Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 06:28 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,520,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamekeeper View Post
Oh, poor hubby, MB. Maybe all of that cabbage would cure the migraines! It sure cures a lot of other things!

And, Tinman, I bet simple availability had a lot to do with some southern cooking. How about all the fried foods and pork dishes?
You figure after frying..... That old used nasty fry fat-oil is now turned into soap... candles -Hide Tanning and also it kept the old out house door from squeaking........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 09:19 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,409,608 times
On the subject of fried foods, have you ever had a deep fried pickle? We had them at a bowling alley on a recent trip to knoxville. It was amazing lol!

Then when we thought we'd seen everything, this past trip (last May) we got deep fried macaroni & cheese nuggets at Jack in the Box in Nashville. Unbelievable.

Next project: Chicken Fried Bacon.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:13 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,134,645 times
Smile Bbkaren, here is a chicken/bacon/dried beef dish.

Hey, bbkaren. Speaking of Chicken Fried Bacon. . . I have a great recipe for chicken breast slow cooked with bacon and dried beef!!

It's best in a slow cooker, but I do it in a 325° oven most of the time (slow cooker bit the dust!).

Wrap individual skinned and boned chicken breast halves in a strip of bacon. I usually do one per person and two or so for the pot. Place in cooker or Dutch oven side by side.

Mix 1 can Campbell's Cream of Chicken Soup, 1 can Cream of Mushroom, and 1 can Cream of Celery in a medium bowl. Add one can full of water.

Tear up 10 - 15 slices dried beef - about half-dollar size (I use Armour's in the small jar.) Rinse some of the salt off and add it to the soup mixture. Pour into pot on top of chicken and give it 2 hours in the oven or 4 hrs. in a slow cooker.

Serve the sauce over egg noodles or biscuits. (Eat the chicken, too!!) Yummmy. It is good with any veggies, but is very filling.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:18 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,409,608 times
Why on earth would you waste perfectly delicious salt?!

lol

That sounds really good--I wish I could find dried beef around here. Maybe I just don't know what aisle to look in the supermarket. I'm afraid to ask an employee--they'll send me to the beef jerky rack.

Old 03-07-2008, 04:39 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
Why on earth would you waste perfectly delicious salt?!

lol

That sounds really good--I wish I could find dried beef around here. Maybe I just don't know what aisle to look in the supermarket. I'm afraid to ask an employee--they'll send me to the beef jerky rack.
Karen,

I used to make the dish that Gem mentions above when I lived in PA. I found the dried beef in the northern stores just down from the canned ham, tuna and chicken. Your store may have it in a different place but I would bet that it is either near the canned meat or the soups. Currently, at my store, I see it in pouches and in jars. The jars have a blue Armour label on them and the beef slices are kind of folded over in it.

That dish is pretty salty, imho, so I always make sure to get low sodium soups. I am like Gem, I try to rinse the beef and avoid salt especially with my DH's blood pressure problem. Sometimes I would throw in a bag of frozen veggies. Comfort food.

Speaking of fried mac and cheese. TGI Friday's restaurant has this on their menu in the Appetizer section and also Fried Green Beans! Is that only in the South I wonder?

Old 03-07-2008, 06:52 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Ok, let's hear it for green beans with small potatoes, onions and bacon (and bacon grease), salt and pepper for the best darn green beans on the face of the earth! <slurp>
Yeah, but fresh home grown or home canned beans. Case-knife are my favorite kind. I cant wait to put a garden out this year.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:23 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Yeah, but fresh home grown or home canned beans. Case-knife are my favorite kind. I cant wait to put a garden out this year.
Yum! We usually do half runners. If I have to buy canned I like Allen Italian cut.

Gem, I couldn't take it! I ended up defrosting chicken and put in the Chicken-Beef-Bacon dish in the slow cooker this morning! Thanks for reminding me about the dish!

Old 03-07-2008, 08:35 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,856,131 times
All this food talk is making me hungry and its 2 hours till lunch.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:51 AM

451 posts, read 1,371,829 times
ME TOOOOOOOO!!! My mouth is just watering thinking about all this good old Southern cooking.... and i made myself a note to stop and pick up some chicken, and the 'cream of... soups' on the way home tonight... Sure will be good to cook tomorrow for a snowy day! Thanks for the recipe, Gem!

Old 03-07-2008, 08:54 AM

665 posts, read 1,926,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemkeeper View Post
Phyll, we make galupkis and pierogies, too! Rather, I am mostly the maker, the family is the eater! My husband's mother was first generation Czech and Hungarian; the cabbages and pierogies are spelled a little differently than the Poles, but I am sure just as yummy.

The best pierogies, at least to us, are the ones I make with rinsed and drained sauerkraut, sauteed onion, minced mushrooms, a little sour cream to act as a binder, and with or without some shredded cheese (I like them better without.).

I use a wide mouth drinking glass to cut my dough into circles (also made with sour cream, flour), put a dollop of filling in the center, fold in half, pinch edges closed. I put them in boiling water until they rise to the top (about 4 mins.), drain and cool. Then, fry them in butter and oil to serve with sour cream and applesauce on the side for dipping. Delish!!

Hubby's mom always put caraway seed in the galupkis. Do you add caraway to the Polish version, Phyll? I didn't see that in the website Tinman provided. Thanks, Tinman!!

Hubby and I have always been fans of ethnic foods from around the world. One of the finest restaurants we used to frequent was The Blue Nile, an Ethiopian restaurant in Ann Arbor, MI. It was such fun eating out of a large bowl while sitting on the floor. Wonderfully spiced garbanzo bean and eggplant dishes and lots of rice. Wonderful large flat breads to hold your food - no utensils, fingers only!!

But, yes, SMG, nothing can beat good old southern cuisine. All of those meals everyone was planning last night had me slobbering!! I wonder how southern-style cooking originated? Much of it is unique to the South, but must come from some ethnic background.
No, I dont put caraway seeds in mine, I make them the way my mom did, and we use tomato soup 2 cans to 1 water to put over them as they cook.Yes ,I love the saurekraut pierogies and onion too!Actually I spell the galupkis the way you do to and probably as it the same, the only reason I spelled it differnt before I thought I might have spelled it wrong.And thanks for the info on how to make the pierogies, I havent made them yet but I will try now!And we too had the applesauce on the side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee