Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2008, 05:23 PM

7 posts, read 38,257 times

Advertisements

Hi, we're in Illinois, but I need to find out some information about Pickwick Lake for my son in 3rd grade. Answers to these questions would be great!

1. What is the lake's size?
2. What is an interesting feature of the lake?
3. How is the lake used? Just for fun, or does it serve a purpose?
4. What animals live in or near this lake?

One more question...he's supposed to tell where the lake is located, but three states actually meet in the middle of the lake (Mississippi, Alabama, & Tennessee). Since technically, it's actually in 3 states, does anyone know if it's more well-known in one of those states over the others?

THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 05:43 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,211,854 times
You can do a simple Google search for any of the features of the lake (TVA has one for each lake in their system).

A little information out the top of my pointy little head:

The lake is used for flood control, power generation, and for improved navigation of the river.

Here's a couple of pieces of trivia that you son might find interesting. Pickwick Dam and Lake are named after Pickwick Landing . . . which was named because the postmaster (I think that's who it was) was a fan of Charles Dickens and named the place after Dickens's novel, The Pickwick Papers. The Battle of Shiloh (called the Battle of Pittsburg Landing by the Union) was fought near the site of Pickwick Dam.

The dam itself is in Tennessee; however, I don't think any of the three states considers it more theirs than the other two states. Your son could use the location of the dam as a starter, then explains how the reservoir (headwaters) extends upriver from there into Mississippi and Alabama.

There are some parks along the lake. If your son needs more information than he can find online, I'm sure that if he contacts either the park authority (or perhaps even the TVA), they would be willing to send a 3rd grader some additional information.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:22 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,520,245 times
TVA: Pickwick Reservoir

Old 03-28-2008, 02:48 AM

849 posts, read 2,955,124 times
I love those type of projects. I remember when I was in the 7th grade, we had to do a project on an assigned state. I got assigned to do Tennessee! I remember, vaguely now, that I wrote many colleges asking for information, as well as other organizations. The fun part of the project was doing a topographical model of the state. Someday, I get to live in that model!

Good luck on the project and take some time to write some of the businesses and marinas to see what other info you can dig up! Thanks for sparking a good memory for me!

Old 03-28-2008, 04:05 PM

Thanks so much for your answers! I did google it, but again my son is only in 3rd grade, so he has 4 basic questions to answer. When I google it, I get a whole wealth of information that I have to sift through, so it's much easier to find great people like you to help out!

Still looking for the animal question. We actually "caught" a turtle when we were fishing there 4 years ago, but other than turtles and fish, I don't know if there's much more to find. Anyone know?

Old 03-28-2008, 04:33 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,211,854 times
Well, some of the animals that are relatively common in Tennessee include raccoons, possums, squirrels, rabbits, foxes, whitetail deer, snakes (mostly harmless except for a few species), wild turkeys, and a bunch of others. I don't live near the Pickwick area, so I can't say what's common and what's not in that particular area, but that would be a good idea of the animal life here in Tennessee.

I wish your son the best with his studies. I know your son is only in the third grade now but when he gets a little older, have him sign in and ask the questions . . . I promise everyone here on the Tennessee forum will treat him nicely.

Old 03-29-2008, 12:52 PM

92 posts, read 584,161 times
Here are some pics of Pickwick that I took last fall. Your son is more than welcome to use them for his project if he likes. http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o.../pickwick3.jpg and

pickwick2.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Old 03-30-2008, 09:44 PM

Thank you everyone for your help. I believe we've got all the info we need. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee