Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 10:25 PM

1 posts, read 924 times

Advertisements

as far as jobs vonore tn has alot of manufacturing jobs and is located on tellico lake it is a small town but roughly an hour or less from knoxville and less than that to the great smokey mountains national park also if you like to ride bikes the famous tail of the dragon highway 129 is close by aswell
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2018, 05:25 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,025,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
No beaches in TN aside from lakes or rivers.

Chatty and west TN will have the least snow. Aside from high elevations in the Smokies and around Roan Mountain, you'll see just a fraction of NY snow. The top of Roan Mountain will have a winter that makes most of upstate NY look mild.

Your questions are so general it's hard to know where to start. Nashville is by far more expensive than the rest of the state, but has the bulk of the good jobs. Middle TN is booming in general. West TN is not scenic and has few appealing reasons to be there. I am from and live in northeast TN. Our job market sucks, but we have natural scenery in spades. West TN, and even middle TN, do not have a fraction of the scenery that is in my backyard in south Johnson City. I'm a hurried ten minutes to the Cherokee National Forest at Limestone Cove. The Pisgah National Forest is just beyond that. Buffalo Mountain is a couple minute drive from my condo.
I went to college in the 70s in NE TN. Just prior to retiring here almost 6 years ago, I lived on Staten Island. We bought our retirement home in SW TN. As for NE TN, it's beautiful if you like mountains;and the prices are much higher. Generally, the further west you go, the lower the prices; an exception being the "big" cities of Knoxville, Nashville, Memphis, and Chattanooga. There's a smaller city midway between Nashville and Memphis, and that's Jackson. All the cities, except for Chatt, are along I-40. There are 4 divisions to TN - NE, E, Middle, and West. There is a huge difference weatherwise - considering that the NE has the highest mountains, moving west (and south), following I-40, the further west you go, the lower the elevation. My area of SW TN is NOT flat, but it isn't big hills either.

Snow: NE gets the most, Nashville/middle still quite a bit, and SW (until this past year), very little, under an inch. We left our shovels back in NY but had to buy one this past winter. We had a couple inches and we are hoping this doesn't predict what's coming because we'll have to head south. The blizzard of '78 in RI (where I was living at the time) and subsequent 4-5' snows while on SI, have changed my opinion of snow - it's pretty to look at in a picture.

We also have a lot longer summer here - we've been using our pool for a couple weeks already, but in past years we were up and running the early part of May. We continue being able to use it until late October. Again, the further northeast you go, the shorter the summer and the longer the winter.

Jobs I definitely do not recommend coming to the SW, except in Memphis (and I really can't say much). I know that our county and the surrounding ones are among the lowest per capita income in the state and have the highest jobless rate - although that doesn't take into account farming which is mostly what the land around here is used for - cotton, soybeans, and sweet potatoes along with goat and cattle - small horse farms but nothing big like you'd find in middle TN.

Beach - if you're looking for Florida or Jersey shore beaches, fuggedaboudit. There are some lake and stream/river beaches but having grown up on the Jersey shore, I can't call mud/redclay or grass a beach. But folks here seem to love them - just make sure to keep your feet off the bottom as there are catfish that are bottom feeders - some people catch them just by sticking their arms down and let the fish bite - canoodling I've been told it's called.

You can't get Wise potato chips or Cheez-Doodles (not to be confused with Cheetos), there is a place in MS that makes NY pizza and I've just learned there's a place in Jackson that makes NY cheesecake - but we've yet to try it. They close daily from 2-5 - as do many restaurants in this area.

As for scenery - I don't need a mountain view to have good scenery. There's some truly spectacular areas in SW TN.

Last edited by NY Annie; 05-31-2018 at 05:26 PM.. Reason: add

Old 05-31-2018, 09:36 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,025,792 times
You bought a shovel for two inches of snow?

I've lived in Knoxville for 13 years and I've never had to use a shovel, don't own a hat or gloves for that matter.

Old 06-02-2018, 05:16 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,025,835 times
HAHAHA - Hiknapster!!! how did I know to expect a response from you?! It was actually 4" and was on top of a coating of ice - which lasted for 2 days!! Being out in the country surrounded by trees, there was no/very little sun on the deck/stairs. And dogs need to be walked whether there's snow or no snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee