Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2012, 01:19 PM

53 posts, read 149,116 times

Advertisements

According to Jackson Sun...which says it's according to Business Facilities Magazine:

"A national economic development publication has ranked Tennessee No. 1 for Automotive Manufacturing Strength, but the state ranked eighth in overall business climate in the 2012 survey. First place in that category went to Texas."

http://www.jacksonsun.com/article/20...nclick_check=1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 12:43 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,798,538 times
Tennessee might have a great business climate--unlike California, sadly.

However, Tennessee allows for guns in bars and proposed bills for "don't say 'gay'" and banning sharia law--unlike California, fortunately.

Virginia also has a great business climate and is more tolerant in their social mentality. I would also throw Indiana and Georgia (thanks to ATL) in that camp. I think I'd set up shop there, instead.

All that said, Tennesseeans and Southerners in general have a happier disposition in life. Here in California, you have to go inland (Sacramento, Chico, Sierras, far NorCal, desert, San Diego suburbs) or to remote coastal communities to find more laid back and less type-A personalities. I sometimes miss the Southern hospitality I grew up with!

Old 08-01-2012, 08:59 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
However, Tennessee allows for guns in bars and proposed bills for "don't say 'gay'" and banning sharia law--unlike California, fortunately.
You might be surprised to know that most of those "off the wall" proposals come from a state senator named Stacey Campfield. Mr. Campfield is actually a New Yorker that relishes the national recognition that this grandstanding affords him. However, I don't know how long he will stay in elected office. A lot of Tennesseans are sick of the embarrassment. This year, when he walked into Knoxville's Bistro at The Bijou he was thrown out by the owner.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:02 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,798,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
You might be surprised to know that most of those "off the wall" proposals come from a state senator named Stacey Campfield. Mr. Campfield is actually a New Yorker that relishes the national recognition that this grandstanding affords him. However, I don't know how long he will stay in elected office. A lot of Tennesseans are sick of the embarrassment. This year, when he walked into Knoxville's Bistro at The Bijou he was thrown out by the owner.
Well, I learned something new today. I knew something was a bit "off" in Tennessee politics. Tennesseans are more like Kentuckians, North Carolinians and Virginians than the very Deep South Alabamans and Mississippians, and Nashville and Knoxville are fast-growing and fairly dynamic metro regions.

Last edited by JMT; 08-01-2012 at 01:59 PM.. Reason: Let's watch our language, please.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:34 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times
Quote:
Well, I learned something new today. I knew something was a bit "off" in Tennessee politics. Tennesseans are more like Kentuckians, North Carolinians and Virginians than the very Deep South Alabamans and Mississippians, and Nashville and Knoxville are fast-growing and fairly dynamic metro regions.
Major rep points to you for this post!

I have a live-and-let-live attitude and admire anyone that sticks to their beliefs, whatever they are usually. But when you propose legislation to garner national attention, trying to make a name for yourself off the backs of others, well it really irritates me. It also ticks me off that he is a carbetbagger from the northeast, as I am too, and it really embarrasses me.

Last edited by JMT; 08-01-2012 at 02:00 PM.. Reason: Removed quote that was removed from the previous post.

Old 08-04-2012, 03:37 PM

263 posts, read 614,036 times
Quote:
I repped you on that one too, EE. I was out of TN for a couple of years, then came back home and thought I'd entered some foreign land. The stuff going on here is totally out of character for our state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
View detailed profiles of: