Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 06:21 PM

263 posts, read 610,722 times

Advertisements

I've noticed that lots and lots of people in Middle Tennessee turn on their emergency flashers when it's raining. Rain is not an emergency. Driving with flashing lights distracts other drivers and is more likely to cause a wreck than prevent one.

Anybody here engage in this ridiculous practice? Anybody here know why people in this neck-of-the-woods do this? Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2016, 09:02 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,260,514 times
I blame the western transplants that aren't used to rain.

Old 08-28-2016, 09:08 PM
NCN

21,656 posts, read 25,491,377 times
I don't live in Tennessee but saw this a lot when visiting Florida if the rain was so hard that it was hard to see objects around you or in foggy rain. Being invisible on a busy road can turn into an emergency.

Old 08-28-2016, 09:14 PM

36,960 posts, read 40,898,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_commuter View Post
I've noticed that lots and lots of people in Middle Tennessee turn on their emergency flashers when it's raining. Rain is not an emergency. Driving with flashing lights distracts other drivers and is more likely to cause a wreck than prevent one.

Anybody here engage in this ridiculous practice? Anybody here know why people in this neck-of-the-woods do this? Just curious.
I have done it when the rain was so heavy that visibility is greatly reduced and I have had to drop my speed down accordingly. I want to be seen and I want people to know I am moving more slowly than expected, particularly on an interstate highway.

It appears that state laws about doing it vary:

http://blog.esurance.com/warning-you.../#.V8ObTfkrKM8

Old 08-28-2016, 10:25 PM

4,871 posts, read 4,981,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I have done it when the rain was so heavy that visibility is greatly reduced and I have had to drop my speed down accordingly. I want to be seen and I want people to know I am moving more slowly than expected, particularly on an interstate highway.

It appears that state laws about doing it vary:

Warning: You May Be Using Your Hazard Lights Incorrectly | Esurance Blog
Not a bad idea. More visibility in foggy downpours always a plus.

Old 08-29-2016, 07:14 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,198,974 times
If you are driving well below the speed limit for any reason it is wise to turn on your hazard lights. It notifies other drivers, especially the ones driving recklessly in sub-optimum conditions, that you are the hazard. Heavy rain, fog, snow, partially disabled vehicle, whatever. I realize it's illegal in a few states, but it isn't illegal in TN. Either way, I'd rather get a ticket than get slammed into by some crazy commuter who is late to work.

Just because you're brave/skillful/dumb enough to speed along when there is reduced visibility and an increased chance of hydroplaning that doesn't mean everyone else will. Maybe the other guy had old almost bald tires, or maybe was just old with reduced vision and reflexes.

On the other hand, if you are talking about people turning on hazards just because it is raining (while driving the speed limit), then that is wrong and illegal in most states... including Tennessee. On most vehicles it disables the turn signals (because they are already flashing) and sometimes even the brake lights.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:56 AM

914 posts, read 1,971,580 times
I turn mine on whe it is rainin so hard that I must slow down to ~30-40 mph. I think it's a safety measure. Hazard lights on does not mean "Emergency." They are not emergency lights.

Old 09-02-2016, 03:57 AM

2,762 posts, read 3,164,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
I blame the western transplants that aren't used to rain.
I have lived most of my life out west and we may not get frequent rain but we do get big storms at times. The first time I ever saw this being done was in Florida and then here.

Old 10-03-2017, 12:01 PM

40 posts, read 35,791 times
The uneducated do it all the time here in Florida. Not legal. Overhead signs on the interstate remind drivers, "Lights on when raining, NO flashers." Still the uneducated put on their flashers.

They should have never gotten rid of drivers ed in high school.

Old 10-05-2017, 07:06 AM

16,086 posts, read 10,240,716 times
I for the life of me can not understand why this would be illegal or a big deal. Visibility in the rain is limited, why not make your car as visible as possible in this situation? If you are really distracted by a car with flashers on that's just weird to me.

I would much rather want to lessen the odds of being rear ended by a car with limited visibility and ability to stop than be worried about another driver somehow being distracted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee