Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 06:46 PM

23 posts, read 40,907 times

Advertisements

Hey Folks...

So for various reasons, but mostly due to the major political and cultural changes happening in our country and in the world, I am considering moving to the south, and in particular your state of Tennessee.

I know virtually nothing about it. But I've heard some good things. I'm currently single but might start a family within five years or so. I would be starting a small business. I'm a recovering liberal (thank you Trump!).

The American South seems to me, all of the sudden, one of the most interesting places to be right now. I don't want to get overly political, but I have a sense of pride and and love for my country that I've never felt in my adult life (I'm 40). I'm just about done with the attacks on American freedoms and values that I see happening in many ways.

My humble request of you, friends, is simply: Tell me about your state!! Tell me the good and bad, but mostly the good, because I tend to be an optimist. I know there are drawbacks about any place to live, but as an optimist I find I can overcome most of those.

What is the business environment like? Economy? Culture? What are some culture shocks I might be in for? What are your favorite things about it?

I appreciate any and all responses.

Thank you!

Old 12-15-2016, 08:30 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Tennessee is very different from one end to the other; 600 miles across with only about 7 million people. Honestly, your question would be very similar to my asking you to "tell me about California." There are people and experiences on every point in the spectrum from horrible to heavenly.

Can you at least describe what you are envisioning your lifestyle to be so we can narrow it down just a bit?

Old 12-16-2016, 08:28 AM

153 posts, read 197,077 times
From what I've been told by many people, California is a state that is falling apart.

I moved to Tennessee a few months ago. If you want something that is not much of a huge transition coming from the West Coast, the Nashville area is your best bet. Lots of Californian transplants here and they're all great people.

Nashville is also growing in leaps and bounds right now, so if you want to be somewhere where it's slightly tamer, then possibly check out Chattanooga. I've never been out there, but I've heard great things and it's growing steadily and will possibly become an "It City" later down the road.

People here are friendly, the scenery is gorgeous (especially in the Summer) and the food options aren't too bad. Pace of life here is slower, even for the big city like Nashville. And being here pre-election, I've witnessed that the intensity and stress among the people wasn't as crazy as being in Florida (a swing state). People mostly keep their political views to themselves.

Old 12-16-2016, 09:08 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,296,788 times
Like Wmsn4life indicated, Tennessee is vastly different from city to city.

There are 4 major cities, Memphis, Nashville, Knoxville, and Chattanooga. Memphis is its own little world. Nashville is also a bit different from, say, Knoxville. Knoxville and Chattanooga have the same kind of feel (at least to me.

I moved to Knoxville in 94 from Southern CA. We moved here after living most of our life in CA, but felt it was time to find a better place to raise our youngest daughter. We made an excellent choice.

Around all of these major cities are lots of smaller communities, and around those are very small communities. Some parts are very rural.

I'm not sure what you mean by "I'm just about done with the attacks on American freedoms and values that I see happening in many ways.". I can only speak for Knoxville, but for the most part, you don't have any idea where people stand on political issues unless you engage them in conversation. I found that most people keep their opinions to themselves.

As far as.."What is the business environment like? Economy? Culture? What are some culture shocks I might be in for? What are your favorite things about it? ". I guess it really depends on what business you are in, and what part of Tennessee you choose. Businesses that might flourish in Memphis, might fail horribly in Chattanooga, and vise versa. Economy as depends on what area, and where you are in the food chain. There are people in TN that make huge salaries, and others that make minimum wage and struggle to make ends meet. We have some very poor people living in some areas. Culture? It also depends on what your threshold is. Obviously, in the 4 largest cities, there are lots of cultural opportunities, but still less than you would find in Los Angeles, New York City, Chicago, etc.
Culture shock is also very personal. The absolute worst thing you can do is come off with "Why, in (fill in big city your are from) we don't do it this way". We had a friend that had moved here from another Stae, and the entire time she lived here, all she would do was gripe about how Knoxville was not (fill in for current condition) like where she came from. She finally moved back.
When I first moved here I would see dumb drivers, but it didn't take me long to remember seeing dumb drivers in Los Angeles and well. It took a long time for us to get Trader Joes, or Whole Foods, but they finally came. We may never get an IKEA. I get it, the town is not large enough to support it. Though we did get an REI.
So, the culture shock may be you will not be able to find the food you want to eat, or the stores you like to shop. You will likely see people that are below your social strata, but you will also see people that are well above you - just like any other city.
Good luck with your quest.

Old 12-18-2016, 08:55 AM

Thanks for the generous replies.

I did leave my post pretty open, I'll specify further now.

The business would be selling funny/endearing gift mugs to shops and coffee shops. Kind of a fun business and creative, and would require making the sale in person, and would require travel around the region. I wouldn't want to be too remote, but I wouldn't want to move to Tennessee to be smack dab in downtown Memphis. Eastern Tennessee looks gorgeous, but I'd probably need to be closer to a bigger city. There is a decent amount of tourism in Tennessee, and that would play well with the products I have.

Culturally the slower pace of life appeals to me greatly. Some of those big chains mentioned really hold no sway, but it's interesting to note that they've arrived, but that it took a while. That tells me something about the general lifestyle.

The general responses people shared about moving from out of state and settling there are particularly valuable, because as I understand there are great variations across your state, the fact that several people have loved it shows me there's a nice welcoming attitude for folks who are willing to fit in.

I'll probably plan a trip within 6 months or so to check it out, and likely bring some of my product to test out in stores and little shops.

The Chattanooga area seems pretty cool. That's about the right size city I'd be looking for. Maybe in a smaller community outside of it. That's close to some of the great scenery, no?

Old 12-18-2016, 09:48 AM

320 posts, read 540,694 times
Considering your business, I would say that Chattanooga would be a good location for you. You could market your products in the Chattanooga area which is a major tourist draw itself, but also be only a (roughly) 2 hour drive from Nashville, Atlanta, and Knoxville/Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg, which are even bigger tourist markets.

Also, the scenery in Chattanooga would not disappoint.

Old 12-18-2016, 11:24 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
Quote:
Maybe in a smaller community outside of it. That's close to some of the great scenery, no?
Look at Cleveland, TN. it tends to be more conservative.

Old 12-18-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llsmith42 View Post
Considering your business, I would say that Chattanooga would be a good location for you. You could market your products in the Chattanooga area which is a major tourist draw itself, but also be only a (roughly) 2 hour drive from Nashville, Atlanta, and Knoxville/Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg, which are even bigger tourist markets.

Also, the scenery in Chattanooga would not disappoint.
This is great input, thank you.

Old 12-20-2016, 07:29 PM

36 posts, read 43,803 times
The whole state is conservative. Don't be swayed by the large amount of Tennessee transplants who are not very representative of the population of Tennessee who are on city data trying to paint their own picture of tennessee. TRUMP WON YUUUGE HERE!

Old 12-20-2016, 07:42 PM

7,042 posts, read 6,291,056 times
Keep researching each cities forum. I started out looking at Knoxville & now am looking at Cookeville. BUT, my reason is retirement so I have an income + investments.

Do due diligence on locations you are interested in. Be informative about monetary issues; what can you afford, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee