Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2008, 11:41 AM

9 posts, read 28,571 times

Advertisements

It has always been my dream to own some rural land.

I currently live in Illinois, and would like to buy a small piece of land along the nort weste portion of Tennessee. Does anyone know if it is possible to buy small plots of land? Maybe like 10-25 acres? I know sometimes it is hard to find smaller plots of rural land.

The reason I am looking for land is for this land would be for Timberland or recreation. I know I may have to pay someone to tend the land while I am not there which is fine with me.

The land doesn’t even need to have a house on it. Does any of you have any ideas? If this post is to vague please tell me so I can narrow down what I am looking for (I am new to this site so bare with me).

Thanks, Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 02:12 PM
DRD

37 posts, read 124,354 times
Smile West Tennessee Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by mputnick View Post
It has always been my dream to own some rural land.

I currently live in Illinois, and would like to buy a small piece of land along the nort weste portion of Tennessee. Does anyone know if it is possible to buy small plots of land? Maybe like 10-25 acres? I know sometimes it is hard to find smaller plots of rural land.

The reason I am looking for land is for this land would be for Timberland or recreation. I know I may have to pay someone to tend the land while I am not there which is fine with me.

The land doesn’t even need to have a house on it. Does any of you have any ideas? If this post is to vague please tell me so I can narrow down what I am looking for (I am new to this site so bare with me).

Thanks, Matt

Check out these realtors, there is tons of vacant land down here.

Bass Realty Online

Moody Realty Company, Inc. - Real Estate in Paris

RE/Max Cornerstone Real Estate | Paris Tennessee new homes, rental, kentucky lake property

Good luck in your search.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:31 AM

21 posts, read 455,307 times
We bought 28 acres outside of Paris a few years ago. It is wooded with about 5 acres cleared that we have cut every other year to keep it clear. We really like the Paris area and its proximity to the Kentucky Lake. We went through Moody Realty. They were helpful and patient. Closing on property are much more "relaxed" there than they are in Rhode Island. In RI, closings are very "up-tight". When we closed in Paris, it was more like a great big visit because everyone present knew each other and they were in no rush. Good thing the lawyer didn't charge by the hour

Old 03-02-2008, 11:43 AM

PLCRI - Where did you learn about buying land in Tennessee when you were in Rhode Island? Before I make any moves I want to do some more research. Were the agents at Moody able to help you with your research?

Old 03-02-2008, 11:44 AM

Thanks for the help with agency. Is there a good place to find research on buying land in Tennessee that you may know of?

Thanks again, Matt

Old 03-03-2008, 12:48 PM

21 posts, read 455,307 times
Hi mputnick,

We purchased our property about 5 years ago. We wanted to take advantage of low rates. We started out by making a list of what we would want to do and what the ideal weather would be like, then of course, price. (Also, which states we did not want.) We like having 4 seasons, and TN seemed to be great. We wanted to be able to have a few animals and wanted a place with a stream. We went on-line and did hours and hours of research. Used realtor.com and this site a lot.

Once we had our climate figured out, price was next. It really cuts down on the areas you look at purchasing when you have a limit on spending. Anyway, one day while at the eye doctor's office, I picked up a retirement magazine and it featured Paris, TN. We had been searching on-line for places for so long, that this seemed as good a place as any. We looked on-line and saw many places that we could afford. Called Moody realty which was one of the listing agents. They were very nice, and they liked their town very much. We didn't base our decision on info from the realtor. We looked at data such as unemployment and population growth. We didn't want the property do go backwards in value. We weren't going to be looking for jobs, since we won't move till we retire, but that is an indication of how the area is doing. We talked with them about what type of land we were looking for and we flew down. He showed us many properties that were within the description of what we had given him. We ended up selecting a place in Springville. We liked the proximity to Kentucky Lake and Paris. The town has grown a lot in the past few years. Once a year we go down there and take my son. We have gone boating on the lake and camping. My son is 17 now and he (we) like to try to tear down a part of a beaver dam that is now there. It is amazing how big those dams get. Must have flooded about 2 acres. Lots of giant dead trees. The 4 foot section we break down gets built back up within 2 days. This year we plan on going in September so we can go to the State Fair in Nashville. I think the fair grounds are as big as the state of RI

Let me know if I can be of any more help.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:31 PM

2 posts, read 3,631 times
I too bought near Paris TN in Springville TN. Plan to build there one day. I bought almost 9 acres in Brookvale Estates using Moderator cut: realty company. I had a very pleasant transaction with them. I worked with Moderator cut: agent, who went the extra mile with taking trips to the property, taking pictures and answering multiple questions. Flew out there from San Diego. Love the area. Wouldn't mind getting the underbrush cleared sometime so if PLC RI has any good POC's for this...please send. Hopefully it will be a good investment. You may want to check out landandfarm.com That's where I did a lot of my research. Good luck!

Ci vediamo pui tardi!
Wade

Last edited by Beretta; 05-07-2008 at 09:43 PM.. Reason: removed advertising information

Old 05-08-2008, 08:56 PM

117 posts, read 446,053 times
Howdy neighbors! We bought just down the road in Holladay.

mputnick,
I highly recommend the Henry/Benton County area. Close to Kentucky Lake, several great state parks. Lots of wooded areas, deer and turkey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
View detailed profiles of: