U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 07-02-2020, 09:05 AM
 
Location: A Yankee in northeast TN
12,885 posts, read 16,426,545 times
Reputation: 31246

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Oh I was just curious. With an at risk wife I think I'll avoid an area where a cashier coughs with no mask or even covering her mouth. No we need to avoid an area with so many with that mindset. Too bad, I was thinking about another trip this summer/fall.
I totally understand. Kind of waiting to see where this goes now that things are starting to look a little more serious. Mask sales at work are up, maybe that's an encouraging sign of things to come.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 07-02-2020, 09:26 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
29,414 posts, read 22,295,813 times
Reputation: 36476
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Oh I was just curious. With an at risk wife I think I'll avoid an area where a cashier coughs with no mask or even covering her mouth. No we need to avoid an area with so many with that mindset. Too bad, I was thinking about another trip this summer/fall.
Knox County now has a mandatory mask policy that was announced yesterday.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-02-2020, 05:37 PM
JRR
 
Location: Middle Tennessee
5,513 posts, read 3,213,596 times
Reputation: 9064
Today was my usual grocery pick up day for Kroger. Stopped by CVS on the way to pick something up. I had a mask on and of course the employees were masked. Pepsi delivery guy; no mask. Four other customers in the store and only one had a mask on. On the way out passed another coming in with no mask. People around here just don't get it. Meanwhile our number of cases is the highest by far in the Upper Cumberland area. I guess it will take another shutdown to get the attention of some folks.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-03-2020, 10:24 AM
 
Location: Somewhere below Mason/Dixon
8,117 posts, read 8,627,753 times
Reputation: 13448
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Today was my usual grocery pick up day for Kroger. Stopped by CVS on the way to pick something up. I had a mask on and of course the employees were masked. Pepsi delivery guy; no mask. Four other customers in the store and only one had a mask on. On the way out passed another coming in with no mask. People around here just don't get it. Meanwhile our number of cases is the highest by far in the Upper Cumberland area. I guess it will take another shutdown to get the attention of some folks.
You cannot change the absolute fact that Tennessee is a red state. It has been shown that how one feels about the virus tends to be related to their politics. Many conservatives see the virus panic as a overreaction intended to aid liberals in November. Many see it as a total hoax. This may not be true, you may not like it but yet still ALOT of people feel that way. Those people will not wear masks. Those people will not respect any future stay at home orders. If more lockdowns come those people will take to the streets and protest as they did before. There are too many people who are in opposition to the coronavirus restrictions for any of them to work. The state and federal government failed to convince the public that this threat rises to that level. Sadly the virus is just another example of how our country does not have the ability to work anymore. We can’t agree on the shade of blue in the sky let alone be able to respond to something like this.

The good thing about more cases however is the fact that we are now closer to herd immunity. Herd immunity is the only way this will end. There is no better chance of stopping coronavirus than there is the common cold. It spreads too easily. Short of locking 300 million Americans in their homes for a year until a vaccine is found, herd immunity is the only way. Each infection is one closer to herd immunity.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-04-2020, 12:02 AM
JRR
 
Location: Middle Tennessee
5,513 posts, read 3,213,596 times
Reputation: 9064
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
You cannot change the absolute fact that Tennessee is a red state. It has been shown that how one feels about the virus tends to be related to their politics. Many conservatives see the virus panic as a overreaction intended to aid liberals in November. Many see it as a total hoax. This may not be true, you may not like it but yet still ALOT of people feel that way. Those people will not wear masks. Those people will not respect any future stay at home orders. If more lockdowns come those people will take to the streets and protest as they did before. There are too many people who are in opposition to the coronavirus restrictions for any of them to work. The state and federal government failed to convince the public that this threat rises to that level. Sadly the virus is just another example of how our country does not have the ability to work anymore. We can’t agree on the shade of blue in the sky let alone be able to respond to something like this.

The good thing about more cases however is the fact that we are now closer to herd immunity. Herd immunity is the only way this will end. There is no better chance of stopping coronavirus than there is the common cold. It spreads too easily. Short of locking 300 million Americans in their homes for a year until a vaccine is found, herd immunity is the only way. Each infection is one closer to herd immunity.
Herd immunity is a nice idea. But it would take 70% of the population to achieve it and so far we are around 3% of the population confirmed as infected. Plus there is no solid evidence as to how long a person would stay immune. So banking on that might be a bit of a long shot. Even an eventual vaccine might not be a panacea because if enough people resist being vaccinated, we still would not reach herd immunity.

But you are right that a substantial part of the population looks on the virus as a hoax or an overreaction through the lens of politics. So it is going to be a long, painful slog to get back to any semblance of normal. And simply declaring the state open for business isn't necessarily going to make it happen. There is no wishing the virus away or a switch to flip to make it gone.

We have had our chance to work together to get through this but many people have chosen a different path. We truly are our own worst enemy

Last edited by JRR; 07-04-2020 at 12:33 AM..
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-04-2020, 04:27 PM
 
Location: Jonesborough, TN
697 posts, read 1,295,106 times
Reputation: 729
Some of this is the cost of having a federalism government. These decisions are made at the local and state level, and bound by constitutional rules limiting government power. The increase in liberty and the decentralized decision making means that a national lockdown is not really possible. Just speaking for myself, I am fine with this trade off as I would not favor giving higher levels of government increased power for the sake of safety.

Everyone is looking for someone to blame, and we have nobody to blame but ourselves. Go to any vacation area and you will see that they are packed. We all know the risks and many are willing to take the risks. If that is what the people want, the government shouldn't be in a position to mandate closures, etc.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-04-2020, 05:23 PM
JRR
 
Location: Middle Tennessee
5,513 posts, read 3,213,596 times
Reputation: 9064
If people could go to the beach etc., get the virus and come back home and it went no further than that person only, I would be very happy to say "Have fun as you alone will pay the consequences"!

But unfortunately, the virus doesn't work like that.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-06-2020, 10:46 AM
 
Location: Mount Airy, Maryland
13,297 posts, read 7,390,015 times
Reputation: 20820
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
Here is the Nashville specific plan: https://www.asafenashville.org/roadm...ing-nashville/
Thanks for this. Obviously I am pro-mask but the mandate for Nashville that they must be worn as soon as you leave the house is crazy. I see people jogging or walking alone on a sidewalk with a mask and it makes no sense to have to do that. But I guess it's better than no masks at all which is still an ongoing issue in Tennessee.

As for herd immunity JRR is correct, it would require 70% infection rate and obviously with that many cases the death totals will soar to unimaginable figures. Are we really going to sacrifice that many loved ones just to develop herd immunity?

No to me it's pretty simple. Look at Tokyo, South Korea and other places where the population behaved responsibly, then compare it to what is happening in our country.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-06-2020, 01:03 PM
JRR
 
Location: Middle Tennessee
5,513 posts, read 3,213,596 times
Reputation: 9064
[quote=DaveinMtAiry;58569006]Thanks for this. Obviously I am pro-mask but the mandate for Nashville that they must be worn as soon as you leave the house is crazy. I see people jogging or walking alone on a sidewalk with a mask and it makes no sense to have to do that. But I guess it's better than no masks at all which is still an ongoing issue in Tennessee.

As for herd immunity JRR is correct, it would require 70% infection rate and obviously with that many cases the death totals will soar to unimaginable figures. Are we really going to sacrifice that many loved ones just to develop herd immunity?

No to me it's pretty simple. Look at Tokyo, South Korea and other places where the population behaved responsibly, then compare it to what is happening in our country.[/QUOTE]

The outlook for this situation is pretty discouraging when you have leadership people going on TV saying that 99% of the virus cases are totally harmless. The road to the end will not be a pretty one.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-06-2020, 05:00 PM
 
3,806 posts, read 3,607,219 times
Reputation: 5872
Quote:
Thanks for this. Obviously I am pro-mask but the mandate for Nashville that they must be worn as soon as you leave the house is crazy. I see people jogging or walking alone on a sidewalk with a mask and it makes no sense to have to do that. But I guess it's better than no masks at all which is still an ongoing issue in Tennessee.

You're welcome.


It's a mixed bag in my neighbor re walker/joggers - some do wear it and some don't. Most people I know do at least take one with them and have it with them out walking. I went and rode my bike Saturday and didn't wear one, though I had it available.


I also drove down Broadway Sunday afternoon and it was probably 80/20 no masks/masks on the people walking around.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top