Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Looking to move from Pennsylvania to Tennessee, want information on NE Tennessee communities, tri-cities area, pros and cons of living in Tennessee

Old 04-21-2008, 04:14 PM

176 posts, read 650,615 times

Advertisements

We live in NE PA (about 1/2 hr east of Scranton) and generally like the area other than the long, cold winters. We researched areas that were similar to NE PA but with better climates and think the tri-cities region comes close. We've made a few trips to NE TN, and the area looks very similar to NE PA. I could show photos of both places to friends and neighbors, and it would be difficult to pick out which ones were taken from where. Other similarities include cute small towns near small cities, so-so economies, reasonable costs of living (including housing), rural countryside close to the towns and cities, and an absence of zoning, which results in nice newer homes on the same street as mobile homes, and old houses with junk cars in their yards
I'm curious to hear from any ex-Pennsylvanians who've moved to TN, especially the tri-cities, and hear your comments on the pros and cons of TN, as well as contrasts and comparisons to PA, especially NE PA. I'd also like to hear from any PA residents who are thinking of moving to TN or have lived or travelled to there previously. THanks in advance!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 05:47 PM

1,093 posts, read 471,203 times
Cougargm,
What you wrote about the comparison of NE Pennsylvania to NE Tennessee could be said of NW PA as well. We are located directly between Pittsburgh and Erie, lovely country but long cold winters, I hate the weather here. In 3 years we hope to retire to TN. But we are looking at the areas near Knoxville. We want to be nearer a city and have less snow/ warmer temperature than the tri-cities. We visited last summer and plan to go this fall. We love the area and want to visit in all seasons. Knoxville offers many of the things we are looking for...lakes, better weather, cultural events, convenient location to the southeast for easy travel, looks perfect to us, but I worry about the grass being greener syndrome.

I will be interested to read the responses you receive from this thread.

Old 04-21-2008, 06:51 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,131,557 times
Wink Home, sweet, home isn't in just one spot in the US. You can find it in many areas. TN is one of the best ones.

Deborah53 and Cougargm, I don't think you have to worry about the "grass being greener" syndrome. I think you will find exactly what you expect and hope to find in TN.

Cougargm, I grew up in N Central PA, but lived in Mt. Top for several years also. It sounds like you were between Bloomsburg and Berwick. You will find the Tri-Cities area very much like NE or NW or N Central PA, both in the natural splendor and the communities and live-style.

This has been the strong draw for DH and me. I have said many times that when we are in E. TN, we feel like we are home. The folks that we meet and talk to are the same folks I would have met and talked to in Trout Run, PA or Nanticoke or Phillipsburg.

The economy is pretty much the same, as well. It is great to find a home away from home with all of the best that you leave behind and so much more to look forward to in the future. We feel that all we are going to miss, besides family and friends in their igloos, are the brutal winters up there in the PA mts.

But, we can always go to visit if we get homesick for a 3 ft. snowstorm!

Old 04-21-2008, 06:58 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Cougargm, I spent 11 years in Pittsburgh and almost all of the rest of my life (except for 6 years in Texas) in either the Tri Cities or the Knoxville/Maryville region. What specific questions do you have? Feel free to DM me.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:21 AM

1 posts, read 6,281 times
Cool pa/tennessee

lived both places....im between pittsburgh and erie also.....i lived in maynardville........all i have to say is....NICE PLACE TO VISIT...DIDNT LIKE LIVING THEIR.....

Old 04-24-2008, 11:59 AM

451 posts, read 1,371,345 times
Don't forget to factor in the slow Southern lifestyle. Things just seem much more relaxed here than other places. Which is a Good Thing..... as Martha S. would say....lol

Old 09-02-2008, 07:33 AM

12 posts, read 36,746 times
Listen, I grew up in Philly and lived in NE PA also during my college years. The Knoxville area sounds like an exact fit for what you are looking for. Especially the northern suburbs of Knoxville, close to the nicest and cleanest lake out here, Norris Lake. Here the property is cheapest and has a lot of room to grow. You would fit in well with the people here, but also get the quiet you are looking for.

Knoxville is going through some huge growth and getting ready to BOOM!!! The downtown area is becoming more cultered as well as being revitalized with the property values having increased by 300 % over the last 10 years. There is a rebirth of the city, especially the loft style apartments.

We live in Maynardville, about 20 minutes north of Knoxville. It takes us 40 minutes to get downtown and catch a show, or just walk the city and take in Market Square. Incredibly safe place to live. Very low crime rate and great people. There is a small homeless pop., but they are very well fed and housed by a plethera of shelters run by the various and many community based organizations here.

There is no shortage of churches or civic groups. As for me and my family, we love where we live, not to mention that the property value in Maynardville is expected to double in the next 7 years. As a retiree, this makes a lot of sense when you think of possibly a reverse mortgage or home equity loans as we all know you can't take it with you.

If you bought a house for 150K like we did, you would get a brand new house, cape cod or colonial or rancher, @ 1800 sq ft. on an acre of land, easy to maintain with wood floors, designer paint, 4 br, 2 1/2 bath.... deck and covered front porch. This same house will sell for 250 - 300K in 7 years, which means if you reverse mortgage you would rercieve @ 2K a payment for your house until you die, and of course have no mortgage payment. I'm sure you have some other income, either retirement or SS. You would be able to live large and travel or buy some cattle or horses or do whatever you would like and have no financial worries. Oh... and your taxes would be @ 350/ year. Cost of living is also dirt cheap...... Gas today 3.42/ gallon
Milk today, just bought a gallon ... 2.99/ gallon, not 1/2 gallon!!!

Look at Maynardville, Luttrell, sharps chapel, or corryton

These are very nice areas and the Grainger county tomatoes are almost as good as Jerseys

Old 09-03-2008, 07:15 PM

98 posts, read 434,325 times
Cougargm:

We are from NE Pa also about 1 hr south east of Scranton near Jim Thorpe.
Hubby and I are looking to move out of the area when he retires(in 2-3 years).

Our main grip is R.E.taxes have sky rocketed here and Gov Rendell's Slots Tax reform has done nothing to control the problem. We are now paying $6,000 in R.E. Tax's on the home we built in 1995 for $160.000.

So we are looking to move out of PA!
Delaware had been our focus but I have not found anything affordable with land. We are looking in the $300-$400 thousand area. I would like at least 2 acres of land- even more in my price area.

I have been thinking TN and I saw your post-My brother traveled through Tn state last year and said it was just beautiful. I am a county girl and need to be away from people and enjoying the outdoors with my dogs -I love my privicy-BUT I also love to dress up and go to the City(maybe once a month maybe more to shop and see a show or enjoy a decent dinner and cultural events ,etc.) .
SO Delware seems to be a No and Tn is a Bigger Possibility.

I would like to hear more about what areas would be a possibility as we do plan to travel and explore Tn.

Keep in touch.

Old 09-07-2008, 11:03 AM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
795 posts, read 2,803,633 times
I live in the SW PA area, about 40 miles north of Pittsburgh. We're thinking of moving to Central TN in about 5 years. We were hoping for sooner, but doubtful that will happen, but ya never know! DH is getting tired of the cold winters, shovelling and snowblowing the driveway.

I like the areas between Nashville and Knoxville. Between Cookeville area, to Lebanon, and above to the KY state line in particular. I also like the Oak Ridge area, from reading all of Laura's posts.

I've travelled thru and visited various parts of TN thru the years, love the state, the people, the friendliness and the general atmosphere of home. I've been to Chattanooga, and Memphis. Have yet to visit Nashville.

blessings to you, Shen

Old 04-24-2009, 01:04 AM

5 posts, read 31,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougargm View Post
We live in NE PA (about 1/2 hr east of Scranton) and generally like the area other than the long, cold winters. We researched areas that were similar to NE PA but with better climates and think the tri-cities region comes close. We've made a few trips to NE TN, and the area looks very similar to NE PA. I could show photos of both places to friends and neighbors, and it would be difficult to pick out which ones were taken from where. Other similarities include cute small towns near small cities, so-so economies, reasonable costs of living (including housing), rural countryside close to the towns and cities, and an absence of zoning, which results in nice newer homes on the same street as mobile homes, and old houses with junk cars in their yards
I'm curious to hear from any ex-Pennsylvanians who've moved to TN, especially the tri-cities, and hear your comments on the pros and cons of TN, as well as contrasts and comparisons to PA, especially NE PA. I'd also like to hear from any PA residents who are thinking of moving to TN or have lived or travelled to there previously. THanks in advance!
Well I fell in love with the Rogersville area about 10 years ago. It has a small town feel and yet is the county seat. I lived in the Phila. suburbs for the first 49 years of my life. i moved to NE TEnn. a little less than 2 years ago. The winters are comprable to the Phila. region, the summers also are comprable for daytime highs, the nights are pleasant with temps in the middle 50's. The only real adjustment I had was that in Eastern PA where I was born and grew up, the sun rises about an hour earlier no matter what time of the year, so the later sun rise was an adjustment to make, but I sure like having daylight till 9or 9:30 in the summertime, down here.

The traffic is too hecktic for me up around the Tri cities area. Rogersville is 38 miles South along 11 W but feels like a world away. If I wanted that kind of hustle and bustle, I would have stayed up north.

As to southerners accepting us transplants-the ones born here are skeptical, but thru truth and hard work, you will win over anybody worth having as a friend. Northeastern TN is full of other transplants from all over the place. Rogersville, Kingsport, Johnson city are all eclectic places that are fairly open and accepting with a great artist community and have plenty of things to see and do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee