Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 03:53 PM

13,353 posts, read 39,959,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I disagree. My daughter went to Kindergarten in Florida for two months. Guess what? She was EXACTLY two months behind when she got to Knoxville. She went to summer school for one month and is now up to speed.

I DO agree that socially, of course, Tennessee is also superior!
Amen! I have taught in public schools in Florida and in Tennessee. I grew up in Florida and in Tennessee attending public schools. Tennessee schools are NOT 3 years behind Florida schools. Granted, some school districts in Tennessee are better than others, but over all it's just insulting for anyone to think that Florida schools are 3 years ahead. Then again, since I don't really know what that means, maybe I'm wrong.

But I will say this: when my brother's family moved from Florida to Cookeville, his kids were actually behind and had to hire some private tutors to get caught up.

Old 01-12-2007, 03:56 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,319,846 times
I also disagree. I finished out high school in Fl (granted this was YEARS ago hahahah) and I learned NOTHING new in Fl schools. They had books on the Senior required reading list that I had required to read as a freshman in CT.
My son went one year of kindergarten (well, almost a full year I pulled him out, I was so disgusted with the system at the time and thankful we were moving) in Fl and it was a joke. He was behind when we got to TN and had to do catching up.
I think the curriculum may be fuller in FL however they don't have time to care if the children actually learn the material. In TN the testing is stricter and they insure the children actually learn, not just show up. THAT I think is the biggest difference in the 2 state school curriculum's. But, that is my opinion.

Old 01-12-2007, 04:09 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Oh, let's not forget "teaching to the test."

Florida schools revolve around the FCAT. I actually feel sick to my stomach when I think about it. Imagine never teaching the thrill of learning!

Tennessee does not teach to the test. My daughter, now in first grade, has an extreme interest in science thanks to her elementary school. She loves math (doesn't get that from me!) and adds numbers in her head because she think it's fun. Sometimes she sits down and just makes up math problems and does them.

Thank God we got out of Florida before they killed her natural curiosity.

Old 01-12-2007, 05:28 PM

3,963 posts, read 10,631,862 times
TN teachers DON'T teach to the test? In Williamson County they do, unfortunately. These wonderful teachers do manage to fit in more material and give the kids some room, but the test is always looming......

This No Child Left Behind nonsense has made it so our funding and standing depend on increases in scores and maintaining certain levels without regard to the human variances that make life so interesting.

If there's truly no TCAP stress, value-added garbage and all that other baloney there, then we're moving to Knoxville! LOL!

P.S. Hiknapster, how's your job going? Well, I hope! Enjoy your weekend

Old 01-12-2007, 05:32 PM

130 posts, read 566,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-Torak View Post

If any you are a hunter / shooter / collector the state is Firearm Friendly and offers a Concealed Carry Permit.
But getting the permit is difficult, as they preform a VERY THOROUGH background check
Difficult? Very thorough background check? Um....no. You take the class, mail in your application with a passport photo and in 89 days you get your permit. Standard protocol for getting a CCW permit just like any other state and the background check is no more thorough than any other state. Overall the CCW permit is no easier or harder to get than any other state that has "shall issue" laws and Florda's procedure is just like many other states that issue.

If you are a hunter Florida is not the right state for you. Unless you like bow-hunting in 90 degree weather and trudging through mosquito filled swamps in an attempt to find game, Florida isn't it.

I hunted in that hell-hole state for 15 years and held a CCW permit for 12 of them so I have some experience in this regard.

To answer the question of whether Tennessee or Florida is a better place to live you just need to decide between Nashville, Chattanooga or the Tri-City region.

Old 01-12-2007, 06:01 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
AKM4:

Bear in mind that my daughter has only made half-way through first grade, but still no pressure. The school she attends is very laid back.

Thank you for asking about me. The job is fantastic! Best job I ever had!

Can't you tell? I am soooo much happier. My husband's new job is great, too.

I appreciate you!

Old 01-12-2007, 07:07 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,319,846 times
There is some pressure the few weeks before the TCAPS. They do a lot of reviewing and such but it isn't all year long. My boys never got real stressed about it and in this school they make it a big deal about if you attend, have your pencils ready and try your best, they have a party after TCAPs are done. They make it fun for the kids. Makes a big difference.

Old 01-13-2007, 05:15 PM

255 posts, read 757,281 times
Default Definately Tennessee!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gent3278 View Post
My family and I currently reside in Anderson, Indiana and are planning on moving to Cookeville in February. My cousin lives in Lakeland, Florida and is trying to convince us to move to that area claiming there are better job opportunities in that part of the country. My wife is leaning toward Cookeville due to the fact that my family has an empty house with 13 acres that we can move into right away. I also am concerned about school systems in both areas since we have 2 young children. My wife and I are in our early 40's with management experience in the restaurant and retail industry and are looking to pursue a new career right away. What area (Florida or Tennessee) would be the best place to start a new career and raise a family.
We currently live in Florida about 45 minutes East of Lakeland and are relocating to Tennessee. We have been here for 11 years and can't wait to get out. The schools are not good, unbelievable overcrowding in nearly every school. Crime is out of control as well as housing costs. Our insurance for homes (if you can get it due to house age) is very expensive and the taxes aren't getting any cheaper either. People here are not nearly as nice as the people we have met in Tennessee...and those are the highlights of central florida.haha I would go to Tennessee for sure, we have 3 young kids and we are highly disappointed in florida.

Good luck with the move wherever you go.

Old 01-14-2007, 10:22 AM

6 posts, read 24,053 times
I live in fla. and would not tell or ask anyone to move here the schools here are not the the best.and you just about have to know how to speak spainish or creole.i myself am looking to move from here.

Old 01-14-2007, 10:35 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
Florda is not what in once was. I would not want my child in school down there. Crime in general is on the uprise; even in a Boca Raton high school there was a rape incident with several students involved. This was a few years ago- visit the Florida and Miami forums if you have any doubt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee