Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 06:04 AM

661 posts, read 2,895,607 times

Advertisements

For anyone making the move to TN

There are posts from time to time from people who find outsiders are unwelcome and who are having a tough time fitting in. I don't doubt their stories and I'm so sorry they're unhappy with the area. It's a miserable thing to feel you've moved to a place that's not right for you.

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've had totally different experiences with people in TN. We've lived in eight states - lots of moving due to my husband being in the Navy when we were young. I have never lived in a place with people as nice as the ones I come in contact with here. Other places my New England accent was noted or commented on. I forget that it's obvious to people here that I'm from somewhere else (and the North, no less). No one bats an eye.

I'm not particularly extroverted, but I find myself in long, chatty conversations with people all time time. It's not unusual to go into a store and end up staying there an hour talking with some one. It's happened in convenience stores, gift shops - just about anywhere. If you don't absolutely have to be somewhere, take the time.

Need help? Someone always turns up. My husband's truck broke down in the middle of the road. Immediately, people were pulling over to help him. I stopped in a convenience store to make sure I was heading the right way for an area downtown that I wanted to visit. I didn't just get directions - a lady my age had me follow her to that area, which was out of her way. Our exterminator came out the other day. I asked him how his deer hunting trip was. He stopped back later in the day to give me some venison stew he'd made and some cornbread.

When we first moved in last spring, I put a couple of ads in the paper for stuff we were giving away or selling. Every person who came out was a native. Every one of them sat and talked for about an hour, telling me about the area.

I could go on and on (worse than I have!) My advice to newcomers is slow down. Some of us are so used to rushing through errands and are accustomed to indifference from other people. That's not what the people here are about. They're kind and very friendly and open.

Again, I'm sure not discounting other peoples' experiences. Been there. I hope it gets better for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2006, 07:43 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarkey View Post
For anyone making the move to TN

There are posts from time to time from people who find outsiders are unwelcome and who are having a tough time fitting in.
Abolutely 100% incorrect. What I see are posts from people thinking about moving to TN who worry about having a tough time fitting in, the common "I am a yankee moving to the south will I fit in" post. This is nonsense of course but then you get the obligatory antidotes since you will always have one person with a story or a "friend of a friend heard this or that". Your actual description is more accurate. Actually what is more accurate is, with the big melting pot and mobile society that the U.S. is nowadays, one place is just the same as the other.

Old 12-04-2006, 10:09 AM

12 posts, read 45,228 times
Quote:
I'm not particularly extroverted, but I find myself in long, chatty conversations with people all time time. It's not unusual to go into a store and end up staying there an hour talking with some one. It's happened in convenience stores, gift shops - just about anywhere. If you don't absolutely have to be somewhere, take the time.
This is exactly what my daughter and son-in-law have encountered in their first few weeks in Tennessee. At first they were taken aback by "strangers" striking up a conversation with them... but then realized these were genuine, friendly people. Because of their experience in Florida (crime), they were hesitant to talk to people they don't know...

My daughter was shocked in a restaurant when someone apologized profusely for just bumping into her at the salad bar!

Old 12-04-2006, 10:15 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,629,002 times
Default Couldn't agree more

We have had the same experience. People here have been incredibly welcoming. I think that kind of happiness is contagious. Glad to see a positive thread like this. It is a more accurate reflection of what our daily life is like in TN.

Old 12-04-2006, 02:17 PM

359 posts, read 1,635,538 times
Thank you, jmarkey. What a refreshing and truthful post!

Old 12-04-2006, 05:29 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Default It's me...

I'm the complainer.

First of all, I'm not rushing. I talk to EVERYBODY. I am extremely extroverted. Maybe that's the difference. Maybe I just scare folks!

But I HAVE said over and over are that people are polite. We found prejudice when we were looking for jobs. That was when we found the good old boy or good old girl network was alive.

My husband finally got a job because he is an escellent auto mechanic. Me? I'm working for a bunch of transplants.

Also, there are plenty of locals on this forum that have backed up exactly what I have said.

BUT, where are you living jmarkey? Maybe that's the difference. I've had many people tell me that it is just the area of Tenn that I live in.

Old 12-04-2006, 05:43 PM

661 posts, read 2,895,607 times
First of all, it's not just you. Over the last few months, there have been others with the same problem.

Second, I don't doubt you're running into this problem. I have, in other places we've lived. I'm sorry you've had the experiences you mention. I know exactly what you're talking about. In one state things did improve. In another, I just stuck it out until we could go elsewhere. About four years later. Ugh.

I live in Clinton, but have had these experiences in this area, Knoxville, Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. I don't think it's peculiar to one area. I think it's Tennessee people in general.

How did the first day on the job go? I'm rootin' for ya.

Old 12-04-2006, 06:09 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Default JMarkey!

I'm in the next town over from you!

First day went GREAT!

I think I'm going to love it there.

I just wish that the people that come here from Florida don't make it hard from us. I have NO intention in changing this place. I like it here just fine. I thoroughly researched the area and this is exactly the place I wanted to move to.

I KNEW there were smoking in most restaurants, trailers across the street from large homes, lots of churches and people that actually go to them.

I cringe when I hear people wanting to change the place.

Old 12-04-2006, 06:38 PM

34 posts, read 129,433 times
General attitude of southern people is absolutely nicer. No question about that. The real problems are poverty, underdevelopment, retardation, less-educated, less-open minded, less-diverse, and more religious culture.

Last edited by osmotic; 12-04-2006 at 07:03 PM..

Old 12-05-2006, 04:21 AM

359 posts, read 1,635,538 times
I agree with osmotic on one thing: in east TN, it is definitely less diverse. That is a negative.

I believe all the other real problems mentioned are everywhere else, too ... it's not a TN thing. A person could say the same thing about the other two main places I've lived: Texas and Wisconsin ... the good old boy system for jobs, less open-minded, warriness toward new people, etc.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned anywhere is that people here seem happier, laugh more readily, smile more in the South ... once you get past the initial barriers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee