Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 02:51 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliott View Post
That is a good point, but at the same time, if something isn't really sustainable, then it's still a losing battle. I think that's the major dilemma of modern farmers. If they go the way they should go, then they could end up losing money, and if they keep planting over and over like they do, they'll lose money in the long-term. It's a paradox sort of.

I think though that the most important thing for anyone entering farming to do is this: buy your land outright before you start farming. If you own the land already, you can cover some losses, but if you buy the land and rely on the harvest to pay for the mortgage, one bad season can cause a lifetime of struggles.

That's what I'm planning to do. I'm saving my money now, and in five or so years I should have enough to buy a small bit of farmland. Then, once I own it free and clear, I can start farming it, investing in it, etc.

In my opinion, probably the biggest threat to farmers is a lack of self sufficiency. They owe money for their land, their tractors, their supplies, etc and are reliant on their harvest just to break even. Tractors go for thousands upon thousands of dollars. I know this may sound sort of backwards, but from experience (I come from a family of farmers, and my family did it this way for years), using mules and all is a lot cheaper than tractors. With a team of good mules, you can plough fields at a decent enough rate. Sure, it's harder work, but what's profitable and not hard work? I think modern farming has become too reliant on convenient, yet at the same time not entirely necessary and very expensive, additions like huge tractors and all. It's the same with chemical pesticides and fertilisers. Sure, they help, but there are cheaper (and natural, since I grow mostly organic) alternatives out there. They require more work to do, but they keep you out of a banker's pocket at the same time. For example, if you get a mixture of dish-washing liquid and water and spray it on the leaves of your plants, it'll keep most bugs off. It takes more time and effort to apply it than chemical pesticides, but it's cheaper. There are also natural fertilisers out there. Growing peanuts, like I said earlier, puts a HUGE amount of nitrogen into the soil. That, a bit of buttermilk and ground lime to adjust the soil's pH and maybe a few other things, and you've got some natural and cheap alternatives to the expensive, modern chemical fertilisers.
Interesting post! What are you going to farm? Are you going organic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 03:57 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,134,645 times
Smile This is an uplifting post, Eliott.

Good for you, Eliott. We'll be anxiously awaiting all of your wonderful organic produce. I sure hope you are in the Knoxville area!

Thanks for your post. It is very inspiring and hopeful.

Old 03-04-2008, 04:52 PM

7 posts, read 43,502 times
Well, whether it makes it to Knoxville depends on how big of an operation it turns out to be, but hopefully it will! I'm looking at doing it organic, although I might not get it certified organic because of the hassle to get it certified, like paying to have it inspected to make sure pesticides haven't been used for at least five years and all. What I'm gonna grow is also up for grabs, although I'm thinking okra because I've had pretty good luck with it when I've done it on a small-scale. Despite the heat wave and drought last summer, I got more okra than I knew what to do with it.

Old 03-04-2008, 04:55 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,190,154 times
-----although I might not get it certified organic----

if it ain't certified organic,don't advertise it as such

Old 03-05-2008, 02:18 AM

I'm sure Elliot won't advertise it as such.

I have bought from a farmer that goes down to the Oak Ridge farmer's market. He is not certified, either, and says the same thing. It is a long process. He just has a small family farm waaaay to the west of Oak Ridge.

I love buying from local farms. Sometimes I trust them more than the BIG companies that are organic. There's a huge conglomerate out of CT that sells frozen vegetables that is certified organic. The vegetables come from China. No thank you.

Old 03-05-2008, 02:21 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times
Oh, this talk makes me anxious for the start up of our local farmers markets! I love roadside stands also.

Old 03-05-2008, 03:57 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,211,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
Oh, this talk makes me anxious for the start up of our local farmers markets! I love roadside stands also.
Here's ours:

Nashville Farmers' Market :: Nashville's Public Market Since 1828

For anyone new to Nashville, it's worth a trip to the Farmer's Market for spring flowers and to take a leisurely stroll around Bicentennial Mall. And if the weather is warm and you have little kids, put them in their swim suits and let them play in the spray-up fountains at the mall. I almost got my picture in the newspaper one time for playing in the fountains with my "adopted" granddaughter . . . and I was in a coat and tie (yes, I'm an idiot).

Old 03-05-2008, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
Here's ours:

Nashville Farmers' Market :: Nashville's Public Market Since 1828

For anyone new to Nashville, it's worth a trip to the Farmer's Market for spring flowers and to take a leisurely stroll around Bicentennial Mall. And if the weather is warm and you have little kids, put them in their swim suits and let them play in the spray-up fountains at the mall. I almost got my picture in the newspaper one time for playing in the fountains with my "adopted" granddaughter . . . and I was in a coat and tie (yes, I'm an idiot).
That would be a fantastic shot! I can't imagine what they picked, instead.

I've been to the Oak Ridge and Knoxville farmer's markets and they have been a huge disappointment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee