Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 10:46 AM

8 posts, read 23,849 times

Advertisements

... A few of us are looking to propel what little equity us impulse-challenged boomers have into some relatively cheap land in Tennessee roughly two hours or so from Nashville somewhere in the next few years. We prefer going East but it's not a deal breaker. Can anyone tell use where a good buy might be in terms of aesthetics and price? We love the Cumberland Plateau but am not sure if we can afford it. Everyone has about $5,000 (maybe 10) to spend on an acre or two. So, it will likely, and sadly, need to be a fairly impoverished county. Rest of the equity will go to building small cabins. We are a few single, creative types, so if anyone is looking to come along, are "modestly" emotionally stable, have integrity and a sense of humor, please post back. We need some pickers!! We already have a few really good journalists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 07:57 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
That sounds easily do-able on the Cumberland plateau if you stay away from the developed retirement communities. Why don't you subscribe to some local newspapers to get a feel for real estate prices. Don't pay too much for the land. You'll skew the comps up and local kids won't be able to afford a place of their own.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:23 PM

7,534 posts, read 17,221,758 times
2 hours of Nashville might be toughish, if you were going 2.5 hours you should look at the extreme northern counties in East/Mid TN. Along the KY border. Probably cheapest land in TN.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:45 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Check out Clay and Pickett counties. You might be able to make it to Nashville in a couple of hours, but you can almost certainly find inexpensive land. Those are both very depressed counties economically, but they also happen to be absolutely beautiful.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:16 PM

710 posts, read 1,960,733 times
This sounds very interesting. I'm not a boomer (missed it by two years) and am not really looking to relocate, but I was wondering...what is a 'picker'? Like, a fruit picker? Or is this code for something nefarious? If so, then I'm quite sure we are all listening. But you'll have to be a little less mysterious because, and I speak only for myself, you might be talking to people who are somewhat, shall we say, obtuse.

Good luck with your project. Are you going to build cabins on your land and make a sort of 'aging hipster' commune?

Old 04-15-2008, 09:31 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,659,348 times
Check out The Farm and it's Hippie Museum. A good place to find the information you need for this type of endeavor.
The Farm

Old 04-16-2008, 07:54 AM

7,534 posts, read 17,221,758 times
When I read 'picker' I assumed musician.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:27 PM

2 posts, read 7,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiseal View Post
... A few of us are looking to propel what little equity us impulse-challenged boomers have into some relatively cheap land in Tennessee roughly two hours or so from Nashville somewhere in the next few years. We prefer going East but it's not a deal breaker. Can anyone tell use where a good buy might be in terms of aesthetics and price? We love the Cumberland Plateau but am not sure if we can afford it. Everyone has about $5,000 (maybe 10) to spend on an acre or two. So, it will likely, and sadly, need to be a fairly impoverished county. Rest of the equity will go to building small cabins. We are a few single, creative types, so if anyone is looking to come along, are "modestly" emotionally stable, have integrity and a sense of humor, please post back. We need some pickers!! We already have a few really good journalists.
Yes.There are many great places on the Cumberland Plateau. The amounts you have will work in some pretty good areas. I know the area very well. Would enjoy hearing a liitle more in what you are expecting though. Sounds pretty cool !
Outdoorguy

Old 04-16-2008, 11:35 PM

2 posts, read 7,834 times
Default South East Tenn maybe?

Yes there are many places on the Cumberland. I would be interested though to know more of what you have in mind.One area might fit what you are looking for ? Drop me a note and lets see. I love the area. Lots of hang gliders artist and horse people retiring that way. Post me back if you want to know more. Sounds pretty cool.
Outdoorguy

Old 04-17-2008, 10:54 AM

62 posts, read 206,068 times
Don't move in next to me,I do a lot of target shooting. And sometimes I invite all my rowdy friends over,and then we bring out the BIG Guns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee