Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 01:28 AM

6 posts, read 17,879 times

Advertisements

Okay, so I have been researching Tennessee for years now and I have road tripped through it a couple times. I still feel torn on where we should move. I am looking at Franklin (might be too expensive) and Spring Hill around the Nashville area and I am looking at Oak Ridge in the Knoxville area so far.
Here is our story. My husband and I are from Southern California and have always wanted to move away from here. My husband is a police officer and I am currently a stay at home mom to our 2 year old daughter and 5 month old son. I want to live somewhere that will be a great place for our kids to grow up. Education and a good school district are very important. We definitely do not want to be in a big city, but nothing too small. Our budget looks like it may be $300k or less to buy a 4+ bedroom home. Possibly up to $350k. My husband and I are republican and have a lot of what I would say are Christian values, but we are not religious at all. We really like the outdoors, so a place where we can go on hikes, play sports, fish, camp, get to the mountains for snowboarding, etc. would be great!
Also, in the back of my mind I am making sure that the area we move in will be good for my parents and my adult sister with Down Syndrome that lives with them because I am sure they will be following us when we go. My dad has always wanted to live on a lake and my sister does need adult special education programs (great looking one in Franklin).

So some questions:
Would the Knoxville or Nashville area be better? Do these places have good school districts in your opinion? Would we be treated differently for not going to church in these areas? If you were a kid where would you most want to grow up? What is just the overall feel of living in these areas? Are there other areas you would suggest?

Overall I just really want to live in a place that will give my kids all that I think they deserve and the best we can give them. I would also really like to live in a place where I don't have to feel afraid to tell people there that my husband is a cop when it comes up in conversation.

We will be visiting again this summer and I would love to know what you would suggest we do to really get a feel for each area! I greatly appreciate any input and opinions! Please add any information you think I may have forgotten to ask about. Thank you so much!

Last edited by Chelzzz; 01-24-2017 at 01:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 08:53 PM

320 posts, read 540,372 times
For your needs, I think either Franklin or Oak Ridge would be great, but Oak Ridge is going to be wayyy more affordable and less congested. Spring Hill(Williamson County Side) is a good area too and a little cheaper than Franklin,but relatively isolated from Nashville. You can't beat the schools in Franklin, but Oak Ridge has great schools too (having a national research labotatory in town kind of demands so). Have you checked out the Maryville area? Schools there or good too and you'd be closer to the mountains. I would also look into Murfreesboro/Rutherford County. Homes there are cheaper than Williamson County, but schools are decent.

Just due to the general layout of Franklin and its neighborhoods and great schools, I think growing up there would be best, but I guess it depends on your kids. East tennessee has more lakes and better fishing, and mountains.

All of the areas mentioned are deep red conservative on a political map. Franklin and Spring Hill are full of transplants (like yourselves).

Old 01-31-2017, 08:44 PM

1,323 posts, read 4,699,102 times
I also live in California (Sacramento area) and I also want to leave the state. My wife and I purchased property in Monterey, TN (between Cookeville and Crossville). We plan to build our retirement home there. One of the moderators on this forum says schools are excellent in Cookeville. It is a small city of around 30,000 people and offers all of the goods and services you could ever need. It also has a hospital and a university. There is a Cookeville forum within the Tennessee forum which may be helpful to you. You can also find a lot of information about cities and towns in Tennessee by clicking on the link below. Good luck in finding that special place.

//www.city-data.com/city/Tennessee.html

Old 02-12-2017, 06:09 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,622,028 times
Monterey is a VERY small town. Lots of trailers and properties on acres. Cookeville is much nicer and has the amenities most retirees are looking for. Fairfield Glade is mainly a retirement community and has a diverse population. I visited a friend who retired there and he and his wife seem to be very happy there after being there for 7 years..closer to Knoxville takes about an hour getting there.

Old 03-29-2017, 11:46 AM

606 posts, read 419,070 times
I am from TN. I would highly suggest Knoxville. While Nashville has a lot to do, Knoxville is situated in the mountains. It's a very scenic area. I've only driven through there but I know enough about Nashville to recommend against for you.

Old 03-30-2017, 08:02 AM

182 posts, read 226,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montezia View Post
I am from TN. I would highly suggest Knoxville. While Nashville has a lot to do, Knoxville is situated in the mountains. It's a very scenic area. I've only driven through there but I know enough about Nashville to recommend against for you.
What kind of scenery is Nashville situated in

Old 03-30-2017, 10:01 AM

606 posts, read 419,070 times
In general Nashville is a very urban area. I've visited Nashville often in my lifetime, but I never read recalled seeing much natural scenery. I would have to imagine more of it would be outside Nashville.

In my opinion it seems to be a pint-sized version of nyc. Not much scenery except in the parks. Of course you have your little tree areas here and there, but if you're looking to see some natural scenery this might not be the place to go.

Old 03-30-2017, 06:03 PM

592 posts, read 589,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montezia View Post
In general Nashville is a very urban area. I've visited Nashville often in my lifetime, but I never read recalled seeing much natural scenery. I would have to imagine more of it would be outside Nashville.

In my opinion it seems to be a pint-sized version of nyc. Not much scenery except in the parks. Of course you have your little tree areas here and there, but if you're looking to see some natural scenery this might not be the place to go.
Huh?.. This is probably the most inaccurate post I've seen on these forums lol.

Old 03-30-2017, 10:58 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
I think it's pretty obvious that with a one-salary household the best place for you to live is where your husband can find work. If he finds a job, then figure out how far the family wants to live in relation to it and narrow it down from there.

Old 03-31-2017, 06:17 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I think it's pretty obvious that with a one-salary household the best place for you to live is where your husband can find work. If he finds a job, then figure out how far the family wants to live in relation to it and narrow it down from there.
I don't really disagree, but living in Williamson County especially, or anywhere in metro Nashville, is going to require a lot more from that one income that living somewhere around Knoxville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee