Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2008, 06:30 AM

364 posts, read 1,112,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRD View Post
Just wait until the milk farmer turns to the more lucrative corn crop, milk will be $10 a gallon, our breakfast cereal will be $8.00 a box and our bread will be $5.00 a loaf.

I seen corn on the cob yesterday at Walmart for .49 cents an ear!

The market will only adjust to the higher prices.
I don't know much about farming but I do not think it is that easy to switch crops. Otherwise I am sure we would already be paying $10 a gallon for milk.

What really gets me about the oil prices the reason they are so high is the investment in it. Not the actual supply and demand.

What is public transportation like in TN?

I know in FL things like the Tri-Rail, no one would ride before, now they are posting a record number of riders.That was the sign for me oil prices were really hurting not just people complaining about them. When they take action you know it is bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 11:51 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times
just had my fuel tank filled yesterday with furnace oil ( commen heating fuel in Minnesota )

220 gallons------$3.43 per gallon after cash discount.

OUCH !

Old 03-12-2008, 11:52 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times
maybe I should convert my furnace to a cheaper fuel---gasoline

Old 03-12-2008, 12:54 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,070,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
maybe I should convert my furnace to a cheaper fuel---gasoline
Wood stove.....

Old 03-12-2008, 05:32 PM

2,700 posts, read 3,681,979 times
Default Another Route

Yes, tolls would be costly when starting from the 'bottom' of FL. Here's another thought--

From 95 take the Beachline (west) (528, I believe) across to the Trnpk and (just south of ORL) then on to 75. You would still have a few bucks in tolls but not near the amount from south Florida. We did the 95-26-40 route once and prefer 75. Of course, one must 'time' your trip through ATL. If going through ATL anytime after 9, we have made good time. Since I'm not sure 'where' you will be 'landing' in TN, we prefer the 75 route to Mville. If you are heading closer to Knoxville, then the moutain route is probably the best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbette View Post
That is a scary stretch......but it is the one that we have to use many, many times when we go to visit anyone in my family!! I have learned to just nap while hubby drives through that stretch....

Old 03-12-2008, 06:02 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times
Yesterday on our way home from FL we filled our motorhome with diesel at $3.99 a gallon and we have a 100 gallon tank. That was in Flat Rock, NC.

Tomorrow we have to go into town and start filling gas cans for the upcoming mowing season for 11 acres. We might have to let the back field go to hay.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:44 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,133,948 times
Wink I-75 will be your best route for directness. Just time it right!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbette View Post
Tinman, I ran the numbers for this route for us, and there is only about 10 miles difference between the two routes, but the route through SC also saves us time.....not to mention the fact that we won't have to deal with Atlanta on a Monday morning!! I have checked the overnite stops and we have decided that we are going to do the 95-26-40 route!! I'll let you know how the timing actually works out!! Thanks for the info!!!
Really, the least number of tangles for you would be to stay on I-75. Just be sure you are hitting it after 9 or 9:30 am. Most of the in city commutes are finished by then. You are good until about 3 or 3:30 pm, then forget it until after 7 pm. It is always crazy, but that will work the best.

When we return home from FL or the Atlanta airport just south of the city, we take I-85, but that would be soooo out of your way to work your way back over to I-75 at Buford, GA on State Hghwy 20. It is about an hour's drive from I-85 to I-75 on a lot of 2 lane roads. I-85 is less of a hassle traffic-wise, but not as direct.

Just try to get there, beachbetter after 9 am and head straight out without any stopping until you are well north (at least, 30 mi. north) of Atlanta. I hate driving to the airport!! I think I had mentioned to you before that we usually drive into the city about 8 pm the night before a morning flight and stay at a motel close to the airport. We always arrange to arrive back at Hartsfield/Jackson Airport after 6 pm, have dinner at one of the restaurants there and then drive the 70 miles north to home.

Just be very careful and watchful. Lots of trucks.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:52 PM

54 posts, read 183,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOWAddict View Post
What is public transportation like in TN?
Public Transportation is a dirty word in Clarksville. I tried their system one time. But because of few buses and screwy routes. It took me 2 1/2 hrs to go 12 miles. I am just going to leave the driving to me.

Old 03-13-2008, 02:10 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
When we moved up here, we hit Atlanta on a Sunday night after 9 p.m. Traffic was CRAZY! I suspect there was a concert or sporting event letting out. Of course, the trailer hauling our stuff broke down after passing through. Fortunately, it was a safe area. I think it was Marietta.

Old 03-13-2008, 05:25 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,517,399 times
Toll Calculator XML version 2.0 (http://www.floridasturnpike.com/TRI/index.htm - broken link)

Toll calculator for all of us leaving FL.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee