U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2018, 06:29 AM

5,548 posts, read 7,461,018 times

Advertisements

Hello

I will be moving for retirement closer to my family and wonder if anyone has feedback on Franklin County. Maybe Winchester or Suwannee? My first college was Middle Tennessee State University. I was fairly familiar with TN and still have good feelings about the state and mostly the people. It seems like TN would be a good fit for me but many things have changed in the intervening years - myself included. So seeking your current input.

I am an Asheville NC native and have relatives on both sides of the NC/TN border. My mother, sister, and son/his family live in Knoxville. Oak Ridge may be my ultimate decision but other than that, I haven't warmed up to ET too much despite trying to do so.

Any thoughts you have would be welcome.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2018, 09:24 AM

4,740 posts, read 9,550,316 times
Not a resident however I live about an hour away from Franklin County and visit occasionally. The view from the University of the South (Sewanee) is outstanding. While there are some residences nearby with that view, expect to pay for the pleasure. The nearest town is Monteagle (on I24) which is small (like 1,500 people) and scenic. Winchester (about 8,000 people) actually 'feels' larger than it is, to me, but obviously it's still quite small. The area is part of the Tullahoma MSA (Micropolitan). I like the area.

Old 10-07-2018, 08:25 PM

1,486 posts, read 1,365,341 times
Tim's Ford Lake is in Franklin County. Google that area if living near the water interests you.

I'm two counties west and like the Winchester area but truthfully don't get over that way very often to be of any detailed help.

When the weather gets wet and freezing or below freezing I-24 up in Monteagle (Sewannee area) can get really dicey if that sort of driving conditions bothers you.

Also, there are certain areas of Moore, Coffee, and Franklin counties that the tornadoes seem to have a path they follow.

Also be cautious to not buy in a flood zone. Flood zones have been re-mapped in my county in recent years but I don't know about Franklin County. All I can say is, with the weather as whacky as it's been lately, buy on high ground with good drainage

Best of luck in your search and enjoy your retirement

Old 10-08-2018, 05:26 AM

5,548 posts, read 7,461,018 times
thank y'all for the input. loading the car up now and am looking forward to driving through Franklin County and get a good look see.

and thank you on the retirement thing. Weird thing, my lifetime accumulation is reduced to one half filled POD. and most of that is stuff saved for my kids.

Old 10-08-2018, 10:07 AM

4,740 posts, read 9,550,316 times
If you'll be visiting 'The Boro' and haven't seen it since college, you may be shocked at the growth.

Old 10-08-2018, 11:57 AM

22,583 posts, read 50,457,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
thank y'all for the input. loading the car up now and am looking forward to driving through Franklin County and get a good look see.

and thank you on the retirement thing. Weird thing, my lifetime accumulation is reduced to one half filled POD. and most of that is stuff saved for my kids.
A couple of months ago, I gave 95 percent of my things to my daughter and the neighbors. You are doing your kids a favor, they don't have to sort through all of that crap when you're dead.

On the other hand, I will start buying crap before you know it and I'll probably be right back where I started in no time!

Old 10-10-2018, 11:29 AM

1,486 posts, read 1,365,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post

On the other hand, I will start buying crap before you know it and I'll probably be right back where I started in no time!
We built this retirement home 15 years ago -- I vowed the attic would not become a catch-pen for everything and anything -- I hadn't been up there in a couple years as DH does all the inspecting up there -- it seems he also does all the "everything and anything" throwing of stuff up there --

There's stuff (junk) everywhere. It doesn't look at all like my last memory of it -- it took me ten minutes to find what I was looking for
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee