U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 06:12 AM

36,896 posts, read 38,334,766 times

Advertisements

This Tennessee budget story is in a Houston, Texas newspaper. I confess that I don't keep up much with kid-related budget items because I don't have any kids. But, I saw Mrs Clinton pushing for it, too, nationally in her Christmas ad. What's the story on public school pre-K in Tennessee? Why do people (not the politicians) in Tennessee want it or not want it? One of the other politicians in the article says he'd rather see the money go to the existing K-12 school program? What existing K-12 program? Is that the reason for the opposition to it by non-politicians? Here's the article:

Tennessee Revenue Picture Bleak | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle (broken link)

Is the old Head Start the current pre-K (same program, different name)? Who are they trying to expand it, to? Every kid?

I want them to use the money to build more prisons.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 06:34 AM

31,816 posts, read 27,118,364 times
Its been a long time since my kids were in school, so I dont know much about it either. So anyone correct me if I wrong. HeadStart and the preK programs are not the same. Pre K and the K-12 programs are funded thru the public school systems, HeadStart is totally different funding. Parents want the preK program because its free or cheaper than private day care. Its my understanding the k-12 programs are before/after school programs which is essentially babysitting for working parents. Private childcare is very expensive and hard to find so these program are helpful to working parents.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:40 AM

117 posts, read 432,782 times
It's part of the No Child Left Behind federal program. And yes, although it's cleverly disguised as an education program, mostly it's free daycare. Of course, that's an oversimplification and I would be happy to explain it in detail if you like.
I drive a school bus here, wife is a teacher for 30 years, and the teachers I've spoken to are not in favor of it.
And BTW, it's only free if you pay NO taxes..........where do you think the money comes from?

Old 03-18-2008, 08:17 AM

31,816 posts, read 27,118,364 times
Well, its "free" for some of the parents on the program. Why are the teachers not in favor of the programs?

Old 03-18-2008, 10:39 AM

117 posts, read 432,782 times
My "free" comment refers to the fsct that nothing is really free. Somebody pays, out of tax money. Therefore, anything the government gives away is really only free to you if you pay 0 taxes.
They're not in favor because like most gov't programs there's a lot of abuse, and many times turns parts of public schools into glorified daycare centers.
There seems to be concerted effort here lately to label as many kids as possible with all kinds of learning disabilities to qualify for assistance and special programs. We have to transport kids as young as 3 to school.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:20 AM

36,896 posts, read 38,334,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrm777 View Post
My "free" comment refers to the fsct that nothing is really free. Somebody pays, out of tax money. Therefore, anything the government gives away is really only free to you if you pay 0 taxes.
They're not in favor because like most gov't programs there's a lot of abuse, and many times turns parts of public schools into glorified daycare centers.
There seems to be concerted effort here lately to label as many kids as possible with all kinds of learning disabilities to qualify for assistance and special programs. We have to transport kids as young as 3 to school.
Soooooo, they want me to pay for their kids' daycare, nationally and statewide.

This isn't related to this subject directly but isn't the governor out soon? I seem to recall when I first moved here my Congressman expressing interest in the job, leading me to believe the governor's job would be vacant soon. I'm thinking Tennessee has term limits so the current governor can't run again. Would that be correct? I haven't been here a full year yet.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:26 AM

6,289 posts, read 22,221,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Soooooo, they want me to pay for their kids' daycare, nationally and statewide.

This isn't related to this subject directly but isn't the governor out soon? I seem to recall when I first moved here my Congressman expressing interest in the job, leading me to believe the governor's job would be vacant soon. I'm thinking Tennessee has term limits so the current governor can't run again. Would that be correct? I haven't been here a full year yet.
The next election for governor will be in 2010. Bredesen will not be able to run at that time because of term limits.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:38 AM

1,387 posts, read 3,245,735 times
In Florida, they have Voluntary Pre-K that is funded by the state for children who turn 4 on or before September 1 (of current school year). It is not the same as Head Start. It is open to all families regardless of income. Only the VPK portion of the day is approximately 3 hrs. a day is free. At which time, the parent can pick up the child or pay for extended care. Most VPK providers are private daycare schools that have met certain requirements (from the state) to be certified and eligible for VPK dollars. Parents usually get a better financial deal in the private school setting. In the public school system (at least in Pinellas County), parents who choose to pay for extended services ($65) is limited to the regular hours of the school day (2:40 p.m.) and then if the family needs longer hours, they must pay for services from a third party. Also, VPK children are not entitled to transportation to or from school.

I am in favor of VPK. For many kids (even the wealthy) this is the first school setting the attend. Many of the teachers are skilled at recognizing a child's need to be formally assessed. Early intervention is key. This way when they move on to Kindergarten, they will have everything they need in place (ie., speech therapy). JMHO

Old 03-18-2008, 11:52 AM

4,725 posts, read 9,716,767 times
Default Big difference in Head Start and Pre-K

PreK classes and Head Start are completely different programs. Head Start is for disadvantaged students not old enough for school yet. Pre-K is for children legally required to attend school because they are old enough and has nothing to do with economic need.

Head Start targets pre-school age under-privileged children who will be at an disadvantage when they do reach kindergarten because of family dynamics. These are children who most likely do not have books at home, most are from one parent families, many of the parents are not high school graduates, and they are economically disadvantaged.

Head Start hopes to catch as many disadvantaged children as possible early in their development before school age, so that they will be ready for kindergarten when they turn 5 yrs. old. These are the children who would otherwise be lost in school from day 1.

Pre-K is for children old enough to be in school, actually, required to be in school, but who do not have the readiness to be in a regular kindergarten classroom. If they went right in to K classes they would not be able to keep up because of many factors. They may not have developed eye-hand coordination, do not possess small motor skills, do not know letters, numbers, shapes, etc. and do not have readiness skills to learn them easily.

These children are the ones who typically have to repeat kindergarten the next year. So, why not just let them repeat. Lots of reasons:

They are experiencing major failure and frustration the first time through K classes. This sets them up for failure in other grades, as well as the repeat of kindergarten.

It deprives the rest of the class of moving on quickly because the teacher and lesson plans are always trying to accommodate a child or children who are not keeping up with the class.

This frequently begins a pattern of behavior problems with many under-achievers. They don't understand what is going on in the classroom and they want to do something with their time, so they start acting out, distracting the class, getting negative attention from their teachers. Now, we are setting up a huge problem for teacher, child who isn't ready mentally, emotionally, or physically for kindergarten, and for the rest of the class who is being deprived of valuable class time while this child or children are being dealt with in some manner.

This is a lose-lose proposition for everybody. The child who isn't ready for school yet, but must attend because of his age, the child who is ready and eager to learn who is being held back by those who aren't, and a frustrated teacher who is teaching to different levels and trying to keep control of a bad situation.

These are the types of situations that drive good teachers out of the classroom and into business professions.

Pre-K is a necessary tool to save everyone involved and shouldn't cost any more than trying to salvage all of the backlash that occurs by forcing children who are not ready for school yet to attend school. This unreadiness will follow them all the way through public school and these kids are the ones least likely to graduate.

Children who go into Pre-K are not determined by economic need. These are kids who should be in school anyhow, but just do not have the physical, emotional, and developmental tools to accomplish kindergarten requirements.

Head Start targets children not of school age and who will likely not have someone reading to them, buying them crayons or scissors to develop their little minds and eye/hand skills, or teaching them numbers and what the cow says. When Head Start children reach school age, hopefully they will enter kindergarten and be successful students because someone helped them to mature to the level necessary for school.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:34 PM

222 posts, read 608,600 times
[quote=gemkeeper;3177409]PreK classes and Head Start are completely different programs. Head Start is for disadvantaged students not old enough for school yet. Pre-K is for children legally required to attend school because they are old enough and has nothing to do with economic need.quote]

I'm not sure about the rest of your information, but this part about pre-k being for children required to attend school is not correct. Children in Tennessee are not required to attend school prior to kindergarten.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
View detailed profiles of: