Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 12:21 PM

171 posts, read 233,324 times

Advertisements

We need to keep in mind that the OP is from Southern California and may be used to traffic, higher cost of living, and other things that come with being close to a metro like Nashville. Nashville's metro area population, which includes Murfreesboro, is close to 2 million and Knoxville's is just shy of 1 million. IMHO, besides being the state capital, Nashville is a large metropolitan city with many big city amenities & a Southern feel, but Knoxville feels more like a college town. There are good schools in many parts of Nashville (Wilson, Sumner, Rutherford and Williamson county schools) and in Knoxville (Knox County Schools - I've heard especially good things about the schools that feed into Farragut HS.)

If your husband gets a job in Nashville, living close to where he works may be a major factor to consider as the commutes in Nashville can be lengthy. It all depends on what you are used to in So Cal and what your family is able to tolerate going forward. Personally, for me and my family, Knoxville would be too small as I've spent almost my entire life living in the suburbs of larger metros. We lived in Columbia, SC for one year and in the end, it wasn't a good fit for us. We often traveled to Charlotte for big city amenities. Luckily, we chose to rent in Columbia and once our lease was up, we had money saved up to move to a larger city again.

Last edited by Sunflower_gal; 04-02-2017 at 12:22 PM.. Reason: more to add
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 11:19 AM

586 posts, read 555,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montezia View Post
In general Nashville is a very urban area. I've visited Nashville often in my lifetime, but I never read recalled seeing much natural scenery. I would have to imagine more of it would be outside Nashville.

In my opinion it seems to be a pint-sized version of nyc. Not much scenery except in the parks. Of course you have your little tree areas here and there, but if you're looking to see some natural scenery this might not be the place to go.
Nashville is nothing like NYC. In fact, in many ways it's quite the opposite.

First of all, Nashville has two of the largest urban parks in the country—Warner Parks—which are almost 3.75 times bigger than Central Park. There are a number of large city parks, greenways and green spaces of size (Shelby, Centennial, McCabe, Bicentennial Mall, the TN State Capitol, Opryland Hotel) sprinkled throughout the area. There are two medium-sized lakes (Percy Priest and Old Hickory), and a smaller one (Radnor) that have boating, trails or other water-based draws. The river area is becoming redeveloped but is still something less than what it could be.

Nashville doesn't have a huge theatre scene, but it does have one. There are plenty of music clubs but these skew towards country or honky-tonk. The amount of public art has increased significantly, but it certainly isn't on every corner like in NYC. The shopping is okay, the restaurant scene is akin to any mid/large-sized southern city like Charlotte or Atlanta. Public transportation is virtually non-existent compared to NYC, and it's neither a biking or pedestrian-friendly city except in certain areas. It is a great travel hub and is very convenient by car or plane to get quickly to a large number of cities. There is no real rail service or bus service like you would find in NYC or DC (Megabus, etc).

Old 04-25-2017, 12:29 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,473,389 times
In case the OP ever comes back...in the Nashville area I'd expand my horizons from Franklin and look to either Mt. Juliet or Hendersonville/Gallatin. Good schools in those areas but also closer access to lakes than Franklin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelfer View Post
There are two medium-sized lakes (Percy Priest and Old Hickory), and a smaller one (Radnor) that have boating, trails or other water-based draws.
Just to clarify, Radnor Lake has great trails but no boating, fishing, canoeing, or other water activities.

Old 04-25-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
In case the OP ever comes back...in the Nashville area I'd expand my horizons from Franklin and look to either Mt. Juliet or Hendersonville/Gallatin. Good schools in those areas but also closer access to lakes than Franklin.

Just to clarify, Radnor Lake has great trails but no boating, fishing, canoeing, or other water activities.
True. It's a good backdrop otherwise.

Oh and in a larger circle you're close to Henry Horton State Park, Fall Creek Falls, Mammoth Cave and other cool outdoor activities. There's plenty to do outside.

Old 04-25-2017, 01:26 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,722,397 times
Quote:
Warner Parks—which are almost 3.75 times bigger than Central Park.

This may be true, but the amenities and usable space in CP is so much greater/better.

Old 04-25-2017, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
This may be true, but the amenities and usable space in CP is so much greater/better.
Well like I said—Nashville and NYC are very different areas. The person commented that Nashville had little green space (which is inaccurate) and that Nashville was like a mini-NYC (also inaccurate). Nashville's approach to green space is also a product of the WPA and was placed in the boonies, whereas NYC had already become a sprawling metropolis and CP was placed in the middle. If a city with 8 million-plus people had grown up around Warner and we had real winters down here and a lot of money, Warner would probably have many more features than it does. It's also extremely hilly where CP is relatively flat and therefore easier to build in.

As far as "better," well that depends on what you're looking for in a park. I love the trails in Warner and have gotten so used to them and memorized the layout, that I can't find a substitute park that I like anywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee