Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2016, 01:56 PM

1,904 posts, read 1,044,790 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I had a friend of mine from Florida move to Spring-hill outside of Nashville about 8 yrs ago. ANYWAY, he's Hebrew (or Jewish) and moved there for work. He's got Dark hair and Dark eyes, but looks Anglo-saxon and not what appears to be any ethnic race (like arab, etc).

Anyway, He claims he tried to fit in with the Christians there, but they would constantly try to "recruit him" to accept Jesus, repent of your sins, etc., and join our church. My buddy is not terribly religious with his own faith, but he didn't feel comfortable with the fact that nearly everyone he met, always was pushing religion. Apparently, everyone was big into Jesus, and prayed about every little thing from buying a Car to taking a job, to deciding whether to buy or sell a house.

I listened to this story and found it hard to believe but i have no other sources to verify this except his word. After 8 yrs, he finally got fed-up and sold his house and moved back to Florida. SO the conclusion was, as a Jew, he didn't fit into the Christian sec., and was basically ostracized because he was a non-christian, unbeliever. I found it hard to believe but what do i know....i'm a Floridian.
  • Is it true that non-Christians are not welcomed in the state of Tennessee?
  • What do non-Christians in Tennessee do so socialize?
  • Do bible belt Christians pray about everything they do, before they do it?
HE ALSO said that every church is crowded on Wednesdays and Sunday and that he and his wife (a gentile) were basically left out because they didn't accept Jesus.
  • Could any of this be true....are non-Christians frowned upon in Tennessee?
  • (and other bible belt cities).
  • How long has this been going on?
PS. No- offense to anyone as i am a God Fearing Christian too, but i'm not heavily into preaching to people. Just trying to understand the culture of the Bible Belt.

Thanks for your comments!

Old 09-23-2016, 03:08 PM

345 posts, read 530,629 times
And OP, of course non Christians are welcomed here!! I mean nashville has the highest number of kurds in the country! And about the small towns, people aren't moving there, they're moving to the metropolitan area (chat, knox, nash, mem, tri cities, etc.) And those areas are diverse and acceptable.

Don't know what kind of question the second is. You really believe we go to church 24/7? come on dude. There's tons of stuff to do here.

Not really, you got Christians that pray before they're eat (they suppose to do that) but that's really it.

No non-christians aren't frowned upon in Tennessee. Unless you go to those backwards small towns in TN, you'll be good. But you wont have any reason to go there anyway lol.

Other bible belt states/cities (miss, alabama, texas, lousisiana, arkansas, oklahoma,nc/sc, florida, virginia, georgia, etc...all the southern states), they're the same way kind of. just use common sense and know your surroundings.

I dont know, I (and my friends) haven't experienced nothing like this before

Old 09-23-2016, 03:09 PM

345 posts, read 530,629 times
And OP, im not trying to derail the thread, but people say the bible belt (the south) sucks but its the fastest growing region in the country. Wonder why that is.

Old 09-23-2016, 03:30 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,719,927 times
Depends where you live.

There is a very large employer in Nashville who allows bible study meetings onsite during work hours. It made my non-religious friend very uncomfortable trying to use the lunch room at the same time.

Old 09-23-2016, 04:09 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,230,694 times
That ^ seems so weird. I've never really been around anything like that. And, I grew up in Greene county (one of those 'backwards small towns' referenced above) and lived in Johnson City for 6 years and Memphis for 2.5 years. I think one time, some crazy lady at Home Depot asked me if I knew Jesus. I still am not sure if she was out of her mind, or inviting me to church.

I really never encountered much religiosity living in Tennessee, with the exception of state legislators. Also, a lot of Tennesseans' viewpoints about gay people are messed up, but I think that has less to do with religion, and more to do with culture.

Last edited by JMT; 09-23-2016 at 06:38 PM.. Reason: language

Old 09-23-2016, 07:53 PM

1,904 posts, read 1,044,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funtraveler1 View Post
And OP, of course non Christians are welcomed here!! I mean nashville has the highest number of kurds in the country! And about the small towns, people aren't moving there, they're moving to the metropolitan area (chat, knox, nash, mem, tri cities, etc.) And those areas are diverse and acceptable.

Don't know what kind of question the second is. You really believe we go to church 24/7? come on dude. There's tons of stuff to do here.

Not really, you got Christians that pray before they're eat (they suppose to do that) but that's really it.

No non-christians aren't frowned upon in Tennessee. Unless you go to those backwards small towns in TN, you'll be good. But you wont have any reason to go there anyway lol.

Other bible belt states/cities (miss, alabama, texas, lousisiana, arkansas, oklahoma,nc/sc, florida, virginia, georgia, etc...all the southern states), they're the same way kind of. just use common sense and know your surroundings.

I dont know, I (and my friends) haven't experienced nothing like this before

Ehh....you seem a little defensive. I never mentioned 24/7 BUT, read it the way you want.

Unless things have drastically changed since i last went to church, Kurds (are basically Muslim) are not accepted by "Christendom" and neither is their God "Allah!" I seem to remember a recent war against the Kurds by Christians. LINK.

If tennessee is in the Bible belt, i seriously doubt they are happy with Kurds being in Nashville. BUT, I wouldn't call a population of about 2k people HUGH. Where i live, 2k ppl can be seen at any local beach on Sunday. However, I can guarantee you this, there are WAY MORE Muslims in Florida than there are in Tennessee.

Strange you should mention the Kurds,...Christians don't like them, and now they number 2000 in Nashville?

For your perusal. LINK 2

Last edited by Balkins; 09-23-2016 at 08:01 PM..

Old 09-23-2016, 08:52 PM
JRR

8,165 posts, read 5,657,641 times
I guess my wife and I will find out when we move to Cookeville in the spring. She is a Latter Day Saint and I am basically an agnostic. I could be wrong, but I don't think that we will have any problems in that area. Never have had any before and that includes living in a South Carolina mill town in the late 70s. In all our trips to Cookeville church was mentioned only once. And when my wife said that she was a Latter Day Saint the response was "Oh, I have some friends who go there. I understand that they are looking to maybe build a new larger building". And that was the extent of that.

Old 09-23-2016, 09:04 PM

263 posts, read 614,151 times
You're benefiting quite a bit from 'Southern hospitality' on this board. Whereas you are currently getting some 'bless your heart' type comments, I'm going to be a bit more blunt: Either you or your friend is lying.

Old 09-24-2016, 05:43 AM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_commuter View Post
You're benefiting quite a bit from 'Southern hospitality' on this board. Whereas you are currently getting some 'bless your heart' type comments, I'm going to be a bit more blunt: Either you or your friend is lying.
This.

Thread closed.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee