Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 09:31 PM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarkey View Post
From the time I started checking the Meth Offenders site, Anderson County consistently has more people listed than Knox County. As you said, Insane, Knox currently has three. Anderson has 12. That bothered me initially, but I really don't come across anyone who appears to be a meth head. At least not to the point where it shows physically.

Also, I don't hear a lot about drug-related crime in this area, such as robberies or break ins for goodies to sell. The PA area we lived in was a crash course in smash and grab and home invasions to support drug habits. Even the GA area where my daughter lives has a fair amount of drug related crime. Considering the numbers for Anderson County compared to other counties, I thought it would be more of a problem.

And I think it IS more of a problem than other drugs, because it's so easy to manufacture. Though this is strictly the opinion of an old bag who may not be totally up to date on things.
The reason that meth is in the newspapers this week (all over the country) is National Methamphetamine Awareness Day was Thursday. Tennessee seizures are down 60% from 2 years ago and there has been a drop of 47% in the number of meth labs seized since 2005 according to the Tennessee Bureau of Investigations. They attribute it to the simple act of putting over the counter cold medicine containing psuedophedrine behind the counter of the pharmacy last year. If you want to buy it, you have to sign for it and show your drivers license.

I read in one newspaper story the sale of cold medicine is way down sooooo I'm thinking you have less of a chance of being accosted by a meth head and more of a chance of the guy sitting next to you at work, sneezing all over you because he won't treat his cold because he doesn't want anyone to think he's a doper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2006, 09:44 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
I haven't noticed an upswing. Meth is in the news consistently in Knoxville.

Old 12-03-2006, 01:17 PM

95 posts, read 569,198 times
wow! you guys have all been very helpful with useful websites regarding this issue! thanks a lot for your help! anymore info is still of great use!

Old 12-03-2006, 04:45 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,628,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by where_to_move View Post
anymore info is still of great use!
//www.city-data.com/forum/tenne...own-issue.html

Refer to this thread as what I typed was very long. Meth is an issue everywhere and I don't think Tennessee has a higher use problem than most other states almost anywhere in the country for that matter.

A survey recently conducted by the National Association of Counties (NACo) showed that western states have at least as large if not larger meth epidemic. I cut and pasted the following info from a website that had obtained their data, and yes, this is recent (2005-early 2006).

"In Arizona, California, Idaho, Nevada, New Mexico, Utah, Washington and Wyoming, 100 percent reported that meth is the number one drug. However, this information was followed by Oklahoma with 88 percent reporting meth is number one, Iowa at 79 percent, Louisiana at 75 percent, Nebraska at 74 percent and Oregon at 71 percent. This information correlates with the national trend that meth is a drug that is largely popular in western rural areas and is spreading across the country from west to east. In Georgia 63 percent reported that meth is number one. In North Carolina 44 percent reported that meth is number one, and in Alabama 43 percent reported that meth is number one. This information verifies law enforcement trends that meth is growing dramatically in the Southeastern region of the country"

"The majority of meth currently being abused is from outside of the state.
Eighty-five percent reported out-of-state importation and 71 percent reported importation from Mexico. "

So for those who think Tennessee has a big meth problem, well, you are right, but TN definitely does not sit high on the list.

Last edited by TXboomerang; 12-03-2006 at 04:47 PM.. Reason: added more info

Old 01-14-2007, 10:22 AM

2 posts, read 5,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by where_to_move View Post
I have read a lot of people mentioning that METH is a problem "TN is the SE capitol for METH" etc.......but my question is....do you notice it? Is it in the high schools? Or is this something everyone just knows about b/c of the news or do you see this in your own towns? We are thinking of living in Knoxville suburbs like Farragut, Maryville, Oak Ridge...would there be a concern there?

The reason I ask, where I currently live, I have no idea what "drug" is popular & I even work as a physician...so I know a few patients who have addictions, but not one is more than the other...so that makes me concerned that either 1: TN has way too much drugs or 2: the people on these forums, are well informed with the news etc........
Thanks in advance (TIA)
http://www.nida.nih.gov/Infofacts/methamphetamine.html

Old 01-14-2007, 10:51 AM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insanesmooch View Post
The meth list for TN is at:
http://www.tennesseeanytime.org/methor/

It shows 3 right now. I know from at least January to May there were two cases reported on the new where people were in trouble for Meth. Those two are not on the list- probably because it is too early for the cases to be settled through court.
There were recent reports saying that meth making is down now that we have the law that puts cold medicine behind the pharmacy counter. But it said people were importing it from other states more now. I think the article was in the Johnson City Press if you want to look it up.
I don't really think it is any more of a problem than other drugs; it just gets more attention because it is newer than other drugs and can be made easily.
I looked at that list and was surprised at the stats. Hamilton County (Chattanooga) has the highest number of registered meth offenders in the state (68). The second highest (30) was in Bradley County (Cleveland) which is right next to Hamilton County. That one really surprised me.

In third place (27) was Warren County (McMinnville). Considering Warren County's small population I guess McMinnville deserves its nickname "McMethville."

Old 01-15-2007, 12:57 AM

22 posts, read 63,291 times
I just read all the posts here and I am curious, why are any of you feeling comfortable with the stats? because the number of meth lab seizures are down? I didn't see anything to indicate that the usage of meth is dowm, which to me indicates that either meth is finding new ways into TN. or they are doing a much much better job of hiding the labs, or the worst possibilty, the local law enforcement agencies are involved in protecting them and if that's what's happening then the problem is or will be monumental.

Old 01-27-2007, 06:18 PM

29 posts, read 83,797 times
I am a RN, work and live in west TN..The meth problem is epidemic in this part of the state. Local law enforcement trying to get a handle on it, but memphis is moving east and it seems that it can't be stopped. At our hospital we have several deaths each week in the ER from meth OD.

Old 01-27-2007, 07:45 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,628,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim32554 View Post
I just read all the posts here and I am curious, why are any of you feeling comfortable with the stats? because the number of meth lab seizures are down? I didn't see anything to indicate that the usage of meth is dowm, which to me indicates that either meth is finding new ways into TN. or they are doing a much much better job of hiding the labs, or the worst possibilty, the local law enforcement agencies are involved in protecting them and if that's what's happening then the problem is or will be monumental.

The reason I'm not worried about it is because its naive to think that Tennessee has a unique problem with meth. Meth is rampant nationwide, and there are very few states that don't have a serious meth problem.

Old 01-27-2007, 08:34 PM

98 posts, read 430,974 times
I don't think meth use is down. Like one poster said, a lot of it is coming from Mexico now. I saw a documentary about the huge fight for legislation to put cough medicine behind the counter. Once this happened, a huge influx of meth came in from Mexico, because you can pretty much buy any prescription drug you want there. It's no different than any other drug trafficing now.

I didn't really notice that there was a meth problem until I learned about it. I live in the Old City in Knoxville and see homeless people a lot (they're not everywhere.. just some around the Old City and east of downtown). Prior to knowing about the meth problem, I never really thought of homeless people as drug addicts. I know that not all of them are meth heads, but apparently the MAJORITY of them are.

You know how sometimes someone walks by and you think to yourself "woah that person is crazy?" The more I learn about how many people are meth addicts, the more I tend to notice potential users. When you frequent the same neighborhoods you notice weird things sometimes. I'm a student at UT so pretty much all my friends live in the Fort Sanders area. Pretty much everyone who lives in the Fort are college students so it's kind of odd when you see others who aren't students. A house near my old apartment always had 6 or 7 30-50 year old people hanging out on the porch. They were always different people too, just looking sketchy. I actually saw a woman walk out of the house one day and just pass out in the bushes. A cop came over to help her and talk to her. He asked her if she was drunk and she claimed she wasn't, but she just kept babbling. I'm pretty sure she was on something..

Another house I noticed... (I'm very observant I guess) has a front porch. The guy who lives in it pretty much barracaded the front porch so the only attachment it had with the outside was the stairs up to it.. He is ALWAYS sitting on his front porch watching tv.. He has furniture, a tv, all kinds of crap on his front porch. It's like he turned it into his living room. No matter what time you walk past the house, he is sitting there. 3PM? Yep. 3AM? Yep. I'm assuming he doesn't have a job. During football season, he lets people park in his yard for football games and charges 20 dollars, probably making about 400 dollars per gameday. Sometimes, he puts random things in his yard, with a sign that says "For Sale". He won't be out there though, just the things. If you want to buy something, you have to go find him. I once saw a tent, a bicycle, and a table for sale in the front yard. Before knowing of the problem, I would've just thought he was some crazy guy, but I guess he's probably a drug addict.

Wow, I'm rambling now. To answer your question, the problem doesn't seem to come after you in Knoxville. If you choose to notice what's going on, you can, but as far as I've seen, it doesn't come knocking at your door. I actually live down a kind of scary looking alley in the Old City (I don't think it's scary) but we see people using drugs sometimes in the alley (from our balcony). It's actually quite interesting. We live down an alley and have a two floor apartment. We have a balcony on the 2nd floor, so we can see everything going on in the alley, without anyone being able to see us (unless they look up and they never do). Sometimes I like to get my electric guitar, turn it up as high as it goes, and play the deliverance theme while there are people out there doing illicit activities. It's pretty funny. Ok I'm done babbling. Again, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I don't think it will bother you unless you start using it! (Bad idea)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee