U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2020, 05:15 PM

918 posts, read 1,014,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Thanks for this. Obviously I am pro-mask but the mandate for Nashville that they must be worn as soon as you leave the house is crazy. I see people jogging or walking alone on a sidewalk with a mask and it makes no sense to have to do that. But I guess it's better than no masks at all which is still an ongoing issue in Tennessee.

As for herd immunity JRR is correct, it would require 70% infection rate and obviously with that many cases the death totals will soar to unimaginable figures. Are we really going to sacrifice that many loved ones just to develop herd immunity?

No to me it's pretty simple. Look at Tokyo, South Korea and other places where the population behaved responsibly, then compare it to what is happening in our country.
Per the order mask wearing is not required in the following situations:
  • In outdoor public spaces unless maintaining a physical distance of six feet from persons who are not members of the same household or residence is not feasible;
  • While engaged in outdoor work or recreation, such as swimming, walking, hiking, bicycling, or running, unless maintaining a physical distance of six feet from persons who are not members of the same household or residence is not feasible

So as long as you can keep 6 feet between yourself and others, you don't need a mask outside. Just make sure you keep one with you in case you approach a crowd that you can't avoid.
Rate this post positively

Old 07-06-2020, 06:29 PM

1,952 posts, read 735,557 times
I'm in Nashville today. Many are wearing masks outside, and many aren't. 50/50

People are wearing masks going into restaurants, etc., and then they're removing them.

Old 07-07-2020, 08:22 AM

13,247 posts, read 7,347,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattec View Post
Per the order mask wearing is not required in the following situations:
  • In outdoor public spaces unless maintaining a physical distance of six feet from persons who are not members of the same household or residence is not feasible;
  • While engaged in outdoor work or recreation, such as swimming, walking, hiking, bicycling, or running, unless maintaining a physical distance of six feet from persons who are not members of the same household or residence is not feasible

So as long as you can keep 6 feet between yourself and others, you don't need a mask outside. Just make sure you keep one with you in case you approach a crowd that you can't avoid.
Thanks for the clarification, the original link only said they were required any time you left the house and that's crazy. I never saw a reason to wear one walking down the road, I laugh when I see someone driving with one on. What Bamaman described is how it should be done, wear it when you enter and take it off when you leave. Pretty simple. Glad to hear Nashville is requiring them, what about other Tennessee cities?

I know enough to avoid this topic but yeah the comment that 99% off all cases are harmless is just so terribly irresponsible and factually incorrect.

Old 07-07-2020, 08:45 AM

29,334 posts, read 22,161,829 times
Quote:
Thanks for the clarification, the original link only said they were required any time you left the house and that's crazy. I never saw a reason to wear one walking down the road, I laugh when I see someone driving with one on. What Bamaman described is how it should be done, wear it when you enter and take it off when you leave. Pretty simple. Glad to hear Nashville is requiring them, what about other Tennessee cities?

I know enough to avoid this topic but yeah the comment that 99% off all cases are harmless is just so terribly irresponsible and factually incorrect.
I know Knoxville and Chattanooga both are over the last week or so. Masks are still pretty uncommon where I am, and are not mandatory. Probably 75% of people at a Walmart will not be masked.

Old 07-07-2020, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I know Knoxville and Chattanooga both are over the last week or so. Masks are still pretty uncommon where I am, and are not mandatory. Probably 75% of people at a Walmart will not be masked.
Yeah it should be obvious that without a mandate there won't be much compliance in Tennessee, and even with one there will be those who refuse to wear them. Just wondering how long places like Knoxville will wait to impose a mandate, or if they will even do it at all.

Old 07-07-2020, 03:06 PM

8,079 posts, read 8,586,796 times
Quote:
Yeah it should be obvious that without a mandate there won't be much compliance in Tennessee, and even with one there will be those who refuse to wear them. Just wondering how long places like Knoxville will wait to impose a mandate, or if they will even do it at all.
Knox county does have one. Yes compliance will be difficult as much of the population disagrees with their mandatory use. This conflict between mask wearers and non mask wearers has played out around the country, especially in red states like Tennessee.

Old 07-07-2020, 05:43 PM

I will never understand how somebody can actually believe their "rights" gives them the right to put those around them at a higher risk.

Old 07-07-2020, 11:59 PM

8,079 posts, read 8,586,796 times
Quote:
I will never understand how somebody can actually believe their "rights" gives them the right to put those around them at a higher risk.
If everyone actually agreed that mask wearing or staying at home was necessary to protect others you wouldn’t see this conflict. Those who believe the virus is the next Black Death have failed to convince at least half the population that the threat is that serious. These people defying coronavirus restrictions and guidelines are not seeing themselves put others at risk, they have not been convinced that this is a threat which rises to the level of draconian restrictions upon personal liberty. Most people don’t even know anyone who had covid. 99 percent of covid infections are not that bad. Less than 1% die.

Much of the population is not convinced. Until they are convinced nothing will change and people will continue the mass defiance. The argument for mass shutdowns, mass mask mandates and invasive contact tracing is weak. The damage done to our economy and society by all this is already too great. Many defiant people are angry about the economic damage and their defiance against mask wearing has become a political statement about the coronavirus and the government response to it. No policy is going to work with the country so divided on the issue.

A large chunk of the population looks to want to just face this and let nature happen. It’s worth noting that we are not seeing millions dead in the third world where no social distancing is taking place. I think there is a certain population that is really at risk. ( very sick people, immune compromised people) Our efforts should be geared towards isolating the extremely vulnerable and away from the young.

Old 07-08-2020, 01:48 AM
JRR

5,492 posts, read 3,189,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
If everyone actually agreed that mask wearing or staying at home was necessary to protect others you wouldn’t see this conflict. Those who believe the virus is the next Black Death have failed to convince at least half the population that the threat is that serious. These people defying coronavirus restrictions and guidelines are not seeing themselves put others at risk, they have not been convinced that this is a threat which rises to the level of draconian restrictions upon personal liberty. Most people don’t even know anyone who had covid. 99 percent of covid infections are not that bad. Less than 1% die.

Much of the population is not convinced. Until they are convinced nothing will change and people will continue the mass defiance. The argument for mass shutdowns, mass mask mandates and invasive contact tracing is weak. The damage done to our economy and society by all this is already too great. Many defiant people are angry about the economic damage and their defiance against mask wearing has become a political statement about the coronavirus and the government response to it. No policy is going to work with the country so divided on the issue.

A large chunk of the population looks to want to just face this and let nature happen. It’s worth noting that we are not seeing millions dead in the third world where no social distancing is taking place. I think there is a certain population that is really at risk. ( very sick people, immune compromised people) Our efforts should be geared towards isolating the extremely vulnerable and away from the young.
Could I ask where you got the information that 99 percent of the virus infections are not that bad?

Old 07-08-2020, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Could I ask where you got the information that 99 percent of the virus infections are not that bad?
Not sure how I can answer this without making it political, I'll just say a man who lives in Washington made this claim recently and now his followers are repeating it even though it's simply not true. As a follow up that poster also said "most people don't even know anyone who had COVID". Well I do, he nearly lost his life and even though he survived and is not one of the 130,000 who have died if you heard his words as he described the experience that lasted for over a month you will understand how frustrating it is to hear posters claim this is not that big of a deal. You don't have to die for this to be a major event. It is also simply not true that at least half the country shares his/her views on the topic. Just more false information being posted. A recent Harris poll said 60% of Americans aren't ready to dine out yet. https://theharrispoll.com/poll-finds...mass-closures/ Staying on topic as this is a Tennessee board obviously those figures will be different down there.

And of course the bigger issue is their selfish behavior puts others around them at risk. Last time I checked their "rights" do not give them the right to put at risk citizens at further risk as they pretend to know more than the medical experts who have strongly recommended masks and distancing.

Last edited by DaveinMtAiry; 07-08-2020 at 10:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee