U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 03-23-2020, 11:29 AM
 
Location: Somewhere below Mason/Dixon
8,082 posts, read 8,588,984 times
Reputation: 13369

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetropolitanTN View Post
Right. Because Hubei province was shut down and quarantined.
This is not Black Death. Even totally unchecked it could never kill at the catastrophic rates being depicted. Economic depression absolutely will kill in catastrophic numbers. Those who unleashed this panic and those officials who locked the country down will be villains in our history. It now looks as if our governor will be among them. Shame on him for hurting Tennessee like this.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 03-24-2020, 03:17 PM
 
4,868 posts, read 6,921,547 times
Reputation: 5362
As one Tennessean wrote here, "...it's only 4000 people." Perhaps the poster would feel differently it one of their family members was among that 4000.

The real reason that TN is headed for dire straits is because the lack of good leadership.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-25-2020, 10:59 AM
 
Location: Bellevue
1,311 posts, read 1,596,849 times
Reputation: 968
Default TN Department of Health Site

https://www.tn.gov/health/cedep/ncov...uZ5uXAoeA-lpsM


figures updated 2pm daily

TN residents sorted by county & by age range from 10 to 80+
TN visitors listed as "out of state"

Also find test sites for your county
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-25-2020, 03:13 PM
 
1,432 posts, read 1,222,029 times
Reputation: 5884
This is a rapidly spreading respiratory disease. It is more like pneumonia than the flu.

Everyone knows (at least everyone should know that pneumonia sneaks up on people and can kill them before they realize they have something worse than a bad cold.

I forget which channel I was watching that showed lungs damaged from Covid19. This stuff damages and can destroy lungs from what was said.

Danielj72, your cavilier attitude speaks to your youth - if you’re screen name means anything you’re 48 going on 18. Get with the program young man.

Yes, I can see mistakes in how this whole thing is being handled but I can also understand the thoughts behind it because this is a virus we have never before been exposed to and people are scrambling trying to figure out the best approach. What needs to happen is to have a Covid19 vaccine developed yesterday instead of next year.

I have yet to hear anything about developing any sort of immunity against the disease, which is not surprising if this is more like pneumonia than the flu. People can get pneumonia over and over if they are predisposed to it for some reason.

In the meantime, we all have to do what makes sense and what has always made sense as a matter of fact. Practice cleanliness, keep thy hands washed, and don’t be snottin’ all over the place - cover your mouth and nose. Wash your friggin’ hands before you leave the bathroom- how in thee Samhill did society ever think they don’t need to do that———

Social distancing makes a lot of sense. Hoarding supplies does not and neither does wiping the shelves clean of a product thinking one might sell the stuff for ten times the original price.

Even Amazon is getting in on the outrageous markups. I saw Jif 40 oz dual peanut butter jars on there for $28.99 on Tuesday. We pay $11-$12 all the time for the same thing.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-25-2020, 04:23 PM
JRR
 
Location: Middle Tennessee
5,494 posts, read 3,190,837 times
Reputation: 9021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
This is a rapidly spreading respiratory disease. It is more like pneumonia than the flu.

Everyone knows (at least everyone should know that pneumonia sneaks up on people and can kill them before they realize they have something worse than a bad cold.

I forget which channel I was watching that showed lungs damaged from Covid19. This stuff damages and can destroy lungs from what was said.

Danielj72, your cavilier attitude speaks to your youth - if you’re screen name means anything you’re 48 going on 18. Get with the program young man.

Yes, I can see mistakes in how this whole thing is being handled but I can also understand the thoughts behind it because this is a virus we have never before been exposed to and people are scrambling trying to figure out the best approach. What needs to happen is to have a Covid19 vaccine developed yesterday instead of next year.

I have yet to hear anything about developing any sort of immunity against the disease, which is not surprising if this is more like pneumonia than the flu. People can get pneumonia over and over if they are predisposed to it for some reason.

In the meantime, we all have to do what makes sense and what has always made sense as a matter of fact. Practice cleanliness, keep thy hands washed, and don’t be snottin’ all over the place - cover your mouth and nose. Wash your friggin’ hands before you leave the bathroom- how in thee Samhill did society ever think they don’t need to do that———

Social distancing makes a lot of sense. Hoarding supplies does not and neither does wiping the shelves clean of a product thinking one might sell the stuff for ten times the original price.

Even Amazon is getting in on the outrageous markups. I saw Jif 40 oz dual peanut butter jars on there for $28.99 on Tuesday. We pay $11-$12 all the time for the same thing.
I can vouch for that about pneumonia. My wife started feeling bad around Christmas of 2018. Went to urgent care and she had the flu and was sent home with Tamiflu. Two days later I called 911 and off to the ER we went. Her lungs were so full of fluid that they thought she wouldn't pull through. She was put on a respirator in intensive care so that is how we spent New Year's Eve together; her sedated and me just sitting there. Breathing tube finally came out and after more days in a regular room at the hospital, she was moved to inpatient rehab. Finally tally was she was away from home for almost four weeks.

Having gone through that, we are taking this situation seriously.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-26-2020, 06:25 AM
 
1,432 posts, read 1,222,029 times
Reputation: 5884
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
I can vouch for that about pneumonia. My wife started feeling bad around Christmas of 2018. Went to urgent care and she had the flu and was sent home with Tamiflu. Two days later I called 911 and off to the ER we went. Her lungs were so full of fluid that they thought she wouldn't pull through. She was put on a respirator in intensive care so that is how we spent New Year's Eve together; her sedated and me just sitting there. Breathing tube finally came out and after more days in a regular room at the hospital, she was moved to inpatient rehab. Finally tally was she was away from home for almost four weeks.

Having gone through that, we are taking this situation seriously.
That was a horrible experience for both of you. I am glad your wife recovered.

DH has had pneumonia twice. His first bout got missed by the doctor, similar to your wife’s episode . They gave him the standard prescription for a bad case of bronchitis and he was not getting better.

I pushed him to get back to the doctor because I have seen pneumonia before and I thought he was working on Walking Pneumonia. He got tired of my “harping” and went back. The diagnosis this time was —— whadaya know —- Walking Pneumonia. Thankfully he got over it without having to go to the hospital. The good doctor paid closer attention when DH contracted pneumonia again, a year later.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 04-03-2020, 01:54 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
35,951 posts, read 35,965,151 times
Reputation: 55546
This page is updated every day in the afternoon. It has the following TN information:

https://www.tn.gov/health/cedep/ncov.html

Total cases
Total recovered
Age ranges of confirmed cases (in increments of 10 years)
Positive and negative test totals
Hospitalization counts
Fatalities
Positive and negative test results by TN county
Deaths by TN county

The President declared TN a disaster area yesterday (Thursday) and the Governor said non-essential workers now have to stay home. Friday (today) the governor is meeting with people (I think he said in Knoxville) to determine how the police will enforce it.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 04-03-2020, 06:39 AM
 
1,432 posts, read 1,222,029 times
Reputation: 5884
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Friday (today) the governor is meeting with people (I think he said in Knoxville) to determine how the police will enforce it.
I hope they can figure out what the left hand and the right are doing

On the 5:30 AM Fox 17 news this morning (Friday) Justin McFarland made the statement that police will NOT be doing spot checks - then he qualified that statement by saying “at least not in Davidson County”.

It was also my understanding from his sort of unclear report that it MAY be up to each county whether they want to set up check points. It’s not a mandatory thing but I guess it depends on how Boss Hog each county wants and has the spare time to get.

“Yes, I guess not” applies here
Rate this post positively
 
Old 04-03-2020, 03:43 PM
 
Location: Chattanooga, TN
2,890 posts, read 4,297,522 times
Reputation: 4632
Unless they find people just blatantly hanging around in groups, there is no way to enforce the mandate.

Here it is: Executive Order 23, which changes exactly one single word in Executive Order 22 (from "urged" to "required").

But the list of exceptions... On the odd chance you get stopped you can just make something up. "I'm going to the grocery/hardware/liquor/office supply store". Or a restaurant for take-out.

Or, because an "Essential Activity" is partially defined as: "Engaging in activities essential to a person's health and safety or the health and safety of family or household members...", you can just say you had to get out of the house to keep from killing your kids.


Also related are:
Executive Order 17: Outlawed on-site dining/drinking (closed restaurant dining rooms).
Executive Order 18: Prohibits non-emergency medial or dental procedures. No teeth cleaning or boob jobs right now.
Executive Order 19: Shuts down personal-service and entertainment locations (hair salons, theaters, etc.)

Executive Orders 14-23 are also all COVID-19 related. Mostly they declare and extend the state of emergency and modify laws to allow the government to function during the emergency.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 04-04-2020, 11:09 AM
 
Location: Somewhere below Mason/Dixon
8,082 posts, read 8,588,984 times
Reputation: 13369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
This is a rapidly spreading respiratory disease. It is more like pneumonia than the flu.

Everyone knows (at least everyone should know that pneumonia sneaks up on people and can kill them before they realize they have something worse than a bad cold.

I forget which channel I was watching that showed lungs damaged from Covid19. This stuff damages and can destroy lungs from what was said.

Danielj72, your cavilier attitude speaks to your youth - if you’re screen name means anything you’re 48 going on 18. Get with the program young man.

Yes, I can see mistakes in how this whole thing is being handled but I can also understand the thoughts behind it because this is a virus we have never before been exposed to and people are scrambling trying to figure out the best approach. What needs to happen is to have a Covid19 vaccine developed yesterday instead of next year.

I have yet to hear anything about developing any sort of immunity against the disease, which is not surprising if this is more like pneumonia than the flu. People can get pneumonia over and over if they are predisposed to it for some reason.

In the meantime, we all have to do what makes sense and what has always made sense as a matter of fact. Practice cleanliness, keep thy hands washed, and don’t be snottin’ all over the place - cover your mouth and nose. Wash your friggin’ hands before you leave the bathroom- how in thee Samhill did society ever think they don’t need to do that———

Social distancing makes a lot of sense. Hoarding supplies does not and neither does wiping the shelves clean of a product thinking one might sell the stuff for ten times the original price.

Even Amazon is getting in on the outrageous markups. I saw Jif 40 oz dual peanut butter jars on there for $28.99 on Tuesday. We pay $11-$12 all the time for the same thing.
At 48 I’ll happily take being called a “youth”. Of course I realize you did not say that to make me feel good but rather it was meant to be a snarky means to demean me simply because you did not like what I said. The fact that your old enough to call a middle aged man a “youth” is a testament to your age as well. If I am assuming correctly that you are retired, maybe even elderly then I understand your concern for your health. You absolutely should protect yourself and stay home. Your support however for the draconian shutdowns shows your cavalier attitude towards those of us who still have to support ourselves. I’m sure as a retired person you have a significant nest egg. Maybe enough that the market crash didn’t bother you. Maybe a depression is something that will happen to other people and not you. Maybe you have the luxury of sitting out on the veranda drinking coffee and reading about the bread lines, crime and riots and exclaiming....wow kids today. Think twice however. If a depression rips the fabric of this nation apart you will feel the effects. What assets you have will be worthless, you will be subject to whatever radical government is put in power and God help us if civil war or even world war were to happen because of a world wide depression. Anyone who reads and watches what is going on knows this overreaction could cause an economic depression, economist admit this every day on the news. Anyone who reads history knows the chaos economic depression causes (Hitler anyone?)

Even if you do believe the consequences won’t impact you it is still wrong to be so selfish. You can isolate and protect yourself and so can all who have known medical conditions. I support the government assisting those who must do so for their health. I will never however support this self destruction of our economy in the name of preventing the same number of deaths everyone accepts every year because of flu. You mentioned pneumonia....every year it kills tens of thousands too. Why is no one concerned with that? You say I have a cavalier attitude about the deaths, I say you have a cavalier attitude about the human misery that will be caused by economic depression. It will affect so much more than just Tennessee. Governor Lee simply caved in to the hand wringing anxiety prone worry warts who know seem to be at the helm everywhere. God help us all.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top