging company wouldn't normally be interested in such a small bit of forest land unless the trees were of exception size or type (say, a dozen walnut trees, or several large white oaks). Also, most loggers are definitely not interested in trees near a homestead; too much danger of bullets, old fences, and other stuff being stuck in the trees.

If the trees are not too big and are not saleable, a trackscavator can push down a sizeable tree; and a bulldozer can push down all but the largest of trees.

Your best bet is to ask a few locals, or possibly your local ag extension agent.

Old 05-04-2007, 10:29 AM

1,775 posts, read 7,785,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amforensic View Post
I purchased 7.37 acres near Westel Tenn. Land needs to be cleared and I have not got the slightest idea on how to go about this. Do I need to hire a logging company to meet with me and give me an estimate? or do I have to clear the land myself? Back of property has drop off so I'm not sure exactly how much land is to be cleared. Several large fallen trees on property. Can anyone give me an idea on who to contact.

All assistance is appreciated.
We're in the same situation with 8 acres. we went to a place that rents small dozers and things to do clearing and they gave us a few business cards for referrals. Though we're doing it mostly ourself after we got a few estimates, I'd just check out your local equipment rental stores that rents this kind of stuff, that's where you might get some reliable help but make sure you get many estimates and don't just pick the first one you come across.

Old 05-05-2007, 08:09 PM

240 posts, read 1,115,700 times
I am also in need of some clearing of land. We have good dirt on our property and looking for someone to take the dirt off the property. Our land is in Spencer Tenn and right now unable to locate someone to take good clean dirt. Any takers!

Old 05-08-2007, 08:42 PM

64 posts, read 293,313 times
I would run an ad in the local paper and post a help wanted add on the board at Walmart

Old 05-08-2007, 08:56 PM

462 posts, read 1,805,838 times
Also, you could call the Tree Service companies in the yellow pages.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:32 PM

240 posts, read 1,115,700 times
I tried both tree companies. I have dirt, good dirt and nobody wants it.

Old 10-07-2007, 12:53 PM

4 posts, read 10,722 times
i have some property with lots of cedar trees . would like to find some one to cut them to make mulch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee