Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 04:57 PM

536 posts, read 961,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Pretty much, yes. It has been discussed a number of times on this forum, here is an older post of mine that has a link with some info that covers crime reporting in Tn. //www.city-data.com/forum/36615494-post18.html
If you search the TN forum for 'crime' you will pull up lots of lively threads on the topic.

Yes, I think I remember seeing that with some other posts about crime. I only mentioned it because of this post.

Last edited by JMT; 09-16-2016 at 06:13 PM.. Reason: Please do not reference competitors to city-data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2016, 05:07 PM

536 posts, read 961,451 times
[quote=2mares;45507568]What are you considering crime in regards to being unsafe.
I often look at the court docket and police report for Crossville/Cumberland Co. and the majority are shoplifting, revoked DL, a few simple possessions and public intoxication, perhaps a trespass and domestic assault. Not that we dont occasionally have major theft, assaults and murders as do all communities.

[b]I think the best way to judge is to actually read the police reports and court dockets

Murder, rape, muggings. That kind of thing. Like in bad parts of town where you wouldn't park your car or walk around. And as you mention, those kind of crimes are far and few between thank goodness.

Looking at the court dockets is a good way to know for sure. That is smart. How do you get that information?

Old 09-16-2016, 09:33 PM

121 posts, read 162,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Yeah places like Pigeon Forge shouldn't be included, or at least there should be an asterisk by them. These crime stats are based on resident population. On any given day there are probably three times as many visitors as there are residents in Pigeon Forge, probably even more during weekends and tourist seasons. So while there might be 40,000 people in Pigeon Forge on a given day, the crime stats are based on the resident population which is only 6,100 or so.

And, really, any place whose daytime population is higher than the resident population will have its crime stats skewed, sometimes by quite a bit.
That is very true. Places with a higher daytime population or a tourist area the number will be convoluted some due to the number of crimes and the actually full time population.

Old 09-16-2016, 09:38 PM

121 posts, read 162,201 times
[quote=tamaralj;45509564]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
What are you considering crime in regards to being unsafe.
I often look at the court docket and police report for Crossville/Cumberland Co. and the majority are shoplifting, revoked DL, a few simple possessions and public intoxication, perhaps a trespass and domestic assault. Not that we dont occasionally have major theft, assaults and murders as do all communities.

[b]I think the best way to judge is to actually read the police reports and court dockets

Murder, rape, muggings. That kind of thing. Like in bad parts of town where you wouldn't park your car or walk around. And as you mention, those kind of crimes are far and few between thank goodness.

Looking at the court dockets is a good way to know for sure. That is smart. How do you get that information?
You are correct. I live in Cumberland County and that vast majority of our crime is the usual petty style crimes. There was a big meth problem here a few years ago but it has been knocked back considerably due to the hard work of the Cumberland County Sheriff's Office, Crossville City Police and the district attorney. Most of our drug problems now a day are due to the pill poppers and illegal use of prescription drugs, but that too is being controlled by our law enforcement.

I have always distrusted these numbers when they come out every year as I do not feel the paint a true picture of crime in Crossville. Trust me I would feel perfectly safe walking down Main St in Crossville at midnight.

Old 09-17-2016, 06:13 AM

383 posts, read 400,148 times
Aside from the current administration and the poverty it has escalated, crime is the main reason "the People" are packing heat. Concealed carry permit applications have exploded in recent years.

You choose. Prepare to fight and defend, or just become a victim. There are no safe locations anymore. I'll take a small town any day over a place like Chicago.

Old 09-17-2016, 06:18 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times
Another "crime" report. Oh goodie. Clickbait.

Old 09-18-2016, 03:48 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,332,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
Another "crime" report. Oh goodie. Clickbait.
This x 1,000,000

Old 09-19-2016, 05:41 AM

667 posts, read 763,084 times
garbage propaganda article

Old 09-19-2016, 08:32 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,856,131 times
[quote=tamaralj;45509564]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
What are you considering crime in regards to being unsafe.

For Cumberland County they are in the local paper. You could probably get them from the court house.

Old 09-19-2016, 08:34 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,856,131 times
[quote=Fltaz;45511676]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaralj View Post

You are correct. I live in Cumberland County and that vast majority of our crime is the usual petty style crimes. There was a big meth problem here a few years ago but it has been knocked back considerably due to the hard work of the Cumberland County Sheriff's Office, Crossville City Police and the district attorney. Most of our drug problems now a day are due to the pill poppers and illegal use of prescription drugs, but that too is being controlled by our law enforcement.

I have always distrusted these numbers when they come out every year as I do not feel the paint a true picture of crime in Crossville. Trust me I would feel perfectly safe walking down Main St in Crossville at midnight.
You would probably be all alone except for a police officer patrolling the strip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee