Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 09:38 PM

30 posts, read 98,502 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am new to this. I hope I'm posting correctly. I am in search of a friendly smaller town that my husband and I can make our retirement home. We currently live in Ohio but long for a home in the mountains. Can anyone give me any names of towns that you are familiar with that you could tell me about?
Thank you very much. I do appreciate your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2006, 10:17 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanie View Post
Hello! I am new to this. I hope I'm posting correctly. I am in search of a friendly smaller town that my husband and I can make our retirement home. We currently live in Ohio but long for a home in the mountains. Can anyone give me any names of towns that you are familiar with that you could tell me about?
Thank you very much. I do appreciate your help.
What do you plan to do with your time when you retire so people can suggest a place you might like?

Old 12-13-2006, 04:13 PM

7 posts, read 14,793 times
More informaion on hobbies, interest would help

google the following towns , Oak Ridge, Kingston, Harriman, Rockwood,

Kingston is a particular favorite. where the Clinch , Tennesse and Emory
Rivers converge and Dont forget Watts Bar Lake..

Old 12-14-2006, 07:16 AM

1 posts, read 1,716 times
yes, you need to list hobbies, the town i am from in tellico, nothing to do except look at the mountains. very quite. i live in athens now, and there is still not that much to do, but a much bigger town, tellico does have stop signs but it is so small, no red lights, just the beauty of the mtn's and river

Old 12-14-2006, 08:37 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,325,687 times
Another suggestion is to look back through the pages here and read what others have said about their likes and dislikes of the different areas talked about here. If you scroll to the bottom of the main TN page you will see a list of previous pages (numbered).

Old 12-14-2006, 09:37 AM

506 posts, read 1,476,144 times
Greeneville is a pretty nice little town (pop around 15,000). Mountains all around and it only takes 15-20 minutes to get to them. There is a lot of history - Andrew Johnson is from there, and Davy Crockett is from Greene County. Downtown is nice & in great shape. And if you ever want to go to a bigger city & do shopping or something there are plenty of options a short drive away: Johnson City is 30 minutes away, Asheville, NC 1 hour, and Knoxville 1 hour.

More info: Check out

http://greenevillesun.com/
and
http://gcp.xtn.net/ (broken link)

Jonesborough (20 minutes up the road from Greeneville, right outside Johnson City about 5-10 minutes) may also be another option for you. Smaller than Greeneville (pop is around 5,000), but it is an incredible little town (oldest town in TN). You are still by all the mountains, the drive is about the same as Greeneville, although maybe a little longer. The downtown is even nicer than Greeneville's with lots of nice little shops and restaurants. There is a huge storytelling festival here every year that draws lots of people.

http://www.jonesboroughtn.org/

Like mbmouse said, try searching around these past few pages for more info. I believe there is a couple other similar threads. Good luck!

Old 12-14-2006, 10:45 AM

3 posts, read 13,590 times
I am in the area of Monroe County. Sweetwater is a great place to be. It is close to the interstate to get to Knoxville for shopping and about 25 mintues away from the Cherokee National Forest. It is also a historic town with lots of antique and village shops. Homes are cheaper and cost of living is less. Sweetwater is growing, but for now the price of real estate is inexpensive. [moderator cut]

Last edited by Mike from back east; 12-14-2006 at 05:34 PM.. Reason: No realtor or other advertising allowed here.

Old 12-15-2006, 07:37 PM

Default thank you

Thank you very much for your replies.
I have been reading the forums and will continue to do so. They are very helpful.
You asked about hobbies. We would need high speed internet, a home outside of town, fairly close medical facilities. We spend free time with computers, our dog, possible AKC training/tracking, genealogy research, gardening and home improvement. I will be retiring from public school teaching in June but I would like to teach part-time or spend some time volunteering in a school or library setting. I've taught music for years and am also teaching computer classes now.
My husband will be looking for a job. He is currently a bio-medical technician in our local hospital.
Thank you very much for all of your ideas. We are planning a trip to the area just after Christmas and appreciate your help.

Old 12-15-2006, 08:01 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times
Signal and Lookout Mountain in Chattanooga come to mind. Pretty expensive, though.

LOTS of hospitals in Knoxville. That's where we are. Knoxville isn't very mountainous, though. Well, you might think so. My husband is from Chicago. We live in north Knox County and my husband thinks he is in the mountains!

When we moved here, a year ago, there was a teacher that had just moved from Fort Lauderdale. She volunteered in my daughter's elementary school as the science teacher. She is fantastic. The school's are very relaxed here. You don't have to be certified in the state to teach as a volunteer. We don't have a lot of regulation. We just do what is right for the kids. I hope that never changes.

Old 12-15-2006, 09:53 PM

Default thanks for the teaching info

Thank you for the information on teaching. I hadn't thought about investigating licensure in TN but it might be helpful to know what is permitted, what isn't permitted. Maybe I could continue teaching. I always wanted to teach a class at the college level although I do love teaching elementary kids as I do now. Licensure in Ohio has made big changes since I began.

One more question? My husband really wants to leave Ohio due to the cold and snow. And because we are in "sinus valley." Any ideas on whether folks have a lot of sinus troubles in east TN? He has already had sinus surgery twice. Headaches, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee