U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 02:04 PM

31 posts, read 97,511 times

Advertisements

We're in S. Florida, and need a change of pace!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2006, 02:09 PM

7,279 posts, read 20,287,481 times
I LOVE Johnson City/Kingsport TN. I lived in South east FL for 11 years, moved here 10 years ago, could not imagine living anywhere else!

Old 12-05-2006, 02:11 PM

31 posts, read 97,511 times
Do you find that local residents are accepting of newcomers?

Old 12-05-2006, 02:16 PM

7,279 posts, read 20,287,481 times
Yup! Of course there are some that don't like others moving here but that is to be expected of any place. I tried two other towns in TN before moving here that were NOT accepting of "new comers" but not much, if any of an issue here.

Old 12-05-2006, 09:26 PM

13,025 posts, read 37,085,935 times
I'm originally from Tampa but have also lived in Miami, Ft Pierce, Citrus County, and Gainesville. I now live in Knoxville and LOVE it. I've found people to be very open of "outsiders."

Another Tennessee town that I absolutely adore is Cookeville. I guess because it's a university town the people there tend to be more open than you'd find in other small towns. I think Johnson City is similar, although I would still prefer Cookeville only because it's just an hour from the Nashville airport which has much cheaper air fares and many more flights than the airport in Johnson City/Kingsport.

There are plenty of places I would avoid in Tennessee if you want to live somewhere more "welcoming" of outsiders, but I think you'd do well to explore Knoxville, Cookeville, and Johnson City.

Old 12-06-2006, 08:42 PM

10 posts, read 51,697 times
I have been doing research and talking to people for about a month now trying to find a great place in TN to relocate to from FL as well. (Orlando)

i just got back from a trip to check out Nashville. That is the only place i can speak of from personal experience, but from talking to people, i can tell you that i have determined that anyone coming from FL will be extremely pleased with any city in middle or eastern TN. =)

FL has just gotten INSANE lately and us natives are ready to get back to our southern roots and i think TN is the PERFECT choice, and as for the city/town, i think you just have to visit and see if it feels right for you and your family.

I fell in love wiht nashville, so i will not need to look any further. best of luck!

Old 01-12-2007, 12:54 PM

11 posts, read 31,984 times
After 4 years in Gainesville and a short stop in Virginia, my husband and I are returning to my hometown of Columbia, TN after many years away. We are really looking forward to it! Columbia is a wonderful mix of charming southern homes and culture, booming industry, and a low cost of living (low compared to Nashville but ultra low compared to FL!).

If you are from FL you are used to doing a lot of driving, which means that anything you could ever want would be within 45 mins of you - an international airport, wonderful golf courses, farms and horse communities, upscale restaurants and shopping, and great cultural events in Nashville. All of this on the weekends, while during the week, you can call your FL friends stuck in traffic after you're already home eating dinner!

Columbia has had thousands of newcomers in the past 15 years since GM opened in Maury County, and there are numerous opportunities to become involved in local activities - government, education, history, recreation, etc.

Good luck!

Old 01-12-2007, 01:29 PM

130 posts, read 541,053 times
After 16 years in Tampa I MUCH prefer living in Johnson City. I think it would be hard to beat working in town and living in Gray, Unicoi or Chuckey.

Old 01-12-2007, 01:29 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,634,139 times
Default Dayton, WaterFront

Using the beautiful library , we took rural road to explore. Stopped for directions and after 5 minute talk, guy offered to sell next door waterfront lot to Right of pic. Quite cove off main river, near bird preserve, 1 1/2 acre wooded small community.
Dayton had nice holiday horse carriage parade. New stores coming to this small CITY. Rt #27 S.E. Tn. Other Fla people already here, per agent.[IMG][/IMG]

Old 01-12-2007, 03:34 PM

6 posts, read 18,842 times
Default Moving to Tn...look at Murfreesboro

I would like to recommend Murfreesboro Tn. It is a wonderful booming "City" about 30 mins from Nashville. It still has the hometown look...with much to offer. Weather is great...many activities all year. You are near many parks and lakes if you love the outdoors. The shopping is great and so are the resturants. Look at Murfreesboro I think you will find it intresting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee