Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 06:09 PM

5 posts, read 8,108 times

Advertisements

Thinking of buying land for relocation, investment, or both purposes. I would want at least 5 acres that I can have live stock, shoot guns and hunt in my back yard. I am an air conditioning salesman so I would need to live no more then 30 min from a big city. I do have 3 kids so good schools are important too. So my question is: What part of Tennessee is best for me based on my needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 05:38 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
What is your budget? How old are your kids?

5 acres is not very much for that. Have you owned acreage before?

Old 02-24-2017, 08:02 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
I agree with Wmsn4Life. You must consider what is surrounding your 5 acres. If there are other properties I would not be shooting, squirrels maybe. A .22 can travel up to a mile and a 30.06 over 3 miles. As well gunfire may agitate your neighbors, I know.
And 5 acres is not much for large live stock like cows. You need to determine how much will be pasture and also the yield per acre. Generally need at the very least 1 acre per large animal IMO. Goats not so much but you will need very good fencing.

My suggestion is pick one of the big cities, research jobs and schools in the area as well as hunting areas then working on finding property.

Old 02-25-2017, 12:38 AM

K

Old 02-25-2017, 12:41 AM

Kids will be in middle school when we move up. I would just want some chickens and pigs maybe that's it. I hear Chattanooga is booming and has alot of nice surrounding suburbs. Whitwell Tennessee seams like a nice area and the high school is also ranked good. My budget is 20-25 grand

I was wondering if you can shed some insight based off your experience. I appreciate your thoughts

Old 02-25-2017, 12:42 AM

I would want some land flat for livestock and some wooded to camp and hunt in

Old 02-25-2017, 04:55 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrettg View Post
My budget is 20-25 grand
Did you want a house on that land also?

Old 02-27-2017, 08:01 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Kids will be in middle school when we move up. I would just want some chickens and pigs maybe that's it. I hear Chattanooga is booming and has alot of nice surrounding suburbs. Whitwell Tennessee seams like a nice area and the high school is also ranked good. My budget is 20-25 grand

I was wondering if you can shed some insight based off your experience. I appreciate your thoughts
Quote:
I would want some land flat for livestock and some wooded to camp and hunt in

It would be easier to find 5 acres (for 20-25K) withing 30 min. drive in the lesser populated more rural areas. The closer to the bigger cities the more expensive the property, generally. Keep in mind in suburbs and within city limits you may not be permitted to have pigs, chickens most likely no problem.
Have you even checked the land prices in Whitwell? You would be doing really well to find a 5 acre tract for 20-25K.

I dont know what you are wanting to hunt on your land but 5 acres is not a lot of land to hunt on especially if you are surrounded by houses. And even if there are no house adjoining now, they will come. It seems you want a rural setting while being near the big city for work and better schools. Those don't usually go hand in hand.

Old 02-27-2017, 02:43 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,239,323 times
First, a 5-acre lot within 30 mins of a large city... you'll be competing with daily commuters in that range. Doctors and lawyers working downtown would also love a 5-ac lot, and can pay lots more than 25k.

Second, I don't think you know how big 5 acres really is. There is no way you can fit a house, driveway, "some land flat for livestock and some wooded to camp and hunt in" on the same 5 acres. Based on those needs I'm assuming you'll also want a decent-sized garden. The geometry just doesn't work, especially once gunfire gets involved. Were you maybe thinking 15 acres and forget to type the "1"?

With those caveats, if looking around Chattanooga I'd suggest starting in the Lookout Valley area. Rising Fawn or Trenton Georgia. Maybe also up on Lookout and Sand Mountains in the same general area. For some reason that area isn't as well developed as other directions. Probably something to do with the traffic back-ups on I-24 that occur surprisingly often between there and Chattanooga.

Old 03-06-2017, 03:20 PM

2 posts, read 2,442 times
Lexington, TN is one to consider. It's just 1/2 hr east of Jackson, TN off I-40 and there are some really nice homes on 10+ acres going for $60- $100 per sq ft.

There are at least 7 lakes available for public recreation, 2 hospitals, and a golf course. The terrain is nicely rolling unlike the flat land found from Jackson to Memphis.

Going east from Lexington you'll be at the TN River in about 15 minutes. Beyond that lies Franklin and Nashville where the real estate prices are very high.

For these reasons, close access to recreational water, medical care, relatively affordable prices, and close proximity to major metro areas (Memphis to Nashville) I think it may be worth consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee