Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2008, 03:17 PM

13 posts, read 41,139 times

Advertisements

Here in Western NY we go by which county we live in. How the taxes are anyways. Like sales Tax is 9% or almost. Gas is crazy of course. Property taxes are wonderful in my county and the next one over is out of control! (example we have 5 acres ($1700.00) and my brother has about 1/4 of an acre and pays the same amount as we do) He's just one county over! So someone tell me how much are taxes? Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 03:33 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,145,742 times
Let's see it I can give you the short version. Property taxes vary by county and city; there are links around here somewhere that lists the tax rates for every county and city in Tennessee (I can find the link if you can't; I know I'm posted the link once or twice myself). According to where you live in a certain county, you might only pay the county portion of the property tax. If you live with a city limits in that same county, you might also pay a city property tax. With me so far (I know it all gets confusing)?

Now, for more fun. There is a state and local sales tax rates. And to make it more interesting the state has two tax rates (actually more, but let's forget about that). The state has a certain sales tax rate on food, and another on everything else. Each county/city can then impose a sale tax in addition to the state sales tax. If I remember correctly, the maximum that any city or county can impose in addition is 2.5%.

So, what all of that means is we have to know exactly where you live to tell you either the sales or property tax rates. If you live here it's really not that complicated; you go in and buy something, they charge you the correct sales tax. The city/county sends you a nice little notice saying how much you owe in property taxes.

Does that help, even a little?

Old 04-04-2008, 03:54 PM
Eat

303 posts, read 1,138,482 times
And Etta, there is an income tax here. A lot of people like to say there is no income tax. What they should be saying is there is no tax on wages. Some other forms of income are taxed.

Old 04-04-2008, 04:00 PM

176 posts, read 797,907 times
From a former New Yorker....it doesn't matter whether they tax you out of the right pocket (say, property taxes) or left pocket (sales,etc.) because in any event you will pay here in TN much less total tax than in NY.

You are concerned only with the TOTAL tax you pay.

Old 04-04-2008, 04:04 PM
Eat

From what I have read, of all the states, Tennessee has the second or third lowest total tax burden.

Old 04-04-2008, 04:20 PM
Eat

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
Let's see it I can give you the short version. Property taxes vary by county and city; there are links around here somewhere that lists the tax rates for every county and city in Tennessee (I can find the link if you can't; I know I'm posted the link once or twice myself).
Here's a link to the Comptroller's property assessment page. It has links to just about anything you could want regarding property taxes.

Old 04-04-2008, 04:29 PM

13 posts, read 41,139 times
Thanks much!! I got it now! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee