Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 05:36 PM

35 posts, read 85,855 times

Advertisements

W're Southerners who've been living in the North for a few years and are returning home to the warmer weather and people who don't think we have "funny" accents.

In the South we always lived a suburban existence, driving everywhere. But we've gotten used to city living -- being able to walk to the drugstore, the post office, restaurants, etc. And we wish we didn't have to give that up completely.

We've been thinking about North or South Carolina. But we've lived in Chattanooga and Knoxville before and liked E. Tennessee a lot. Any recommendations for areas that might have PUDs or living areas near an active downtowns?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 09:25 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times
Well, there is downtown Knoxville/the Old City. They have some restaurants, bars and clubs downtown, as well as the new Mast General store (not sure about their 'drug' selection, though!)... and of course you can walk to the post office across from the city/county bldg.

But, really, it's not terribly walkable. I guess you're not looking for a big city (midtown Memphis or Atlanta?) Not familiar enough with Charlotte to know if it's walkable.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:56 PM

13,354 posts, read 39,963,688 times
I agree with jabogitlu. My biggest complaint about Knoxville is that it is NOT a walkable city. I can't think of a single neighborhood in Knoxville that was designed so that people can walk to do most of their errands.

I believe downtown Chattanooga is more walkable and has more to do. I believe Greenville SC is similar. Otherwise, I'm afraid I can't be too encouraging. In my limited experiences, Charlotte is definitely not a walkable city (I wouldn't be surprised if the word "sprawl" was invented after people saw what was happening in Charlotte).

How small of a town do you want to live in? Some smaller towns around here DO have walkable downtowns that have nice homes, restaurants, grocery stores, banks, theater, coffee shops, drugstores, post offices, stuff like that.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:21 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,321,489 times
You might want to look a bit further east to Kingsport. It is beginning to be very walkable. Once the river project is complete it will be very walkable. They have some city loft apartments too. You can check this out for a listing of stores and such with in the downtown area that will give you a good idea if it is worth looking into more for you.
Area Links (http://www.downtownkingsport.org/Default.aspx?tabid=79 - broken link)
There is also this site, but looks like it is being updated so you might have to try it at a later date.
DownTown Kingsport Square

Old 02-24-2008, 06:54 PM

35 posts, read 85,855 times
Very helpful info. Was in downtown Knoxville last year and think it's much better than it used to be -- but isn't there yet. I was told that UT was going to build a big apartment building there for students. Hadn't thought about Kingsport. Will look into that.
(Lived in Johnson City for a year and enjoyed it.)

We're empty nesters and don't mind the size of the community, although I don't want to be too isolated (Sevierville, for instance, wouldn't work).

Old 02-24-2008, 07:47 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,393,076 times
Downtown Knoxville is kinda cool, if you're into loft living. But it's pricey and there's not a whole lot to walk to. Restaurants, shops, theater, etc., aren't as plentiful and culturally inspired as some had envisioned, though it's a fun lifestyle and some developments do have river views. But if you're used to a truly walkable city, I concur with the other posters-- alas, you just won't find it in Knoxville. Though the South Waterfront development might lead the way to a new trend.

BTW, are you a writer?

Old 02-24-2008, 09:39 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times
Mouse, I'd never seen that downtown Kingsport blog. Excellent! And wow, Kingsport IS alive! The lofts look great. I wish JC was like that. I've not been to downtown in a year or so, I definitely need to head back... soon... as soon as some warm weather hits we hit the big antique malls!!!

Old 02-24-2008, 09:51 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,662,720 times
Have you considered Asheville, NC? Very lively downtown.
Chattanooga is much more walkable/busable than Knoxville, although Knoxville does have good bus service to and from downtown and the free trolleys out of downtown that you can get to stores and the Strip on.
Franklin, TN, is a small historic town south of Nashville. Not cheap, but a nice lifestyle. Very walkable.
If you don't mind heat, try Savannah, Ga.

Old 02-24-2008, 10:33 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,135,408 times
I agree, knoxgarden, about Asheville and Savannah being just about ideal pedestrian towns, but they are both so expensive to live there any longer.

We had checked into both about 2 years ago after spending many vacations in both spots, but the price of condos in town was very steep.

The Knoxville and Kingsport waterfronts both sound really inviting. If we were looking for in-city living I would check them both.

Old 02-25-2008, 04:40 AM

611 posts, read 1,998,829 times
If you live in the North Shore area or downtown Chattanooga if very walkable. Heck, we have the largest pedestrian bridge in the world.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee