Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2019, 07:10 AM

1,056 posts, read 725,806 times

Advertisements

It's just completely ridiculous. If a state has 65 m.p.h. on divided highways and 70 m.p.h. on freeways, they should surely be able to support 60 m.p.h. on at least some of the large, rural two-lane highways. I know about the old, "Police officers in Tennessee won't usually hand out tickets to those speeding by 1-5 m.p.h.," but still. Plus, Minnesota recently enacted legislation to add 60 m.p.h. speed limits on a few of THEIR two-lane roads, and they don't even have 75 m.p.h. freeways/interstates!

After all, it's not a great sign when some of the widest, straightest, flattest two-lane roads (examples I'm familiar with include S.R.-56 from Baxter to Gainesboro and S.R.-96 from Liberty to Murfreesboro) have most people trying to go over 60 m.p.h. with a speed limit of 55 m.p.h.. Often, one person in front going 55-60 is the only thing stopping them. Even I often have to set my cruise control to 58/59, or monitor my speed constantly if it doesn't work, on roads like that to avoid going 65, and I'm very obedient speed-wise...

Then, when I do either of those things, the car in front of me gradually goes too far away for me to see, while cars behind me (unless we're in a passing zone with no one coming the other way) pile up one by one as they're not able to continue/resume their illegal speeds. I also frequently see lines of at least three cars going the other way and few cars in between, presumably for the same reason.

Why don't they do something about this? If they really don't want to add 60 m.p.h. speed limits on an undivided two-lane road, they could:
--convert the bigger ones to 2+1 roads (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2%2B1_road for more information) and reserve high speeds for those,
--add a consistent turning lane to divide these roads (there's a 60 m.p.h. four-lane road near Livingston with a turning lane but no median),
--simply patrol these roads more frequently to scare people into slowing down a bit,
--make a "Super Two" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_two) with a median barrier and some interchanges, reserving higher speeds for these (but not the 70 m.p.h. four-lane freeways have) and perhaps adding one-mile passing lanes every few (maybe 5 or so?) miles,
--or better yet, a combination of the above.

Last edited by Sun Belt-lover L.A.M.; 08-08-2019 at 07:22 AM..

Old 08-08-2019, 04:23 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,244,282 times
I mostly agree with your argument about 60mph on some straight rural roads. That said, most "large rural two-lane highways" you're talking about have plenty of passing zones, especially the "widest, straightest, flattest two-lane roads".

What I have an issue with is people driving slower than average traffic speed bottling up flow and refusing to let people pass.

I've been in both positions. Sometimes I'm not in a hurry or just want to do the speed limit for my own reasons (save gas, usually). If more than 2-3 cars start to stack up behind me or even a single car for more than a few miles I'll find a convenient spot to slow down and let them by. It costs me a few seconds, but may save them several minutes. Plus they're no longer riding my bumper which is safer for me.

I've also been in a hurry and been stuck behind someone just dawdling along who refuses to let me buy. If you aren't in a hurry, and someone behind you is, just be a decent human being and let them by.

Old 08-08-2019, 04:58 PM

2,538 posts, read 1,910,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
I mostly agree with your argument about 60mph on some straight rural roads. That said, most "large rural two-lane highways" you're talking about have plenty of passing zones, especially the "widest, straightest, flattest two-lane roads".

What I have an issue with is people driving slower than average traffic speed bottling up flow and refusing to let people pass.

I've been in both positions. Sometimes I'm not in a hurry or just want to do the speed limit for my own reasons (save gas, usually). If more than 2-3 cars start to stack up behind me or even a single car for more than a few miles I'll find a convenient spot to slow down and let them by. It costs me a few seconds, but may save them several minutes. Plus they're no longer riding my bumper which is safer for me.

I've also been in a hurry and been stuck behind someone just dawdling along who refuses to let me buy. If you aren't in a hurry, and someone behind you is, just be a decent human being and let them by.
I am perfectly happy to let people by me. I pulled over several times last weekend driving Rt 68 from TN to NC to let people pass me. I will admit to poking along quite slowly on the winding areas of that road. I just ask that anyone following me have patience until I reach a place where I can pull over. Don't ride my bumper when you can see I have nowhere to go and there are no safe passing zones. Fortunately, most people seemed to be understanding and for most of the trip there was no one behind me.

Old 08-08-2019, 06:09 PM

Quote:
That's the thing, though. If they're trying to go 65 m.p.h. on a 55 m.p.h. road, while I'm already going almost 60, I refuse to get out of the way regardless of what I think the speed limit should be. However, if it were, say, a 40 m.p.h. road I barely felt comfortable going 30 on, I would certainly let them by, even if I thought the speed limit shouldn't be 40 or even 35.

Every situation is, to some extent, a double-edged sword. I generally try to be courteous and safe, but law is a bigger priority to me when things get mutually exclusive. That's why I think they should adjust the speed limits on roads like that, no matter how many lanes they have, when it gets that far.

Old 08-09-2019, 10:57 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,244,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt-lover L.A.M. View Post
That's the thing, though. If they're trying to go 65 m.p.h. on a 55 m.p.h. road, while I'm already going almost 60, I refuse to get out of the way regardless of what I think the speed limit should be. However, if it were, say, a 40 m.p.h. road I barely felt comfortable going 30 on, I would certainly let them by, even if I thought the speed limit shouldn't be 40 or even 35.

Every situation is, to some extent, a double-edged sword. I generally try to be courteous and safe, but law is a bigger priority to me when things get mutually exclusive. That's why I think they should adjust the speed limits on roads like that, no matter how many lanes they have, when it gets that far.
So in your opinion:
  • You think the speed limit should be higher on roads that can safely handle traffic at that speed;
  • You feel this was an important enough issue to open a new thread on a state discussion forum; AND
  • People blocked behind you who want to safely drive those higher speeds can just suck it because your opinion outweighs theirs and you "refuse to get out of the way".

Got it. You do have the right to be that person, so you be you!

Old 08-09-2019, 11:54 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt-lover L.A.M. View Post
It's just completely ridiculous. If a state has 65 m.p.h. on divided highways and 70 m.p.h. on freeways, they should surely be able to support 60 m.p.h. on at least some of the large, rural two-lane highways. I know about the old, "Police officers in Tennessee won't usually hand out tickets to those speeding by 1-5 m.p.h.," but still. Plus, Minnesota recently enacted legislation to add 60 m.p.h. speed limits on a few of THEIR two-lane roads, and they don't even have 75 m.p.h. freeways/interstates!

After all, it's not a great sign when some of the widest, straightest, flattest two-lane roads (examples I'm familiar with include S.R.-56 from Baxter to Gainesboro and S.R.-96 from Liberty to Murfreesboro) have most people trying to go over 60 m.p.h. with a speed limit of 55 m.p.h.. Often, one person in front going 55-60 is the only thing stopping them. Even I often have to set my cruise control to 58/59, or monitor my speed constantly if it doesn't work, on roads like that to avoid going 65, and I'm very obedient speed-wise...

Then, when I do either of those things, the car in front of me gradually goes too far away for me to see, while cars behind me (unless we're in a passing zone with no one coming the other way) pile up one by one as they're not able to continue/resume their illegal speeds. I also frequently see lines of at least three cars going the other way and few cars in between, presumably for the same reason.

Why don't they do something about this? If they really don't want to add 60 m.p.h. speed limits on an undivided two-lane road, they could:
--convert the bigger ones to 2+1 roads (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2%2B1_road for more information) and reserve high speeds for those,
--add a consistent turning lane to divide these roads (there's a 60 m.p.h. four-lane road near Livingston with a turning lane but no median),
--simply patrol these roads more frequently to scare people into slowing down a bit,
--make a "Super Two" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_two) with a median barrier and some interchanges, reserving higher speeds for these (but not the 70 m.p.h. four-lane freeways have) and perhaps adding one-mile passing lanes every few (maybe 5 or so?) miles,
--or better yet, a combination of the above.
Take it up with your state legislators or city/county council. I'm sure your argument to change the speed limit because in Minnesota.....will take precedence over what council members and engineers deemed was an appropriate speed.

Old 08-09-2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Take it up with your state legislators or city/county council. I'm sure your argument to change the speed limit because in Minnesota.....will take precedence over what council members and engineers deemed was an appropriate speed.
Thanks. I might, but I need to know first: How exactly would I do that? The state would surely overpower the county, I don't live in an incorporated area, and incorporated areas would be highly unlikely to set anything so high anyways. I do have an uncle who's a TDOT worker, but he's not a high-ranking worker (as far as I know), and I'd rather not gamble his job and/or my bond with him.

EDIT: Now, looking at the Speed limits in the U.S. by jurisdiction, Missouri apparently has a similar system for rural two-lane highways to what I think Tennessee should have (and is only 5 mph on some roads from having), and they're one of our neighboring states!

Last edited by Sun Belt-lover L.A.M.; 08-09-2019 at 03:18 PM..

Old 08-09-2019, 05:06 PM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
So in your opinion:
  • You think the speed limit should be higher on roads that can safely handle traffic at that speed;
  • You feel this was an important enough issue to open a new thread on a state discussion forum; AND
  • People blocked behind you who want to safely drive those higher speeds can just suck it because your opinion outweighs theirs and you "refuse to get out of the way".

Got it. You do have the right to be that person, so you be you!
Wait, you take issue with the fact that someone feels that obeying the law takes precedence over their opinion of what a safe speed is? That's messed up.

Old 08-10-2019, 03:49 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
I don't think we need to continue any further with this thread for a variety of reasons including the fact that this is not a chat forum. The thread is now closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee