Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2006, 10:46 AM

1 posts, read 2,589 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone.
I have been living in Connecticut all my life. I am middle aged, a family man & had a revelation come to me just recently that there are other places to relocate to without dealing with the high cost of living,stress & winter storms. Also places that apparently make you feel at home & become part of their community.
I had talked this over with my spouse & we had decided due to certain family circumstances & money that we would take a leap & move out of Connecticut in our fifties once the time was right. Of course we need to travel first to certain states to get a feel for things, but for now I keep on hearing about Tennesse. I hear it is a beautiful state & Jonesburough is the best community to live in. Can anyone help me with advice about Tennesse. (And I apologize with any mis-spelling).
I have driven down to Florida a while back, my spouse & I both agree that Floridia is not our spot. Its just Tennesse keeps speaking to me in my mind.

Thanks for reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2006, 11:50 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,319,846 times
Hi! Welcome to the City-data forums!
I too am originally form CT (East Haddam area) and now live in N after an 11 year stay in FL. We LOVE TN!
As far as best town" that is all relative. We live only a few miles from Jonesbrough limits and we do like it here, but not everyone likes the same things.
Just read back through these forum pages, that will help you. There are A LOT of great posts from lots of locals with great, informative information about many different areas of TN. If you then have questions, please feel free to list specific questions on this forum, you'll probably get bunches of answers.
Merry Christmas!

Old 12-20-2006, 12:27 PM

661 posts, read 2,896,567 times
Another pair of CT refugees.

My husband and I are both in our fifties. We moved last spring to the Oak Ridge/Clinton area. We were getting tired of the $$ squeeze in CT getting tighter every year. Also, winters and all the cleanup associated were getting to be too much.

So far.......

LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT!!!!!

Old 12-20-2006, 08:25 PM

506 posts, read 1,475,389 times
I like Jonesborough, but if you are from CT and have lived there all your life, Jonesborough may be culture shock. Although I think you would do just fine in Johnson City, which is only 5-10 minutes up the road. J'borough is a very small town, around 5-6,000 I think. It has some great shops downtown and some artsy things, but other than that...nothing else. The good thing is you are near the mountains with plenty of outdoor activities, but also near a fairly big city (Johnson City, around 58,000), and other large communities (Asheville, NC - 73,000 - 1 hour away), (Knoxville, TN - 180,000 - 1.5 hours away).

Jonesborough is also very safe as you would expect a town of 5,000 to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee