Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 07:23 AM

436 posts, read 1,357,520 times

Advertisements

Hello Tennessee,
Just curious here. I am selling my home in Philadelphia and it's been on the market since last April. I know Tennessee is a popular relocation destination. Has the market slump affected your state? I know many states are having problems with this issue. Just wondering if how you are all doing with selling houses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 08:52 AM

13,353 posts, read 39,959,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margel View Post
Hello Tennessee,
Just curious here. I am selling my home in Philadelphia and it's been on the market since last April. I know Tennessee is a popular relocation destination. Has the market slump affected your state? I know many states are having problems with this issue. Just wondering if how you are all doing with selling houses.
It depends on the area. I know I've read that Memphis, Nashville and Knoxville are experiencing a drop in real estate sales, although it hasn't been nearly as dramatic as in places like Florida and Nevada. But in Cookeville it's up about 2% over last year, and I believe mbmouse said things haven't slowed much in the Tri Cities, either.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:13 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,484,450 times
And if home prices keep going lower I am going to buy buy buy!!

Old 02-26-2008, 11:25 AM

364 posts, read 1,112,586 times
Relatives I have in Chattanooga and Maryville. Are seeing more for sale signs and they are staying up longer. I constantly am asking them how the market is.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:42 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,134,645 times
I heard on CNN news this afternoon that nationwide sales are down close to 9% over the last 12 months. There are only 3 metro areas where they have not dropped: Charlotte, NC, Portland, OR (I think) and I forget the third.

(Boy am I a terrible news supplier. This is how rumors get started, kids. Don't try this on your own without adult supervision!!)

I'll get back to you on the other cities - both were west coast. Gotta go check with my anonymous source - Deep Doo-Doo Market!

Here is the info according to Money: CNN.
New home sales*plunge as glut hits prices - Feb. 28, 2007

After checking Money and Investments on MSN, the picture is much rosier!

I guess, in some of these situations, it depends on which guru you want to accept as knowing what he's talking about.

Last edited by mbmouse; 02-26-2008 at 07:57 PM..

Old 02-26-2008, 04:14 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,392,558 times
I believe the third city is Seattle, if that's the same article I read this morning.

In a sense, statistics are very misleading, because they clump large DMAs together, when different neighborhoods within one large grouping can be undergoing vastly different scenarios. I have been looking in one Knoxville neighborhood for a year now, and prices haven't dropped at all, and the good listings still move briskly. Other areas, not so much. Different neighborhood, different picture.

But overall, the picture looks less than rosy, unless you're a sidelined buyer. There's always a silver lining somewhere.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:23 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
I've been looking over the foreclosure news from the past couple of days and Tennessee is not the top state in trouble, but it isn't in great shape, either.

For January 2008, it's ranked 12th in foreclosures.

FORECLOSURE ACTIVITY INCREASES 8 PERCENT IN JANUARY

Old 02-26-2008, 06:20 PM

436 posts, read 1,357,520 times
Then it really isn't great anywhere! And talk about luck...I bought new home at top of market and trying to sell existing home at the bottom of market. Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb!

Old 02-26-2008, 06:31 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,134,645 times
Not necessarily dumb, Margel. We all knew that the rate that home prices were rising was going to come to a nasty end, but no one (except Hik and GBH!) had a clue as to when.

We bought 5 1/2 years ago out of necessity with a job transfer, but are now stuck holding that house - that we really didn't like in the first place - until somebody with a 23 member family comes along to buy it!

We all get caught up either out of choice or necessity, and unless we have the savvy of goodbyehollywood, hiknapster and others with their foresight, we can get into a jam that is going to cost to extricate ourselves.

Hiknapster, we really never would have expected those kinds of numbers for Tennessee as we had been hearing the whole second half of 2007 how healthy the TN market was!

I have to hand it to you and GBH and a couple of others who saw the light while they rest of the world was trying to see through the wool pulled over their eyes!

Old 02-26-2008, 07:11 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
I don't know. I think I had an unfair advantage. I happened to be in the middle of things.

I lived in Florida when it was very affordable, moving there in 1996.

When housing prices shot up in southwest Florida, it just didn't make sense that they could be sustained. The area existed on low-paying service jobs, which was great back when housing was cheap, but wouldn't work now that those $60,000 houses were now going for $240,000. I also knew a lot of people that got mortgages that it didn't seem possible they could ever pay. It was all based on the speculation that prices would keep rising and they would get lots of equity and refinance.

But how could housing prices keep going up?

Figuring out the Knoxville market was pretty easy since I knew that a lot of people in Florida were chomping at the bit to move here due to lower insurance and property rates, but were going to get stuck not being able to sell their houses once the market crashed.

Local developers didn't see it that way and just kept building on the anticipation that people from bad housing markets would get out and move here.

It was common sense, really, but maybe you had to once lived in ground zero for the housing market implosion to really see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee