U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2020, 09:57 AM

8,102 posts, read 8,611,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Can't wait to see the reaction if (more like when) the SEC cancels football.
Yes the folks telling us what to do have enjoyed taking things from us. They will take special joy in taking this from us too.
Rate this post positively

Old 07-18-2020, 12:41 PM

29,378 posts, read 22,241,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I think you are mistaken if you think that those who see this as an overreaction or even a fraud are in the minority in Tennessee. (Or any red state) If everyone believes in the coronavirus hype and it’s restrictions we should be seeing most people wearing masks, even in places where someone is not actively making them put it on. I see most people still not wearing them. I hear many people openly complain about all of this.

It seems a minority of nervous reactionaries are controlling the narrative on this. The liberal media literally started the panic in March and they are now telling us most people support the restrictions and mask wearing. THEY have done polls on it and we know their world is good LOL. Why is it that ones politics tends to define how they see the virus? Are viruses political? If they are then coronavirus is a registered Democrat. It is no shock to me that this recent outbreak would be in the red states. Because we reopened against the wishes of the screaming lockdown crowd the media ensures that we red staters would be the epicenter of the big post reopening outbreak. They control the narrative.

Five months into a so called deadly pandemic I still know NO ONE who got the virus. I’m not saying it’s not out there but this is definitely not what it has built up too.
The virus is where it is. Right now, that’s mostly in the red states.

What gets me in my local area is that basic public health measure aren’t followed by most of the public. People just don’t care. Local officials just put in a “mask order,” but they’re “not going to enforce it.” It is nothing more than political posturing to save face.

Meanwhile, restaurants and other local businesses largely ignore what guidance is out there. I wouldn’t be surprised if there is an outbreak tied to one of the restaurants I mentioned that is no mask, no distancing.

Seeing political candidates and former lieutenant governor Ron Ramsey at a large, maskless, backslapping social event sends the wrong message.

Old 07-18-2020, 01:19 PM

13,262 posts, read 7,371,432 times
Quote:
I think you are mistaken if you think that those who see this as an overreaction or even a fraud are in the minority in Tennessee. (Or any red state) If everyone believes in the coronavirus hype and it’s restrictions we should be seeing most people wearing masks, even in places where someone is not actively making them put it on. I see most people still not wearing them. I hear many people openly complain about all of this.

It seems a minority of nervous reactionaries are controlling the narrative on this. The liberal media literally started the panic in March and they are now telling us most people support the restrictions and mask wearing. THEY have done polls on it and we know their world is good LOL. Why is it that ones politics tends to define how they see the virus? Are viruses political? If they are then coronavirus is a registered Democrat. It is no shock to me that this recent outbreak would be in the red states. Because we reopened against the wishes of the screaming lockdown crowd the media ensures that we red staters would be the epicenter of the big post reopening outbreak. They control the narrative.

Five months into a so called deadly pandemic I still know NO ONE who got the virus. I’m not saying it’s not out there but this is definitely not what it has built up too.
Oh I'm not mistaken, I am well aware of the attitude in Tennessee as it has been discussed at length here. I'm also well aware that this is the attitude in other red states, that's what I meant by "not just in Tennessee".

My point is the rest of the country, and more importantly the rest of the entire world, does not share your views. I think this is important to point out, we are not the group holding the minority opinion. That would be your group and by a large margin. And of course the most frustrating part is those who can help be part of the solution remain the biggest obstacle in us getting this behind us.

You do not know someone who has had it because the outbreak is relatively new down there. I do know someone who got sick, he was in really bad shape for a month yet he survived and was not even hospitalized so he is not part of those stats. But if you heard his words you would understand just how serious this is, and again he was not even hospitalized.

Last edited by DaveinMtAiry; 07-18-2020 at 01:35 PM..

Old 07-18-2020, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Yes the folks telling us what to do have enjoyed taking things from us. They will take special joy in taking this from us too.
Why in the world would the SEC take joy in cancelling the season? Why would Governors purposely damage their economy by closing things down? Was that for their amusement as well?

Old 07-18-2020, 02:01 PM

697 posts, read 1,294,331 times
Serious Conversation- just an observation: The mask mandates do increase the number of people who wear masks. Just like the stay at home order did decrease the number of people travelling around. In both cases, it's an enforcement nightmare and I personally would prefer these types of informal types of social control as opposed to formal means such as citations, fines, arrests, etc. With the symbolic mask mandates and corporations who are making mask wearing mandatory in their stores, the end result largely is the same as those with punitive methods. As you mentioned, the area in which we live has less masks than other parts of the country, but that is more reflective of the public attitude than whether the enforcement of mask mandates is formal or not.

Old 07-18-2020, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchometeam View Post
Serious Conversation- just an observation: The mask mandates do increase the number of people who wear masks. Just like the stay at home order did decrease the number of people travelling around. In both cases, it's an enforcement nightmare and I personally would prefer these types of informal types of social control as opposed to formal means such as citations, fines, arrests, etc. With the symbolic mask mandates and corporations who are making mask wearing mandatory in their stores, the end result largely is the same as those with punitive methods. As you mentioned, the area in which we live has less masks than other parts of the country, but that is more reflective of the public attitude than whether the enforcement of mask mandates is formal or not.

I'll let SC respond but I have to say without laws and ramifications for violators there will be little compliance in Tennessee as well as other states. Sure some will wear masks but some is not enough, we need full compliance to make a real difference and it does not appear to be possible in Tennessee and those other areas without actual laws in place and fines for violators. It's no different than smoking laws or seat belt laws for that matter. They were laws enacted for public safety, was there this much push back when they banned smoking in stores? Did people complain about their rights? Did they provide videos from rogue doctors claiming second hand smoke is not bad for you? How this is any different is beyond me.

Old 07-18-2020, 02:35 PM
JRR

5,505 posts, read 3,206,343 times
Quote:
I wish our leaders here would issue a mask mandate. But they are trying to walk the tightrope of doing what they know is right vs angering a lot of people. So they deal in platitudes. They recommend that people wear masks and social distance as a courtesy to their fellow citizens. But they also want it to be a choice and not an order as there is the personal freedom thing.

So the attitude here for so many people is that the virus is not a problem and they are not concerned about it. Even though we have more cases than any of the surrounding counties.

Old 07-18-2020, 02:47 PM

697 posts, read 1,294,331 times
The answer to your question about smoking and seat belts were yes- absolutely. The pushback on smoking laws was substantial. As far as seat belts, compliance in Tennessee, 16 years after TN changed the law to allow a law enforcement officer to pull someone over based solely on a seat belt violation, is only 90%.

I study, teach, and have published books related to this type of stuff for a living. Formal enforcement is only so effective when the public doesn't support it unless you get really draconian in your enforcement efforts and thus intentionally take law enforcement efforts away from other areas. There are various unintentional consequences to going that route.

Although we don't have any studies to prove it since this is a new phenomenon, I would suggest that the best way to get as close to full compliance as possible when political leaders are sending mixed messages is to convince the remaining retailers and restaurants to require masks in order to enter their stores.

Old 07-18-2020, 04:20 PM

29,378 posts, read 22,241,174 times
Quote:
With most of the retailers now mandating it, I think a lot of people will grudgingly go along and accept it. That said, there are more than a few people out there who are intensely against masks, for whatever reasons. The hardcore ones aren’t going to mask.

Places like Walmart or Sams need an officer there during popular times. The store offers a mask to anyone who doesn’t have one who wants it. If they won’t accept and wear the mask, deny them entry. If they keep arguing, disorderly conduct or trespassing charge.

I think doling out fines and misdemeanors is about the only way to get the attention of some people.

Old 07-18-2020, 07:24 PM

Quote:
The answer to your question about smoking and seat belts were yes- absolutely. The pushback on smoking laws was substantial. As far as seat belts, compliance in Tennessee, 16 years after TN changed the law to allow a law enforcement officer to pull someone over based solely on a seat belt violation, is only 90%.

I study, teach, and have published books related to this type of stuff for a living. Formal enforcement is only so effective when the public doesn't support it unless you get really draconian in your enforcement efforts and thus intentionally take law enforcement efforts away from other areas. There are various unintentional consequences to going that route.

Although we don't have any studies to prove it since this is a new phenomenon, I would suggest that the best way to get as close to full compliance as possible when political leaders are sending mixed messages is to convince the remaining retailers and restaurants to require masks in order to enter their stores.
I agree with all of this. We had strong pushback when they banned smoking in restaurants too but not at this level and much came from bar owners concerned about lost revenue as the smoke bone is connected to the drink bone. But everyone fell in line, bars and restaurants were finded for non-compliance and it's been accepted by everyone.

I agree the politicians are in a tough spot in TN with the majority against masks. That is why I feel so badly for those there who are concerned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee