Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 07:54 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,008,695 times

Advertisements

Thought you might be interested in this general article about East and Middle Tennessee park hiking and biking if you are new to the area. Although they reference proximity to Knoxville, it really has nothing to do with Knoxville itself.

Taking to the trails : Discover : Knoxville News Sentinel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 08:28 AM

13,353 posts, read 39,959,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Thought you might be interested in this general article about East and Middle Tennessee park hiking and biking if you are new to the area. Although they reference proximity to Knoxville, it really has nothing to do with Knoxville itself.

Taking to the trails : Discover : Knoxville News Sentinel
Thanks for posting this, LauraC. We really are blessed to be in this part of the country where we have so many beautiful places for hiking and camping.

Big South Fork, Frozen Head, Savage Gulf, and Fall Creek Falls are my favorites. Not only do they have cool, quirky names, they're absolutely beautiful up there on the rugged Cumberland Plateau.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Thanks for posting this, LauraC. We really are blessed to be in this part of the country where we have so many beautiful places for hiking and camping.

Big South Fork, Frozen Head, Savage Gulf, and Fall Creek Falls are my favorites. Not only do they have cool, quirky names, they're absolutely beautiful up there on the rugged Cumberland Plateau.
You know, I'm no hiker or biker but I just figured out this past week, that I have been to 7 state parks in the 10.5 months I have been here (Norris Dam, Frozen Head, Big Ridge, Cumberland, Fall Creek Falls, Ft Loudoun, Cove Lake).

I'll try to hit Big South Fork sometime this month or May and the main part of GSMNP - have only been to Cades Cove - 5x.

Old 03-30-2008, 01:41 PM

200 posts, read 683,864 times
This is super! THANKS! This is what made me fall in love with TN (compared to down here in "FLAT-I-DA")
=\
We not only like to hike but ride our motorcycles (leisurely) on scenic routes. Very interesting article - thanks Laura C.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:43 AM

380 posts, read 1,178,524 times
TeeJayMaJay, I hear that motorcyclists love the Cherohala Skyway in the Appalachians from TN to NC. Here's a link:

Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap and Cherohala Skyway, Graham Co, NC

Here in TN we are lucky to have not only the Appalachians, but also the Cumberland Plateau. Another of nature's treasures. I love to bike, but I'm wimpy. I can do 20 miles in FL easy, but 1/4 mile ride up a mountain is too much for me. I just hike it instead.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:21 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,484,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
You know, I'm no hiker or biker but I just figured out this past week, that I have been to 7 state parks in the 10.5 months I have been here (Norris Dam, Frozen Head, Big Ridge, Cumberland, Fall Creek Falls, Ft Loudoun, Cove Lake).

I'll try to hit Big South Fork sometime this month or May and the main part of GSMNP - have only been to Cades Cove - 5x.
Which was your favorite?

Old 04-04-2008, 08:03 AM

McMar - being MSF Instructors (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) many of our students have ridden the "dragon". Hear it has been getting quite crowded and many say the "back roads" are just as good, if not better! You are correct - 20 miles in FL is so different than those gorgeous mtns. (that is why I am on a dual sport mc)
=)
Love reading about all the parks up there! You DO REALLY have some great scenic ones - that is for sure! I loved Fall Creek Falls!!!

Old 04-04-2008, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Dan View Post
Which was your favorite?
Well, of the state parks I'd have to say Fall Creek Falls for the pure size and majesty of it all but since I visited most of the others post-fall foliage, so I haven't been to them when leaves were on the trees, I'll have to get back to you a little later this Spring after a re-visit. One of the reasons I like Fall Creek Falls is because you can see lake, streams, mountains, gorges, waterfalls all by driving around and then walking a just a little to the nice spots. You don't really have to be a hiker to see nice and different scenery. I especially like the north end of the park. I would like that park even if it didn't have a single waterfall. I like the gorges. The park has a more extensive road structure, too, which I like.

I enjoyed Ft Loudoun because it's different and because I was there when the living history people were there. Wasn't too impressed with Frozen Head or Big Ridge but I was at both on very sunny days and when there were no leaves on the trees - both bad for photography, in my opinion.

Norris Dam State Park suffers because the surrounding area, again in my opinion, is more beautiful than the state park. You know, if you never go in the state park entrances, it's still a nice/pretty place to visit. I spend a lot of time on 441 at the overlooks, marinas, Weir Dam, watershed/Museum of Appalachia but don't go in the park too much.

I kind of like Cove Lake. It's not really big but it's a good place to see birds and I like the paved paths. I only went to Cumberland for our last forum picnic and didn't really explore it so I want to go back there, too. But my target in May or the end of this month will be Big South Fork.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:32 AM

340 posts, read 1,189,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMar View Post
TeeJayMaJay, I hear that motorcyclists love the Cherohala Skyway in the Appalachians from TN to NC. Here's a link:

Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap and Cherohala Skyway, Graham Co, NC

Here in TN we are lucky to have not only the Appalachians, but also the Cumberland Plateau. Another of nature's treasures. I love to bike, but I'm wimpy. I can do 20 miles in FL easy, but 1/4 mile ride up a mountain is too much for me. I just hike it instead.
Cherohala Skyway is great! And we live close to the 'Dragon', and can tell you that the faint of heart need to stay away. Many of the guys on the racing bikes have spoiled the trip for everyone else. They drive fast and dangerously. You have to be very defensive in your driving to go that route. We used to take it as a shortcut to NC and at times just go the long way around now.

Cherohala Skyway doesn't have the same problem, fortunately. For the most part, all are courteous. Our next-door neighbors have a bike and go over to Cherohala. They've stopped travelling the Dragon, even though it's only 20 minutes away.

Old 04-05-2008, 03:51 PM

Hey thanks for the link Cherohala Skyway - that is gorgeous! When we taught the ERC (Experienced Rider Course) we actually advised our students to think twice about riding the Dragon Tail - we heard about the dangerous riders zooming all around. Not all riders are that way but all it takes are just a few bad ones to make the trip unenjoyable. In fact that "news" made it into many MSF/AMA publications as warnings. We taught our students to be defensive drivers, as well as other items, but hate to be so defensive that you lose the "joy of riding"..... I like seeing that speed limit on Cherohala Skyway. Riding is the main part of the trip, not the resulting-ending goal (riding=the adventure of riding the winding roads, the view, the other folks, etc) THANKS AGAIN, for the super link!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee