U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2020, 03:35 PM
JRR

5,513 posts, read 3,213,596 times

Advertisements

I looked at the facebook page for our mayor, who is asking everyone to wear masks. So many of the posts by the public there are astounding in their misinformation and ignorance. No wonder our cases keep increasing.

Everyone wants the economy to get back to where it was. It all seems so darn simple. Wear a mask and distance and get the number of cases down to where things can be safely opened up. But we have a large segment that does not seem really interested in helping get the businesses of their friends and family back toward normal; not to mention helping to keep more people from becoming ill. They don't seem to care how long this drags on. They are more interested in going on and on about their freedom to not wear a mask". As if wearing a mask in certain situations is a horrible life changing experience.

At this rate, it is going to be a real eye opening mess when schools start up in a month or so. I wonder if Bill Lee wakes up every morning wondering why the heck he ever wanted to be governor.

2472 new cases for Tennessee today.
Rate this post positively

Old 07-10-2020, 05:00 PM
JRR

5,513 posts, read 3,213,596 times
Cookeville Regional Medical Center has announced that they are going to suspend doing any elective surgery that requires an overnight stay. This is due to the big jump in the number of hospitalizations here due to the virus.

Once again, the head of the hospital is asking the general population to please wear masks to help slow the spread. But that seems to continue to fall on so many deaf ears.

Old 07-10-2020, 05:24 PM

29,414 posts, read 22,295,813 times
Sullivan County now has a mandatory mask order. Johnson City Medical Center now has a full COVID ward

Old 07-11-2020, 07:16 AM

13,297 posts, read 7,390,015 times
Glad to hear they issued the order but what about compliance? Seems that will be the bigger issue.

You are were we were in April. I wouldn't say it's over here with the question of schools still there but other than that it's close to over. Our numbers continue to drop, restaurants, gyms, day care etc are now open. But then again we have had basically full compliance with masks and distancing and Tennessee does not so be prepared for this to be there for much longer. I'm so sorry.

Old 07-12-2020, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Glad to hear they issued the order but what about compliance? Seems that will be the bigger issue.

You are were we were in April. I wouldn't say it's over here with the question of schools still there but other than that it's close to over. Our numbers continue to drop, restaurants, gyms, day care etc are now open. But then again we have had basically full compliance with masks and distancing and Tennessee does not so be prepared for this to be there for much longer. I'm so sorry.
Numbers are going up dramatically.

The Sullivan County mayor has said they "aren't going to enforce the mask order." It's basically just political CYA. Local news stations Facebook comments were all up in arms. He'll probably lose the election over this.

I've always said that if the virus "gets here," this area is screwed. My dad hurt his foot mowing Friday. He went to an orthopaedic clinic yesterday, and none of the staff (including the doctor) were masked. My uncle spent a week near Miami a couple weeks back, then had a garage sale with his ex-wife last weekend. Who knows how many people he interacted with. He's part of the no mask, no distancing crowd.

It's just not taken seriously here.

Old 07-17-2020, 11:48 AM

Can't wait to see the reaction if (more like when) the SEC cancels football.

Old 07-17-2020, 05:44 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,231,481 times
This link is for those who think the Covid19 crisis is not real. I would imagine the numbers & chart(s) Phil Williams of Channel 5 presents can easily be verified thru the TN Hospital Association.

It shows, as of now, the entire state of TN only has 326 (16%) ICU beds available statewide .

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/ne...et-new-records

If anyone who believes in the political hype theory has legitimate statistics (blogs don’t count as legitimate), please provide links, so the rest of us can be equally as knowledgeable

Of course the politicians are going to jump on this like white on rice; this is an election year when everyone speaks “with forked tongue”. However, numbers do not lie.

Old 07-18-2020, 06:01 AM

Here in Bristol, two restaurants are now closed at least until Tuesday after staff came up positive. Neither restaurant adhered to distancing guidelines - one has had full seating at the bar like normal for at least a month now. The one that allowed the bar seating also had maskless staff. Another couple of places I’ve been have had maskless staff and customers and people testing positive.

The Sullivan County Republican Party held an event Thursday night that was indoors, large dinner, no masks, no distancing, lots of shaking hands and group pictures.

Meanwhile, the COVID ward at our largest hospital locally is full and capacity is being brought online at additional hospitals. Any sort of infection prevention post on the local Facebook news station feeds gets more laugh emotes than anything else.

Until a large amount of locals start having people they know get very sick, I don’t think anything else is going to change the minds of many Tennesseans.

Old 07-18-2020, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Here in Bristol, two restaurants are now closed at least until Tuesday after staff came up positive. Neither restaurant adhered to distancing guidelines - one has had full seating at the bar like normal for at least a month now. The one that allowed the bar seating also had maskless staff. Another couple of places I’ve been have had maskless staff and customers and people testing positive.

The Sullivan County Republican Party held an event Thursday night that was indoors, large dinner, no masks, no distancing, lots of shaking hands and group pictures.

Meanwhile, the COVID ward at our largest hospital locally is full and capacity is being brought online at additional hospitals. Any sort of infection prevention post on the local Facebook news station feeds gets more laugh emotes than anything else.

Until a large amount of locals start having people they know get very sick, I don’t think anything else is going to change the minds of many Tennesseans.
This entire thing is just so bizarre. We have one group in our country who sees the virus one way, it's just an infection, and it's not just in Tennesssee. Then we have the majority of Americans and literally every other person on Earth seeing it another way, a serious threat that can be mitigated to some extent with a change in behavior.

Yet the first group insists they are right and everyone else in the world is wrong. I never thought I would see this about a virus that does not discriminate with its victims.

Last edited by DaveinMtAiry; 07-18-2020 at 08:55 AM..

Old 07-18-2020, 09:55 AM

8,117 posts, read 8,627,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
This entire thing is just so bizarre. We have one group in our country who sees the virus one way, it's just an infection, and it's not just in Tennesssee. Then we have the majority of Americans and literally every other person on Earth seeing it another way, a serious threat that can be mitigated to some extent with a change in behavior.

Yet the first group insists they are right and everyone else in the world is wrong. I never thought I would see this about a virus that does not discriminate with its victims.
I think you are mistaken if you think that those who see this as an overreaction or even a fraud are in the minority in Tennessee. (Or any red state) If everyone believes in the coronavirus hype and it’s restrictions we should be seeing most people wearing masks, even in places where someone is not actively making them put it on. I see most people still not wearing them. I hear many people openly complain about all of this.

It seems a minority of nervous reactionaries are controlling the narrative on this. The liberal media literally started the panic in March and they are now telling us most people support the restrictions and mask wearing. THEY have done polls on it and we know their world is good LOL. Why is it that ones politics tends to define how they see the virus? Are viruses political? If they are then coronavirus is a registered Democrat. It is no shock to me that this recent outbreak would be in the red states. Because we reopened against the wishes of the screaming lockdown crowd the media ensures that we red staters would be the epicenter of the big post reopening outbreak. They control the narrative.

Five months into a so called deadly pandemic I still know NO ONE who got the virus. I’m not saying it’s not out there but this is definitely not what it has built up too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee