Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2008, 02:28 PM

2 posts, read 11,715 times

Advertisements

I am retired and looking to move from the UP of MI to get to a warmer climate. I love to fish and hike. How is the cost of living?, Home ownership?Personal safety? How are the bugs in the summer?
Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 02:44 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,132,927 times
Well, you'd certainly have a great place to fish at Tims Ford Lake.

I don't live in Winchester and don't have too much information about the town itself. The cost of living should be relatively low; however, like most areas near the lakes in Tennessee, the price of homes with a lake view are getting somewhat expensive.

We have a variety of tiny critters here in Tennessee (ticks, chiggers, mosquitoes, houseflies); but I don't think you'd find it that bad coming from MI. We don't have the black fly problem that some areas up north do.

Overall, I'd say it's probably a pretty good place to retire. It would be somewhat less inviting if you were looking for a good job.

Old 03-23-2008, 03:32 PM

2 posts, read 11,715 times
Thanks Alleycat fo the quick response. Where do you live? If you were to move in the area where would you choose to locate? How is the humidity in the summer?

Is there a crime problem in the area?
Thanks again for the information.

Old 03-23-2008, 04:20 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,132,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alonzo View Post
Thanks Alleycat fo the quick response. Where do you live? If you were to move in the area where would you choose to locate? How is the humidity in the summer?

Is there a crime problem in the area?
Thanks again for the information.
I live in Nashville, but I grew up in Clarksville/Montgomery County, Tennessee.

It does get hot and humid in the summer here in most parts of Tennessee. It's a little less in the higher elevations of East Tennessee but it's still pretty warm.

I don't really know anything about the crime in Winchester. That area is included in the areas covered by the Nashville television stations and I don't hear of Winchester very much on the news. There was a big meth lab problem in some of the rural areas of Tennessee a few years ago, but there's been a big push to shut them down.

Another place you might consider is the Paris area. Kentucky Lake and Lake Barkley are nearby, as is the Land Between the Lakes recreation area and Paris Landing State Park.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:12 AM

196 posts, read 730,268 times
I am originally from Winchester and if you're looking for a quiet, low crime, low cost of living, no state income taxes, lots of waters for fishing, then Winchester is the place for you. Home prices are reasonable except on the lakes as alleycat said. You can find the necessities in WInchester/Franklin County but you are also within 1 hours of Huntsville, Ala, Nashville and Chattanooga TN. As for fishing, you have Tims Ford, Woods Reservior, and Normandy Lakes. Less than one hour away are Nickajack and Guntersville.
I am planning to build a lake cottage there in the next year and live part time there. You may email me if you have specific questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee