Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 03:57 PM

48 posts, read 128,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by williboy View Post
We just moved up from Florida and our homebuilder is a white native born Tennessean. His work crew is almost entirely Mexican and the man treats them like family. Since I've been here, I haven't encountered a hint of racism. The population is mostly white, but everyone seems to get along very well. We live in Telford which close to Jonesborough and not far from Greeneville. I think you will love this area.
I am thanking both you and another member here for this information on racism.....

Like I told the other one; my wife is Thai and she means the world to me. We are moving to a rural part of Greene County not far at all from where you are and I was really worried about it.

We are from Florida too...What part of Florida did you move from???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 04:00 PM

7,534 posts, read 17,219,213 times
I don't think you'll encounter any problems, either. My uncle has a Filipena wife and it never causes problems. Actually, my other uncle is gay, and his partner of 20-some years doesn't, either. These are both in Greene. Most people here are actually pretty cool about others' choices, moreso than you'd think at first. And with my generation (under 25) it's not even an issue.... as in, we don't even conceptualize things like this.

Of course, that's nationwide, I think, not just Southern. (And, probably, we're a generation or so behind, but...)

Edit- oops, I see I already posted in this thread a few weeks ago. Oh well, more info never hurts.

Old 11-11-2007, 11:12 AM

22 posts, read 59,886 times
Default Yay...

When ya find one, let me know. When we move up there, we're hopingto find a place where we can meet neighbors that don't drink alcohol....LOL. Getting too old for it...now we need the caffeine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Long View Post
Thank you all very much for the information. Now can someone tell me of a good coffee shop where I can meet with new friends, brag on how great we were in sports 40 years ago and bad mouth Jeff Gordon.

Old 11-11-2007, 06:19 PM

7,534 posts, read 17,219,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladygentleheart1025 View Post
When we move up there, we're hoping to find a place where we can meet neighbors that don't drink alcohol....LOL. Getting too old for it...now we need the caffeine!
Don't move in beside me!

Old 11-11-2007, 09:46 PM

302 posts, read 1,443,311 times
Talking I live in Hawkins County

Have only lived here a short time, but have only met wonderful people and the area is beautiful. I am one of those people who loves to talk to others and I seem to fit in even with my new york/california accent We have been accepted probably because we accept and appreciate everyone for being themselves and we dont act narrow minded and bigoted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee