Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2008, 03:24 PM

15 posts, read 60,057 times

Advertisements

Hello all! My wife and I have stumbled across an amazing opportunity for creekfront land in "Coker Creek, TN" area. We know nothing about this area other than it's near Tellico Plains which we are only familiar with by riding our motorcycles through each year. Can anyone advise reasons to consider or avoid the Coker Creek area please? Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 07:47 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,858,076 times
Default Remote Mtn ?

D: HalfBack , 2 wheeler here. Believe the area should be remote Mtn region. Yes, scenic, fully retire maybe OK. Not much close for jobs. JUst North of the Summer famous raft area Ocoee, outfitters white water, but last year drought has that kind of Fun almost Dry up . Pic is of Olympic Welcome center rt #64.
. Yes, you are close to higher Smoky Mtn park, but also colder in Winter. We had Coker Creek thread before. Many people come from out of State and are AFRAID of a FLOOD, pice of Property. Really have to look IN PERSON ,how STEEP the lot may be. I have many people from FLA, asking about the low $ acerage, West of Dayton on Lone Mtn. . Hard to have a horse on the side of a cliff. 73 degrees today, was out on Dirt Bike again .
. . . Anything along rt # 411 should be nice, and not so remote. IMO.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:42 AM

15 posts, read 60,057 times
Thanks SPLIT. That's exactly the kind of information I needed! Looking at the photo you posted brings on sad thoughts as to what's happening to the region up there. Is most of TN suffering the same fate from the drought? Are we going to start seeing the waterfalls of TN and NC slowly fade away each year?

Old 03-05-2008, 12:54 PM

37,748 posts, read 40,820,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by { Durf } View Post
Thanks SPLIT. That's exactly the kind of information I needed! Looking at the photo you posted brings on sad thoughts as to what's happening to the region up there. Is most of TN suffering the same fate from the drought? Are we going to start seeing the waterfalls of TN and NC slowly fade away each year?
I think overdevelopment is a bigger problem.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:04 PM

1 posts, read 5,660 times
Things to know:
The Ocoee Whitewater Center looks dry because they let water out of the dam further upstream on a set schedule. Summer 2 to 4 times a day. It is actually quite a sight to see all that water come down the river. Then come the white-water rafters and kayakers.
Coker Creek is a beautiful place. But, make no mistake, it is rural, major stores are 45 minutes away, no matter WHICH road you take. Broadband cable is not there, ONLY dial-up! The "brown eggs" are on the porch, take your eggs and leave your money in the jar.(Please do not waken Mamie, if she is napping, she gathered the eggs!) The Norwegian Spruce in her front yard is not as old as she is. The food at the Davis's gas station North of Coker Creek village is REALLY GOOD. From Coker Creek, no matter which way you go, it is more than 20 miles to the nearest stop sign. Coker Creek is surrounded by the Cherokee National Forest and has some of the wildest areas called "Hells". Chiggers love the area. And lots of snakes. And I am moving there as soon as I can figure out how to afford it. It is truly a special place. Good luck in your search.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:45 AM

300 posts, read 1,453,756 times
My family is from Coker Creek and I am up there pretty much every week. It use to be strictly “back woods”, but it seems there are more people from other states living there than not. There are some step areas where people live on the Ridges. My family lives near Duckett Ridge. They accept outsiders a little more than 20 years ago, because they see them as $$$ more now than an inconvenience. If the land you desire to purchase is VERY cheap, you really need to go check it out in person, it is most likely a rocky hillside on the ridge. The area is laid back and to venture out will require a long drive, shopping, out to eat, etc. There are some good places to eat down in Tellico Plains and you cannot beat the area for nature activities. Although the area is growing rapidly, you still have that old home place feel to it. That in itself is very nice. Some spectacular views up there, several celebrities have land in the area. Winter up there can cause you to get “snowed in” at times, it does not take much up there to make the roads hard to pass. But being snowed in on that mountain is not necessarily a bad thing. Jobs in the area suck right now. People are driving 60+ miles to find good work. Just a note, prejudice still reigns supreme in those mountains, they do not make certain races feel very welcomed there. Not saying I feel the same way, just saying that may be something you need to know. They have some great festivals, lots of home town activities to participate in. A beautiful place….but like any other….has a few negatives to go with the many positives.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:12 PM

2 posts, read 10,733 times
Default RE: Easts Tennessee

How did this area get it's Coker name?

Old 01-25-2009, 05:17 PM

2 posts, read 10,733 times
Default RE: Forest Breth

I love your title, this area reminds me of a hiddden place or a place that does not exist anymore. Do you know how this area got the coker name?

Old 01-25-2009, 07:01 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,858,076 times
Thumbs up Town Website link .

L.T.; Here is the town website link http://cokercreek.org/chamber/ 1st place to start reading . CONTACT id on the left column.
. Another resource page here Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed
.Most of this region is Indian territory in the Cherokee national forest.
Some Railroad areas just to the north can be found under the term "OVERHILL Communities".
ENJOY

Last edited by Yac; 02-24-2009 at 06:02 AM..

Old 08-04-2012, 03:47 AM

1 posts, read 3,263 times
I live in Athens, TN -- a decent sized, college town. Coker Creek is approximately 70 minutes from us. Tellico Plains is about 45-55 minutes. We know both of these drives very well as we go weekly to an open mic in Tellico, and we go monthly to pan for gold in Coker Creek. The drive is, not only very scenic, but is not heavily traveled which makes for a quick, relaxing drive. If you are concerned about the closeness of cities (and the amenities thereof), you really wouldn't be too far in the boondocks; reaching civilization is fairly quick. The waterfalls there are GORGEOUS, and while that part of Coker Creek is tourist directed, Coker Creek is not overflowed with tourists. I used to live in Murphy, NC (which was 3 hours in any direction from a major city, and it took me 30 minutes just to get to the center of Murphy from my home there.

I would suggest making out a pros and cons list (what you like about the property {price, scenery, etc...} and what turns you off about it {perhaps your line of work requires you to be very close to a major city -- less than 1 hour or what ever else would negatively affect your decision}). And before you add "distance" to your list -- one way or the other -- take a drive from the property to the closest larger city that meets your "city" needs. If that is impossible (but I strongly suggest it because sometimes the quality of the drive outweighs the quantity of minutes spent driving), plug the route into a GPS and get "real time" travel time at specific times in the day and on specific days of the week that concern you.

The mountains are spectacular, and as you mentioned your bike travels through blue ridge, you must already know this!! It really is a great area... WAY WAY WAY better than Murphy, NC (and Murphy is bigger) As someone mentioned here, the people in Coker Creek are more accepting of "outsiders" than they were years ago; Murphy still hasn't come around to this, I don't think!! And sometimes it's not the size of the city that counts, but the authenticity of it and the people who live there.

And I wanted to reply to LauraC -- I saw so much development happen in Murphy, and it was mostly Floridians who (back when the investor's market was booming) bought up all kinds of land to build on. And then when the housing market dropped, all those properties were left abandoned; they couldn't be sold "at cost" even and so many trees were removed for absolutely no reason. The drive through Tellico trails -- NC/TN -- has begun to be developed -- and TONS ANS TONS of trees get removed on a regular basis.....still.

Well, take care...... and whoever out there sees this and is considering a move to Coker Creek, I wish you the very best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee