Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 08:12 AM

35,939 posts, read 30,488,406 times

Advertisements

Taking my grandsons swimming, camping. Sitting around the fire at night roasting hotdogs and making smores. Riding the pis s and vinegar out of the horses who have had all winter to get lazy and sassy. The smell of honeysuckle, the sound of crickets and kadydids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 08:54 AM

37,743 posts, read 40,800,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Aw, Laura, you should befriend the crickets. Or catch them and put them outside. They're really very friendly and not icky, unlike most bugs. But one DID bite me once (I SWEAR!!!) so be careful!!!
Catch them? Surely, you jest. They're smarter than squirrels, you know. They annoy the heck out of you with their incessant chirping (usually while you are sleeping or watching TV and it only takes one). BUT, as soon as you get close to them, they shut up. Then when you are looking the wrong way, they take off at 100MPH. Chirp! Chirp! Chirp! means you can't catch me, crazy lady, so give up!

Crickets, a reason why I don't have a gun. Shooting up my furniture every August while I chase one of the speedy noisy varmints would be undesirable.

But seriously, for all of the humidity here, they aren't as bad (coming in the home) as when I lived on Long Island. Perhaps it's because my home was on a cement slab when I lived there. And they can chirp away all they want outside. That doesn't bother me at all. It's that one soloist that gets in your bedroom or your living room...

I saw one once that was as big as my fist. He was slower than the little guys but I think I had to hit him with half a can of bug spray before I could put him down. How he got under the bathroom sink, I'll never know. If I should die suddenly in August, ask the medical examiner to listen for evidence of a cricket intruder and check me out for bug spray inhalation death. If I have bruises, I probably tripped over something in hot pursuit.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:58 AM

119 posts, read 833,109 times
Default moving back

Living in Mount Juliet and seeing the lightening bugs again, rain storms and all the beautiful green trees. Taking a dip in the pool and cooking burgers on the grill. Going for a hike.

I'm also looking forward to going to Cabo in August, my daughter's graduation present.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:47 AM

451 posts, read 1,366,872 times
Crickets are good luck!!! I won't let my boys kill them in the house.... we put them outside

Old 03-11-2008, 10:09 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,428,643 times
Standing in an ice cold stream whispering " here trout. here trout!"

Old 03-11-2008, 10:26 AM

35,939 posts, read 30,488,406 times
Lt. Dan,
Does that technique work pretty good for you?

Old 03-11-2008, 10:34 AM

49 posts, read 247,166 times
I'm looking forward to being able to go outside in the summer. In Florida, you have to sprint to your car or door, the heat and humidity is oppressive! I would love to have a clothes line and dry my sheets, plant a garden, etc. All the stuff you CAN'T do in Florida 8 months out of the year, lol.

How are the mosquitos in Tenn. and how many months do ya'll keep your A/C on?

L~V

Old 03-11-2008, 11:22 AM

117 posts, read 446,131 times
We're looking forward to coming up this summer and starting to clear our land. Hopefully while we're here we can get set up for the septic tank and power pole.

Need to find where the water main stops; even though we're in Benton County, our water comes from Decatur County.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:23 AM

117 posts, read 446,131 times
Oh yeah; almost forgot fishin' in Kentucky Lake and the Friday night AYCE catfish at Paris Landing.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:56 AM

24,768 posts, read 28,370,869 times
Smile Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Taking my grandsons swimming, camping. Sitting around the fire at night roasting hot dogs and making smores. Riding the pis s and vinegar out of the horses who have had all winter to get lazy and sassy. The smell of honeysuckle, the sound of crickets and kadydids.
Here's something depending on the ages...The Snipe Hunt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee