Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 08:04 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,193,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
Re-seed the lawn with actual grass verses green weeds.
Fence in the back yard.

Fix up two riding lawn mowers that we never use because the yard doesn't warrant them and sell them to make more room in the shed.
Put up a hammock in the back yard and take a break!
Don't have to mow weeds as often... How big of riding lawn mowers do you have (hp)? I may macrame' a few hammocks this year if I can find some more of that braided nylon cord that is real thin again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
Hit the Tennessee plant swaps and you can probably get some for free. I know someone in Knoxville who brings seeds to the East Tennessee Swap and I vaguely remember someone offering saplings.
Check the Tennessee forum on Garden Web for swap info.
Gardening in Tennessee - GardenWeb
The UT Arboretum will have a plant sale April 19. Great place to pick up trees that you know will do well in Tennessee.
UT Knoxville | Forest Resources Research and Education Center
Many thanks for the info Knoxgarden, I am surprised how few there are for sale since they are such a nice tree and have fruit to boot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 08:37 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Ackkkkk, I wouldn't dig a post hole again if my life depended on it. I used the fiberglass posts and they are so fast and easy to put up. Bringing all of mine with me as hope to get another horse after we get settled.
Dont blame you there. One has to do what one can tho. I was paying my newphew and gs $2 per hole with post inserted. They quit on me after about 12 holes. LOL.
With the high cost of hay and rising cost of grain and all this darn work I have been considering getting rid of one of my horses! Heck, I have to work so hard to keep the up, I dont have time to ride anymore.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:02 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
I got new software about a month ago and have been making slideshows/executable files of my recent outdoor photos, putting the slideshows to music, making DVD/CD photo labels and mailing the CDs/DVDs to friends. I'm waiting for the leaves on the trees to do a bigger Spring slideshow project.

But it feels really cheap, girly and pitiful next to all of these Spring projects requiring muscle, sweat and dirt.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:12 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
I think that sounds really neat Laura. You have some beautiful photos.

That reminds me that I should take before and after photos of my projects.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:46 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,662,720 times
More on pawpaws.
There are three nurseries in Tennessee that are supposed to sell them, according to the PawPaw Foundation.
KYSU 2008 Pawpaw Nursery List
I'd forgotten about that group. My mother, who grew up in Crossville, ate pawpaws as a child and remembered them fondly. She talked about them a lot and was a member of the foundation but never got around to growing one. She and my dad moved to California way back when.
University of Kentucky is doing a lot of research on pawpaws and is trying to spread the word about the tree.
My mother said a ripe pawpaw was the most wonderful thing she ever tasted.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:48 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,363,371 times
Are pawpaws readily available in TN? I love trying new fruits!!

Old 03-28-2008, 12:28 PM

130 posts, read 475,291 times
What is a paw paw tree. House was completed in Aug. 07 in Hawks Bluff (Spencer, TN) and it is time to plant some seed! what other types of shrubs are good to grow up in the plateau? I would like to do some planting when I am up there in July, so I need some gardening advice from those of you that have experience with what grows well up there!
Thank you.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:21 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,662,720 times
There's info on PawPaw trees here:
K.State University Land Grant Program: Pawpaw FAQ
It's a tree native to North America and grows wild on the Cumberland Plateau at least. That's where my mother tried them.
I don't recall seeing them in stores. Farmer's markets may have them. The Paw Paw Foundation is working on getting them more widely accepted. They're described as tasting like a combination of a banana, mango and pineapple.

Old 03-28-2008, 02:55 PM

130 posts, read 475,291 times
Anyone know where to get a Paw Paw?

Old 03-28-2008, 07:40 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,135,408 times
Does anybody know anything about the Beaver Creek Nursery in Knoxville?

They have a great website that says they carry all trees and shrubs common to the area, as well as, hard to find species.

Might be worth a phone call.

It's a dot net website with the nursery name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee