Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 06:26 PM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times

Advertisements

Here's how many homes were built in Tennessee's metropolitan areas in 2017, according to data provided to the US Census Bureau. With 38,470 new homes built in Tennessee in 2017, just over half were in the Nashville metropolitan area.

Chattanooga...2,365
Clarksville...1,813
Cleveland...403
Jackson...287
Johnson City..298
Kingsport-Bristol...18
Knoxville...3,886
Memphis...3,903
Nashville...19,292

https://www.census.gov/construction/bps/

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Last edited by JMT; 01-25-2018 at 08:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2018, 07:41 PM

10,063 posts, read 14,434,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Here's how many homes were built in Tennessee's metropolitan areas in 2017, according to figures compiled by the US Census Bureau. With 38,470 new homes built in Tennessee in 2017, just over half were in the Nashville metropolitan area.

Chattanooga...2,365
Clarksville...1,813
Cleveland...403
Jackson...287
Johnson City..298
Kingsport-Bristol...18
Knoxville...3,886
Memphis...3,903
Nashville...19,292

https://www.census.gov/construction/bps/
Whoa, only 18 in Kingsport-Bristol? That's alarming--pretty slugglish new construction there. Also, quite a huge gap between Nashville and Memphis, to the tune of 15,000 or so. Suppose that is the striking difference in a booming economy and one moving at a very light-to-slow pace.

Knoxville having practically the same activity as Memphis is not a good thing for Memphis. Memphis is pretty sluggish for its size as well.

In looking at the state of Tennessee though, as it compares to other states, it had more new home construction starts as a state than the entire region of New England.

And if you rank the top 10 states, this is how Tennessee measures up:

1. Texas 169,885
2. Florida 118,548
3. California 113,320
4. North Carolina 65,009
5. Georgia 49,591
6. Washington 45,780
7. Colorado 41,911
8. New York 40,772
9. Tennessee 38,470
10. Arizona 37,981

Pretty impressive growth there for TN, for sure.

Last edited by jjbradleynyc; 01-25-2018 at 08:04 PM..

Old 01-27-2018, 02:15 PM

1,285 posts, read 2,356,764 times
Great thread. Thanks for starting it.

Old 01-27-2018, 09:53 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,284,584 times
That 18 is extremely sad. While I'd be the last to claim K-B as a hot area, I know some new developments going up that seemed to constitute more than eighteen entries. Maybe it's just the time period.

Old 01-28-2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
That 18 is extremely sad. While I'd be the last to claim K-B as a hot area, I know some new developments going up that seemed to constitute more than eighteen entries. Maybe it's just the time period.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Driving around Kingsport I see more going up in the past month, than I've seen in several months here.

Hopefully it will continue to trend upward this year.

Old 01-28-2018, 01:17 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,508,225 times
Keep in mind that Chattanooga's numbers do not include any from the metro counties in both GA and AL. I'd guess that would add up to close to 1000. Also, Bradley County is not included in the metro. So that figure would reflect mostly Hamilton County. Houses popping up all over the place.

Wonder if the Tri Cities is also affected from their data not including starts in Virginia.

If this trend continues, it looks like the state's population could hit 7 million in late 2020 or early 21, probably after the census is taken though. TN has already passed up Indiana, but probably won't pass Massachusetts until around 2022-23. MA has about 140K more residents than TN right now; but TN growing at about 30K faster per year. If continues, it will take less than 5 years for TN to overtake MA, which has had a bit of a growth spurt over the past few years, but it will be interesting to see if that continues as the "blue flu" (effects of the Tax Reform of '17) causes some (many) to move to lower tax states.

I keep waiting for Knoxville to start taking off. It's moving along at a healthy clip, but I think it still needs to be discovered by people outside the usual (southern and midwestern) regions to start to see the draw of a midsize city with the state's flagship university and proximity to the mountains. Even to people in the region, Nashville is getting too big and Knoxville could fill the role it used to have as a nice place to move (to get away from too big a city). Lots of Californians, even folks in the Northwest, are finding out about the charms of the Southeast and Tennessee in particular. TN is a happy balance to the steroidal growth of certain other Southeastern states on one hand, and definitely better than other adjacent/nearby states in the doldrums. Healthy growth. But of course, as tends to happen, healthy growth can turn into steroidal growth eventually.

As a state with lots of different size cities, TN doesn't have one "beast" metro area that sucks the life out of other smaller cities in the state. On that note, Memphis needs to get its act together to take advantage of the state's present sweet spot. That city is not bad, but it is just so poorly managed with lots of corrupt officials. I have stories about their city council and mayors office that would make your head spin. They are known for under the table dealing and the old "boss hogg" tactics of disapproving a proposed project if they can't profit from it personally. But the voters in Memphis keep sending them back. I realize this is not the same as local government but still in the same vein, but their congressional rep is the utterly despicable Steven Cohen. Even members of his own party hate him.

Last edited by shinestx; 01-28-2018 at 01:42 PM..

Old 01-28-2018, 01:53 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,284,584 times
For the TRI, Bristol, VA is the largest government entity as a part of the metro. It is having significant financial problems. I cannot imagine many new housing starts now in Bristol or unincorporated Washington County, VA.

Old 01-28-2018, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinestx View Post

If this trend continues, it looks like the state's population could hit 7 million in late 2020 or early 21, probably after the census is taken though. TN has already passed up Indiana, but probably won't pass Massachusetts until around 2022-23. MA has about 140K more residents than TN right now; but TN growing at about 30K faster per year. If continues, it will take less than 5 years for TN to overtake MA, which has had a bit of a growth spurt over the past few years, but it will be interesting to see if that continues as the "blue flu" (effects of the Tax Reform of '17) causes some (many) to move to lower tax states.

I keep waiting for Knoxville to start taking off. It's moving along at a healthy clip, but I think it still needs to be discovered by people outside the usual (southern and midwestern) regions to start to see the draw of a midsize city with the state's flagship university and proximity to the mountains. Even to people in the region, Nashville is getting too big and Knoxville could fill the role it used to have as a nice place to move (to get away from too big a city). Lots of Californians, even folks in the Northwest, are finding out about the charms of the Southeast and Tennessee in particular. TN is a happy balance to the steroidal growth of certain other Southeastern states on one hand, and definitely better than other adjacent/nearby states in the doldrums. Healthy growth. But of course, as tends to happen, healthy growth can turn into steroidal growth eventually.

As a state with lots of different size cities, TN doesn't have one "beast" metro area that sucks the life out of other smaller cities in the state. On that note, Memphis needs to get its act together to take advantage of the state's present sweet spot. That city is not bad, but it is just so poorly managed with lots of corrupt officials. I have stories about their city council and mayors office that would make your head spin. They are known for under the table dealing and the old "boss hogg" tactics of disapproving a proposed project if they can't profit from it personally. But the voters in Memphis keep sending them back. I realize this is not the same as local government but still in the same vein, but their congressional rep is the utterly despicable Steven Cohen. Even members of his own party hate him.
I imagine Tennessee will be over 7 million by the 2020 census. It's growth is truly remarkable over the past 10 - 15 years or so. It's becoming a huge retirement destination, and one to escape both the cold brutal winters of the northeast and the upper midwest, as well as the heavily taxed regions of NY, CT and NJ.

In terms of Knoxville, I completely agree with your statement here. I've always been a bit puzzled as to why Knoxville city has not surged with its population, but as it stands now, it has the most city population than it ever has. The metro area is growing somewhat briskly though, and I imagine that will continue. As far as booming and taking off--it could happen and I feel like its time is now or very soon. It really is in a prime location with many lakes/rivers nearby, the mountain views/mountain activities super close, and the tons of offerings by the Gatlinburg area within half hour from most of Knoxville.

And with Memphis, that is fascinating and I suspected the city council and government is to blame for a lot of the stagnant development/stalled projects/decline of a lot of the city over the years. If you look up development projects in and around downtown/south downtown and midtown though, Memphis has a really large amount of projects under development/redevelopment now or upcoming on the table. But a true "destination/boom city" goal is one you'd think the city would go after, especially since Nashville has left it in the dust in the past 10 years....it's remarkable to think that Nashville and Memphis were pretty even in city population size in 1990. Now, Nashville is in a whole different league and Memphis is struggling to even keep its status with its current peer cities like Louisville, Birmingham, Salt Lake City, Providence, etc.

Old 01-28-2018, 08:31 PM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Quote:
Keep in mind that Chattanooga's numbers do not include any from the metro counties in both GA and AL. I'd guess that would add up to close to 1000. Also, Bradley County is not included in the metro. So that figure would reflect mostly Hamilton County. Houses popping up all over the place.

Wonder if the Tri Cities is also affected from their data not including starts in Virginia.
The numbers are for the entire metropolitan areas, not just the parts located within Tennessee.

Quote:
Interestingly, the city of Knoxville isn't seeing much new housing; the bulk of the new housing is in unincorporated Knox County. Knoxville city had 235 new homes while unincorporated Knox County had 1,269. Farragut had 154. In comparison, Chattanooga city had 537 new homes while unincorporated Hamilton County had "only" 786. Several smaller cities than Knoxville had more new homes built in 2017: Chattanooga, Clarksville, Cookeville, Franklin, Gallatin, Hendersonville, Johnson City, Lebanon, Mount Juliet, Murfreesboro, Smyrna, and Spring Hill.

But Tennessee is definitely a popular destination. The Census Bureau places Tennessee in the East South Central Division, along with Alabama, Kentucky, and Mississippi. Tennessee had more new housing than Alabama, Kentucky, and Mississippi combined. The Nashville MSA had more new homes built than 28 other states:
  • Alabama
  • Alaska
  • Arkansas
  • Connecticut
  • Delaware
  • Hawaii
  • Idaho
  • Iowa
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky
  • Louisiana
  • Maine
  • Maryland
  • Massachusetts
  • Mississippi
  • Missouri
  • Montana
  • Nebraska
  • New Hampshire
  • New Mexico
  • North Dakota
  • Oklahoma
  • Rhode Island
  • South Dakota
  • Vermont
  • West Virginia
  • Wisconsin
  • Wyoming

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 02-01-2018, 08:11 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
I took the back road from Collegedale to Ringgold recently and was boggled by the amount of new construction north of the state line. Development after development currently under construction, it seemed like no gaps. I wondered how much of this was Ringgold commuters looking to avoid income tax.

Quote:
I keep waiting for Knoxville to start taking off. It's moving along at a healthy clip, but I think it still needs to be discovered by people outside the usual (southern and midwestern) regions
I don't think Knoxville needs to be discovered and "take off". Why do you? A steady growth rate is fine. It seems that Chattanooga is doing a great job attracting the hype seekers and I am happy they (you) are taking the pressure off.

Quote:
and the tons of offerings by the Gatlinburg area within half hour from most of Knoxville.
Gatlinburg is at least 45 minutes, more like an hour from most of Knoxville. But the attractions are an easy day trip.

Last edited by creeksitter; 02-01-2018 at 08:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee