Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 03:26 PM

54 posts, read 372,322 times

Advertisements

This post is definitely giving me some ideas, if not for a move, then at least for a vacation trip or two!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2007, 08:01 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Default The Factoids Keep Coming

About 40,000 cranes a year migrate through the Hiwassee Wildlife Refuge (near Dayton). Best time to see the cranes is late November through March. The refuge is free and there is a viewing area so you don't spook the cranes.

Jackson is where all Pringle potato chips are made.

Want opportunities for panoramic views of the mountains? The 17 mile Foothills Parkway (can be entered from US 321 near Walland) has scenic pulloff opportunities.

Another scenic highway is the 51 mile Cherohala Skyway. Runs along a ridge then goes into the valleys. Goes up as high as 5,000 feet. Starts in Tennessee, ends in North Carolina. Enter in Tellico Plains off Highway 165.

The Pinson Mounds (in Pinson) State Archaeological Park is the site of a free two-day festival on Native American culture. Archeofest includes Native American dancing, crafts, flint knapping (?), storytelling, wildlife programs, haywagon tours and food.(September)

President William Howard Taft got stuck in the bathtub while staying at the Belle Meade Plantation (Nashville).

The Ebbibg and Flowing Spring outside of Rogersville is only one of two known springs in the world that flows and stops at regular intervals.

Where can you still find drive in movies in Tennessee? Athens, Bristol, Carthage, Centerville, Cookeville, Dickson, Dunlap, Elizabethton, Etowah, Gallatin, Harriman, Helenwood, Lafayette, Lewisburg, Maryville, Memphis, Newport, Sparta, Watertown, Waverly. If you want to know specifically where they are and see some photos go to www.driveinmovie.com/TN.htm.

The last place left in the Eastern US where you can adopt wild horses and burros is in Cross Plains, Tennessee. Due to overpopulation on public range lands in 10 western states, centers like Southeastern Wild Horse and Burro Adoption Holding Center were set up. It's funded by the federal government (Federal Bureau of Land Management). (verify when it's open before you go)

The mule raising capital of the state is Columbia. They hold a Mule Day Festival in April which, in addition to the usual festival fare, includes a Liar's Contest.

Old 01-03-2007, 11:18 AM

2 posts, read 7,805 times
Biblical does not necessarily mean that it is in the bible. That is a reference to how long ago the fault line has been determined to be found. As in, biblical times. To shorten for easier understanding....it is really old.

Old 01-06-2007, 11:54 AM

338 posts, read 1,445,102 times
There were more National Guard soldiers deployed ~~~from the state of TN ~~~for the Gulf War effort~~~ than any other state!!!

Keep adding FACTS... I love checking in and reading them...I'll look for some more and get back to you...

Memphis: Elvis Presley dies at Graceland on August 16. 1977

Nashville: After drinking a cup of locally produced coffee in Nashville, Theodore Roosevelt coined the phrase “good to the last drop!”

Knoxville: Home to the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame.

Chattanooga: Chattanooga has the world's longest pedestrian bridge — The Walnut Street Bridge.

Old 01-12-2007, 06:50 PM

94 posts, read 387,459 times
Thumbs up Tennessee Factoids

Here's a factoid that I'm very proud of.

A local native of Pikeville--Mrs Sara Robnett Poulson was picked to represent the USMC on a postage stamp that was commissioned by the USPS to honor the women serving in our military.

I don't remember the exact year this was done, but some of you stamp collectors may have the stamp.

Ms Sara is the mother of one of my best friends, she was a teacher here for many years, and was active in 4-H and several other community events.

She is quite Ill now, but we are blessed that she is still with us.

Kerry

Old 01-13-2007, 07:35 AM

338 posts, read 1,445,102 times
The only monument in the United States honoring both the Union and Confederate armies is located in Greenville at the Green County Courthouse.

Tennessee has more than 3,800 documented caves.

The name "Tennessee" originated from the old Yuchi Indian word, "Tana-see," meaning "The Meeting Place."

Old 02-13-2007, 07:06 PM

1 posts, read 3,588 times
Talking Another overlooked Festival

McEwen Tennessee has a great Bar-b-Q festival the Last Weekend in July. Over 20,000 lbs of pork bar-b-q is cooked . It runs from Friday evening to Saturday evening. The Festival raises money for the Private School in McEwen.... Best food in the state

Old 02-14-2007, 08:45 PM

60 posts, read 344,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I didn't forget it. I was just seeing if you were paying attention.

But seriously, I'm sure there are a lot more. Some towns have a better PR campaign and I'm thinkin' some towns have a Secret Barbecue Cookin' Bluegrass Pickin' Buck Dancin' Catfish Racin' Venomous Spider Tossin' Snake Handlin' Pistol Shootin' Fruit Hurlin' Festival that they don't want outsiders at. That's the one I want to go to because those people know how to have a good time.

Then there are the ones I just missed.
The best idea for a festival I ever attended was the Bourbon and Bluegrass Festival in Frankfort, KY. It was a great idea, but it was sparsely attended - very little marketing and I get the sense that bluegrass music is more popular in Tennessee than in the Bluegrass State.

Old 02-14-2007, 08:49 PM

60 posts, read 344,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heathersmom View Post
The only monument in the United States honoring both the Union and Confederate armies is located in Greenville at the Green County Courthouse.

Tennessee has more than 3,800 documented caves.

The name "Tennessee" originated from the old Yuchi Indian word, "Tana-see," meaning "The Meeting Place."
Actually, the memorial in front of the Blount County Courthouse lists names of the dead from the Union and Confederate side. I bet that's quite common in East TN. In Maryville there were about 25 Unionists dead and about 6 Confederates. That pretty accurately represents the sentiment in Blount during the Civil War. As a county off the Virginia and East Tennessee Railroad, Blount County had little connection to the larger Southern staple markets (for tobacco and cotton). Like other relatively isolated East Tennessee counties, Blount solidly supported the Union. Of course, half the people waving Confederate flags around now probably have no idea that their own ancestors are turning in their graves!

Old 05-17-2007, 07:04 PM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
795 posts, read 2,803,633 times
Just wanting to bump this great thread up again. There's too much great info here to get lost.

blessings, Shen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee