U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2020, 07:19 AM

29,335 posts, read 22,169,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
So we had protests over the weekend throughout the state about the shutdown. Bunches of people close together, hollering, hugging and high-fiving. Some even brought their kids along. What could possibly go wrong from these happenings.
I agree with the governor reopening the economy. Here in the upper east TN NBC market, we have a total of 31 currently active cases. So far, the "surge" of COVID patients hasn't happened here, and it seems like the medical system in the nation is unaware that other health conditions and problems still exist. Everything is currently focused on COVID, even in areas where there isn't a significant outbreak.

https://wcyb.com/news/local/tdh-curr...n-ne-tennessee
Rate this post positively

Old 04-21-2020, 08:50 AM
JRR

5,494 posts, read 3,190,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I agree with the governor reopening the economy. Here in the upper east TN NBC market, we have a total of 31 currently active cases. So far, the "surge" of COVID patients hasn't happened here, and it seems like the medical system in the nation is unaware that other health conditions and problems still exist. Everything is currently focused on COVID, even in areas where there isn't a significant outbreak.

https://wcyb.com/news/local/tdh-curr...n-ne-tennessee
I am not necessarily disagreeing with the reopening of life in most of Tennessee. I just think that, given how the virus spreads, that the getting together in large groups to demonstrate might not have been the brightest thing to do. Especially since the governor has already been leaning toward the reopening.

Old 04-23-2020, 02:39 PM

35,951 posts, read 35,965,151 times
All but 3 Tennessee State Parks partially open tomorrow for day use - 4/24/2020. You can read about it here.

https://tnstateparks.com/about/keepi...al%20Reopening

Scroll down past TENNESSEE STATE PARKS CLOSED THROUGH APRIL 23, 2020 for the details on the web page including rules and tips:

MOST TENNESSEE STATE PARKS REOPENING FOR DAY USERS APRIL 24, 2020

Old 04-23-2020, 04:41 PM

690 posts, read 491,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
All but 3 Tennessee State Parks partially open tomorrow for day use - 4/24/2020. You can read about it here.

https://tnstateparks.com/about/keepi...al%20Reopening

Scroll down past TENNESSEE STATE PARKS CLOSED THROUGH APRIL 23, 2020 for the details on the web page including rules and tips:

MOST TENNESSEE STATE PARKS REOPENING FOR DAY USERS APRIL 24, 2020
This is great news! Hiking, running, fishing, etc. are great healthy activities that can be done while social distancing. Kentucky State parks never closed but did limit Lodging, Camping and visitor centers.

In addition, Governor Lee announced that starting Monday, dine in restaurants and retail can open at 50% capacity.

My company (retail) has phased opening in Arkansas and South Carolina with Tennessee likely to follow. If the lockdown lasted any longer than May, we would have likely went bankrupt.

Old 04-24-2020, 07:08 AM

2,890 posts, read 4,297,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
This is great news! Hiking, running, fishing, etc. are great healthy activities that can be done while social distancing. Kentucky State parks never closed but did limit Lodging, Camping and visitor centers.
The main problem wasn't the trails; it was the crowds in the overflowing parking lots including cars parking along the roads blocking traffic. Plus the groups of people loitering at key points of interest and rest areas.

Old 04-24-2020, 12:40 PM

377 posts, read 343,213 times
That makes sense, An Einnseanair. I thought is was so stupid to close parks when it would be great exercise, not to mention in the open air (COVID-19 is thought to spread in highly density areas in close quarters). Instead, I've put on the pounds eating crap and sitting on the couch.

Old 04-25-2020, 06:41 PM

Cherokee National Forest wasn't opened today anywhere that there was normally a barrier. Given that Rocky Fork remained closed, it would have been nice to have had easy backcountry access before the rains set in for the weekend.

Old 04-26-2020, 12:54 PM

2,027 posts, read 1,089,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathiOH1 View Post
That makes sense, An Einnseanair. I thought is was so stupid to close parks when it would be great exercise, not to mention in the open air (COVID-19 is thought to spread in highly density areas in close quarters). Instead, I've put on the pounds eating crap and sitting on the couch.
We walked local greenways and even did laps around the outside of the closed mall in the empty parking lot. There are plenty of ways to get out and exercise.

Old 04-27-2020, 04:26 PM

13,251 posts, read 7,349,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathiOH1 View Post
I had the same thought up here in Maryland, a park would be a great idea. So I took my bike, this was before they were closed. I saw the same thing others posted, the parking lot was full, crowds were gathering by the cars and on the trails I came in more contact with people closer than 6 feet as the trails are not that wide than I did in Walmart.

For us up here it's too early, although the locals are getting restless and voicing opposition. We have had it bad and the numbers haven't peaked yet. But down there with the numbers SC posted, yeah I think they should gradually and with caution open up for sure.

Old 04-27-2020, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I had the same thought up here in Maryland, a park would be a great idea. So I took my bike, this was before they were closed. I saw the same thing others posted, the parking lot was full, crowds were gathering by the cars and on the trails I came in more contact with people closer than 6 feet as the trails are not that wide than I did in Walmart.

For us up here it's too early, although the locals are getting restless and voicing opposition. We have had it bad and the numbers haven't peaked yet. But down there with the numbers SC posted, yeah I think they should gradually and with caution open up for sure.
I was at a state park south of Johnson City the weekend before the parks closed. This park is mostly rugged backcountry where you really need an SUV or a truck to get to the gravel parking lot. Some idiot had gotten a lowered Civic wedged in sideways to where no cars could get in or out of the lot. That park remains closed.

My gut feeling tells me stupidity like this got the parks closed more than "social distancing."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee