Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2016, 10:32 PM

182 posts, read 226,035 times

Advertisements

Out of the three grand divisions of Tennessee, which one do you like the most (west, middle, east)? Explain your reasoning...scenery, economic vibrancy, location, etc....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2016, 03:09 PM

677 posts, read 1,072,395 times
East due to the beautiful scenery, three major metros, and proximity to major east coast population centers.

Old 12-23-2016, 03:45 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,506,085 times
All unique and very beautiful. Tennessee is blessed with abundant splendor and such wonderful people. I'd give the slight edge to East Tennessee.

Old 12-23-2016, 10:11 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,323,943 times
Middle. Because I live here.

Old 12-23-2016, 11:04 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,535,738 times
Eastern TN. Drop-dead gorgeous area and friendly too. Middle TN is not too far off in either regard.

I do not care for western TN though. Too flat, too hot and too much like Louisiana.

Old 12-24-2016, 08:34 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,935,382 times
If the three large population centers in East Tennessee are "major metros" then Nashville is, what, a gargantuan metro? At any rate, I would not call the three population centers of East Tennessee "major" in the slightest. In my opinion, Tennessee has just two "major" metros (more than 1 million in population): Memphis and Nashville. East Tennessee's three large population centers are fairly evenly spaced and balanced with a little over half a million each (a bit more in Knoxville). However, both the Tri Cities and Chattanooga have big chunks of their metro areas outside of Tennessee.

Each of the three grand divisions has its charms and beauty. West Tennessee gets a lot of flack because it doesn't have the mountains or even big hills of the rest of the state, but I do like its small farming towns and much slower pace. And I love Memphis, warts and all. East Tennessee has beautiful mountains, and its two largest cities, Knoxville and Chattanooga, are seeing a lot of development in their respective downtowns to make them quite attractive.

However, Middle Tennessee has the jobs, the booming economy, the major airport (twice as busy as all the other commercial airports in the state combined), the bulk of the state's universities and colleges including the state's premier research university, medical school, engineering school, and law school, and the energy that comes with hordes of newcomers, huge construction projects, gleaming new high rises, the political center of the state, etc. And Middle Tennessee is beautiful, too. It doesn't have soaring mountains, but it does have rugged ridges and deep hollows in the Highland Rim, especially east of Nashville and even within the Nashville city limits.

For me, I would rank the three grand divisions, all grouped fairly closely together:
Middle Tennessee
East Tennessee
West Tennessee

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 12-24-2016, 08:58 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,241 times
I really prefer Middle Tennessee, economics, culture, beauty, history and people. Educational and economic strength.

My family lives in Knoxville and there is a lot to like there as well. The culture and people are just truly friendly.

Not crazy about hot humid flat west Tn but if I had the $$$ it could do just fine.

If I were coming to the state with no ties, then Middle Tennessee would provide the best mix.

Old 12-24-2016, 09:56 PM

12,831 posts, read 9,025,507 times
If you're talking scenery, then East Tenn. But if you want overall mix, then I agree with JMT that Middle Tenn is overall winner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee