U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 04:50 PM

665 posts, read 1,840,483 times

Advertisements

I would like to invite my Neighbors over for dinner, the woman cannot eat red sauces, I asked her what she liked , she laughed and said just throw a oiece of chicken at her , My question is... what kind of sides are kind of normal to serve here with chicken. I didnt know if foods were differnt as far as what people put togther with chicken?And does chicken with sweet and sour sauce over it sound weird to folks here? , it tastes good though Thank you , and one other thing I learned in the Tennesee world, a tobagan is a hat, not a sled where I came from!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 04:56 PM

6,289 posts, read 22,106,225 times
With chicken . . . potatoes, green bean, baby carrots, peas . . . really, most kinds of vegetables.

By the way, one of my "adopted" daughter's real father is probably the only man in the history of the state of Tennessee to be killed in a toboggan accident. When she first told me, I almost laughed thinking it was a joke. No, he really was.

Old 03-05-2008, 04:59 PM

16,062 posts, read 30,380,281 times
in addition to what Alleycat said: rice, salad, etc............

Old 03-05-2008, 05:05 PM

665 posts, read 1,840,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
With chicken . . . potatoes, green bean, baby carrots, peas . . . really, most kinds of vegetables.

By the way, one of my "adopted" daughter's real father is probably the only man in the history of the state of Tennessee to be killed in a tobaggon accident. When she first told me, I almost laughed thinking it was a joke. No, he really was.
What kind of potatoes do ya think? and thats terrible that accident happened! I almost broke my ribs as a kid sledding, I hit a small piine tree lol

Old 03-05-2008, 05:07 PM

I like curried chicken myself. Or barbecued chicken. Or grilled chicken. Or fried chicken. Or . . . well, you get the idea.

How 'bout a green salad with chicken tenders. That's popular here in Nashville.

Old 03-05-2008, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phyll View Post
What kind of potatoes do ya think? and thats terrible that accident happened! I almost broke my ribs as a kid sledding, I hit a small piine tree lol
Well, mashed potatoes is traditional with fried chicken. But with other recipes, roasted potato wedges or something like that is good.

Old 03-05-2008, 05:11 PM

24,282 posts, read 26,125,085 times
If you are BBQ your chicken over a gas or wood fire try. "Good Seasons Italian Salad( only)" Dressing. Marinated the chicken in a "glass bowl" must be glass! Then mix up per instructions on the package. Let it stand for a hours, save some on the side too base your chicken while BBQ. Just before taking off the grill poor some of the left over dressing over the chicken, let it smoke for 5-10 min with the lid on...... Makes a new twist on chicken on the barbie...... With fresh garden green beans and corn on the cob dripping with butter!!. Served with a tall ice tea..... Topped off with a big piece home made apple pie...... followed by a nap......

Old 03-05-2008, 05:17 PM

By the way, one thing that I've sometime noticed between cooks from "up yonder" and southern cooks, is that southerners enjoy more than one vegetable with a meal. Some northern cooks will serve a meat, a vegetable, and some nice bread. A southern cook with serve a meat, at least two or three vegetables, and either rolls or biscuits. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, say one "home-cooked" side and then something like green peas or yams out of a can that you've warmed up. It might not be quite as good as home-grown and canned, but it will do and no one will complain (at least not to your face ;-).

Old 03-05-2008, 05:27 PM

24,282 posts, read 26,125,085 times
Please "NO" Collard Greens"..........

Old 03-05-2008, 05:34 PM

22,583 posts, read 51,320,036 times
I LOVE collard greens. HATE turnip greens. Then again, the only food I don't like is turnips.

Phyl, I would think your neighbor would like anything you made. Why don't you just make the things you are good at and let her enjoy it? She just might be looking forward to seeing what a Yankee cooks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>