Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 10:26 AM

300 posts, read 1,455,872 times

Advertisements

All I know is that was the appraisel and I have a copy that my attorney has reviewed so, beyond that I cannot explain why or answer as to why, all I can go by is the appraisel and what it says and what others paid for the land beside it the past few years. But yes, I am gullible and cannot deny that, that is why I am having my attorney look at every piece of paper I am handed, having someone who has been certified as an electrical contractor and also built several home for himself and others, who has had over 50 years experience, wisdom and knowledge of things to look at things for me, it is why I am seeking advice from everyone from my clergy to the man who grew up there, neighbors, strangers, famly, friends, co-workers, bankers, lawyers and more so that I will feel a bit more secure in my decision knowing I did not make a rash decision without thinking things out or having accurate information.

I think that perhaps I have given a bad description of the home and such. I know it is one hundred years old, but it is far from needing to be ripped down, demolished and destroyed. It is not in THAT bad of shape. I know that is hard to tell when you have vague pictures and a description form someone else. I will say that we looked at lots of other places within 10 miles of this one, farms at the foot of the mountain. Raw land was priced 7500-15,000 and acre, depending on how many hills, etc there were, mountains, water sources on the land and such. The price of the farm is very comparable to the other farms/land we looked at and better priced than some. We looked at 10 acres at the base of Starr Mountain that had a mountain stream and it was mostly steep mountain land that was only a few thousand less than this farm.

Do you think $107,000 is too much for the 15 acre farm? Who else would I need to consult? I have checked the appraisel, the purchases of connecting land, the neighbors, the agents, the attorney, and more....is there someone I am overlooking? Or something I am overlooking?

Old 03-09-2009, 10:52 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,348,908 times
FB,
I have no advice on what you may be missing. I could even be way off base here, but you sounded defensive about the old farm. If I am wrong, ignore me and chalk it up to my being eccentric.
As a lover of old homes, I do understand your love and desire to make that old farm livable again. Many people in these modern times don't see the faded beauty of a place like that. All they see is something past its prime and needing to be demolished.In the past I've been there, done that. With my first husband, we only bought 100 plus year old homes that needed insulation, updating and were complete gut jobs. But although they were money pits, they were worth every drop of sweat to us. But friends and family thought we were nuts at the time and picked apart everything about each house. Can't tell you how many times we were laughed at because a knob broke on a faucet and we used a wrench to turn the water on and off. I've sure eaten my share of plaster dust over the years and lived in the house as it was gutted and renovated. I did my share of gloating when we eventually sold the houses and made a handsome profit. We did that 3 times. I know you haven't any intentions of selling, I wanted to share my experiences when I bought a place that many didn't see value in or share my opinion. As long as it suits you and Chris and is firm on the foundation, enjoy your choice and what it could become.
As always I wish you well,
Pam

Last edited by Pam& Bill; 03-09-2009 at 10:55 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 03-09-2009, 11:10 AM

23,595 posts, read 70,391,434 times
The appraisal is likely a bit high, given the dropping real estate market. Part of the issue is the area, similar land would sell for much less around here. $107,000 is $7,200/acre +- That could be about right currently for your area. You know that cropland can be more than forested hills, water is vital, road frontage is important, proximity to town factors in, etc.. Maybe a second opinion from a real estate agent would reassure you?
In any event, $107,000 is a big cud to chew. You want to be sure what taxes will be and scratch out a budget first.

BTW, How far away from Amanda's possible place is it? You want easy access there. How traveled is that road? I hadn't noticed before how close you are to it.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:18 AM

22 posts, read 167,463 times
Forest Breath,
What is the size of the house and how much did Don think it would take to fix it up? You can always find free lumber and windows and such..... I built my little 24x24 house for less than $5,000. But, if the house is large enough and with 15 acres, it may appraise at much more than what you pay.

Go to the courthouse. Find out what the appraised value is and how much the annual taxes are on the farm and house. I will bet the $157,000 isn't too far out of line if the other places sold for $9.000 an acre. Just be sure to do your research but.... I think you need to know in your heart if this is the right place and from the way you write, it sounds like it is the place for you... especially after Don's input.

Good Luck.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:56 AM

I already checked on the taxes and it is zoned agriculture of course and the taxes are affordable and relatively low as far as county taxes go. (I hope that is the taxes you are referring to)

The land does have a lot of road frontage, 400-500 feet, I would have to check the paper again to make sure. There is a large creek at the back of the land, large meaning deep and about 40 foot wide in some areas. The land is flat and was all crop land at one time with the exception of the back five acres that was a field for livestock. The only hill is the one the house sits on and it is slight. The old man that lived there most of his life told me those two tracks were a bit more valuable than the ones beside it because the Spring has been tested many times, is clear of bacteria and has never once in the hundred years he has knowledge of the history of the farm ever gone dry. Plus it has 3 branches on it, two of which do not run dry, one is seasonal.

I just want to make sure I am not making a stupid mistake again and want to well....not get scr**ed again by being too trusting and well...."gullible".

As far as Amanda's goes. She lives in Athens, we live in the country in between Athens and Etowah. I drive by her house eveyr day going to work. Chris has been babysitting Perrin at her house every day for a month or so now. Before all of this started, we worked together and she brought Perrin to my house and we rode back to work together every day. I helped her get a better job in Chattanooga and so I drop Chris off now until this land thing is settled. Other than that I would be the same distance from either of my daughters, about 10 miles, which is not but a few miles more than I am right now. This farm is just a few miles from my current house and only a few miles from my Amish friends.

Amanda just called and told me she has really thought about her situation and she does intend to stay where she is, continue to rent and save as much money as she can for now. She will re-look at her situation in a year. I think perhaps there may be a chance she could get a nice modular and put it on the farm, save on payments and we could still live close to each other...but I am not going to give that much consideration right now as it is a maybe and far down the road. I cannot rely on that and if it happens great, if not....so be it. You know...putting the horse before the cart type thing!

The situation with Hazel is just like a pool of water in the middle of a cow pasture. It is just growing nothing but flesh eating bacteria on us. We are preparing to make a legal move very soon because we just simply cannot wait forever on this. We have to end it for our sanity. A million words in this post could not describe what we are going through mentally over all of this. We HAVE to make the decision to move on and follow through with it. Even if we have to walk away with not a penny...it has to end before we both lose our minds over it. BUT.....if we walk away with nothing....it is likely we will get a court injuction to take the house with us, piece by piece. (Another story I will save for another day)

Right now, I am tired from all of this. It is hurting my health. It has stressed me so badly and pushed me to my limits of patience. All I want is some peace, I want to KNOW where we are going to live our life. I am too old for so much chaos. I know what type of lifestyle I want and what will make me happy....which is not much. I just have allowed myself to be hurt by being too trusting and not thinking everything through clearly on major decisions. Yeah if I had it to do over again, I would have still told Jimmy yes the second time he asked me to buy his farm, but....when he said please go pick you out a place for your house and let's get started on it....I would have said...I appreciate your love and kindness...but we need to get the paperwork in order first. Regret is a pain in the ar*e and one cannot imagine how much pain this has given me since October. So this time...I can see a dream, I can see a future, I can see happiness, a life I can love and find that peace.....but I am scared to death and want to make sure that this time it is right and I won't build a simple home for myself again, only to have it ripped from me again in a year and me out looking for another home....because I know....I cannot handle all of this again. I just can't.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:29 PM

25 posts, read 84,000 times
FB,

Take a deep breath. It sounds like you are honestly trying, to the best of your ability, to make sure that you don't repeat past mistakes. Fortunately, you have an attorney and friends who are willing to help make sure that your nature does not lead you to difficulties. You are presenting all this information to your attorney, take his advice. Nobody is perfect, not even people here, and there may be problems in the future that no one can foresee. But set that worry aside and use the advice of the people you trust. You will make the best decision for you and Chris.

Kim

Old 03-09-2009, 04:22 PM

22 posts, read 167,463 times
Forest Breath, along the same lines as Kyrsyan, don't be so scared. You can't look at it like that. You made one mistake and are paying a hefty price. But, you have an attorney, so now there is no reason to be so scared as to let it affect you or affect your relationship with Chris. Like Kyrsyan said.... take a deep breath. Relax, enjoy the process and excitement of a new home and a life you and Chris will set out on.

Old 03-10-2009, 02:27 AM

182 posts, read 780,142 times
Remembering your original post of finding this 'old' farm , i KNEW this was the place for you .. of course i didnt know how Amanda would feel about it .. i feared ,if anything it might hurt your relationship .. but , your higherpower , has spoken .. BELIEVE IN THAT !!!!
You literally asked 'for a sign ' .. and ican't imagine a more 'smooth' way of going than what has happened in just the past week ..
You WILL be in t hat OLD HOUSE> . it was meant for you .and you for it ..
you just have to believe in that . . believe in yourself. . which i'm sure you do . . after all , it takes a lotta CHUTZPAH to take on living 'off the land' . . literally ...and off the g rid too ...
you are one strong lady .. . gullible ??? i disagree,, Hopeful , trusting, yes ... definitely, and the people you originally trusted , Jimmy for one , and his brother , aren' t the ones that scr--wed you .. they wanted to make your dream come alive. . . it wasn't his fault he had t o die in the middle of it all .
so , do what your heart tells you .>> that is not being gullible ... you are having a lawyer lead you , what more could one ask ??
i wish you all the best .. f b . . as i've said many times before . . YOU DESERVE IT ..
GOd bless you and yours ... . sincerely . .Jeanne

Old 03-10-2009, 08:42 AM

Well I have done everything that I know to do in regards to making a final decision on things. I have an attorney who specializes in land deals, he is honestly the best in the county and was the DA for almost a quarter of a century. I feel good about my attorney's abilities and knowledge. I have consulted more people on this decision than I can even remember, but took notes for each one. I talked to the neighbors down there as I think that is important because they live there, know the area and are not trying to sell a farm to me. I have consulted clergy. I have prayed about it. I have consulted family, friends, co-workers who know me, and even the signs. I have talked to 3 agents from different places, two of which have no vested interest in this decision or should I say, will not be making anything off of my decision. I have consulted tax records, old utility records, surrounding land records, insurance information. I have researched things, I have made list after list of cost, budget, possible scenerios that could come up. I have tried to cover all areas and make a knowledgable decision. I have come to the conclusion that.....

I am tired.

Seriously, I am mentally exhausted over all of this. But I am glad that I am not going into this situation blindly like I did before. I can only hope ew are making the right decision. I know that things will come up, I know there will be struggles. Those things happen in any normal every day life for everyone. With the economy like it is and the world like it is, struggles and such are a given. The place will take some work for awhile to get things in order. I mean a place cannot be left to the elements for 10 or so years without needing some work when someone decides to bring it back to life again. BUT... the work is mostly cosmetic work. Painting, replacing some glass, cleaning, fixing a board here and there, repacing the mantle and such. There are a few major things like the chimneys will have to be looked at and repaired by professionals before next Fall, the back porch has one area of roof that needs replaced and then the porch below it replaced (Don and Chris can knock it out in a weekend), The Spring needs cleaned out, the root cellar needs a top on it and a door. But the foundation is in good shape, the roof does not leak and the tin is OK, just needs a paint job. So structurally, the home is good, it just needs a wee bit of a face lift. (Like that poor hideous haint blue in the kitchen covered with something a bit more neutral that will match my mam-maws red trim enamel table and hoosier cabinet).

I have a loving, supportive family. Two wonderful daugher's a perfect fiance', 3 precious grandkids. I have Don, Jimmy's brother, that I love dearly. I have my Cherokee friend Joanna who has been my best friend forever. That is about it. BUT...I have desire, hope, drive, determination, a dream that I crave deeply. I have the heart to go after that dream and continue it. I have it in me still to not shy away from hard work and struggles. In all that....I have a whole heck of a lot.

So, we have decided 100% on the farm. We feel it is the best for us and we love it, we just honestly LOVE that old farm.

I have meetings set up today to go over and finalize paperwork. I have takent he advice of folks here and turned that over to those writing things and I will spare the final details but I will say some of the advice was very useful and I appreciate it dearly. I am getting a good deal on the farm...I feel....and the way it is set up, I am secure, the seller is secure and the payments are fair and not bad at all. I am purchasing the entire 14.75 acres.

So we start anew from here. The thing with Hazel is still looming over our heads. I am going to continue to make my payments to her and continue as is there, while we get the old farm house ready for us to move in. We do plan to sit down this weekend and set a date to call it quits and walk away. I have several options beyond that. I can actually take her to court just for the land payments back as I have cacelled checks and receipts for all of those and no land to show for it. So I have options. But we have to move forward as much as possible. Don is going to plow up a garden space for me in the next few weeks so I can have the garden this year.

I have until the 15th to make my final decision (which is made) and sign the papers to legally get the ball rolling. The proposed closing is April 1st, but we can close sooner if we desire. We will see.

I will continue to post updates here and am not sure if I should end this thread and start a new one or just continue the saga here. I need advice from mods on that I suppose. But regardless....there will now be a non electric farm and I hope to take you all through the adventure with us.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:46 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times
----" the payments are fair and not bad at all "---

That is a big PLUS.

Best Wishes !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee