Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2019, 09:21 AM

46 posts, read 111,933 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I was thinking of making a move to Tennessee. I have lived in Florida for ten years now and it’s getting too congested and impolite for me.

I would love a smaller home or condo near restaurants etc. I have a small dog so dog park close would be nice. I am not politically conservative nor religious so a mixed community would be nice.

A bit of property would be good too. Not huge just enough to barbecue and have space for my dog. I am widowed now so an area with other singles people would be good also.

I have a budget that is flexible.

Thank you in advance for your advice.
Swissmiss
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2019, 05:54 AM

35 posts, read 42,871 times
You probably have to narrow down your desires of a Tennessee location.
Do you want mountains nearby or more flat like FL?
Larger city or smaller? I ask that because you don't want congested, need a better idea of what congested means to you.
An idea of your budget will help to select areas suited to you.

I wonder if a Knoxville suburb would suit you?

Old 11-25-2019, 06:26 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
You will want to be closer to larger cities. Rural areas have often had the same people there for generations and social circles aren't exactly open.

Old 11-25-2019, 07:19 AM

585 posts, read 634,119 times
With your list of preferences, I'd look at something near Nashville.

Old 11-25-2019, 07:45 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,717,731 times
Quote:
What exactly does that mean? Rent? Buy? A number range is much more helpful.

Old 11-25-2019, 11:04 AM

506 posts, read 1,474,414 times
Chattanooga, Knoxville or Nashville based upon social needs & demographics. Even the first 2 may be somewhat questionable there. Nashville is really the only major city that is going to check off all your boxes. It's also very expensive, but it may be similar if you are coming from a major metro in FL like Miami.

Old 11-25-2019, 05:39 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swissmiss05 View Post
Hi,
I was thinking of making a move to Tennessee. I have lived in Florida for ten years now and it’s getting too congested and impolite for me.

I would love a smaller home or condo near restaurants etc. I have a small dog so dog park close would be nice. I am not politically conservative nor religious so a mixed community would be nice.

A bit of property would be good too. Not huge just enough to barbecue and have space for my dog. I am widowed now so an area with other singles people would be good also.

Thank you in advance for your advice.
Swissmiss
My elderly mother (80s) recently moved from Knoxville to downtown Cookeville and loves it. She walks to do most of her errands: library, bank, post office, both her doctors, two different farmers markets, and dry cleaners. She could walk to the grocery store but drives. The other night she walked to the performing arts center for the children's theater's excellent production of High School Musical, and in warmer weather she walks to the outdoor performance pavilion for the symphony, Shakespeare in the Park, and band concerts. There are 30 eateries within easy walking distance of her house. There's not a dog park in downtown Cookeville, but the large downtown park (Dogwood Park) welcomes dogs on leashes. My mom's neighbor even walks her cat on a leash to Dogwood Park.

You didn't specify a budget, nor if you want to rent or buy, but here are samples of homes and condos that have recently sold in downtown Cookeville to give you an idea what it's like:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...70537710_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...41991264_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...41991322_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...41990707_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...41990895_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...41991081_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...2177862_zpid/?
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5...41991340_zpid/

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 11-26-2019, 02:02 AM

Hi
Thanks everyone for your prompt responses. I would prefer a diverse group of people . My budget is up to 5 would like new or newer home or older home in historic area near parks etc. I’m guessing rural areas would be too lonely for me since I want to make new friends and be active .

I am not religious at all so very socially conservative wouldn’t work for me. I am retired now so I would like to work part-time and volunteer.

Thanks again,
L

Old 11-26-2019, 02:04 AM

Oh
I’m in my 50’s if that helps.
Thanks

Old 11-26-2019, 05:31 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,717,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swissmiss05 View Post
Hi
Thanks everyone for your prompt responses. I would prefer a diverse group of people . My budget is up to 5 would like new or newer home or older home in historic area near parks etc. I’m guessing rural areas would be too lonely for me since I want to make new friends and be active .

I am not religious at all so very socially conservative wouldn’t work for me. I am retired now so I would like to work part-time and volunteer.

Thanks again,
L
Nashville for sure. Within the urban core or East Nashville would fit, especially on the not socially conservative less religious and walkable with culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee