U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2020, 08:45 PM

29,359 posts, read 22,196,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
I agree. We can't wish the virus away and we can't stay in a state of lockdown forever. What we need is for our political leaders to get serious in getting together with our health experts and work out a sane plan to get us through this. They need to ignore the noise and put on their big boy pants and lead.

Do I think that is going to happen? I'm not really that optimistic as we are still seeing spikes in some areas of Tennessee and some real problems in other states.
At least here in northeast TN, this isn't being taken seriously at all.

Few people wear masks. Many restaurants don't even have the staff wearing masks, many places aren't distancing tables much, a lot of eating/drinking at the bar shoulder to shoulder, etc. There has been really no guidance from local officials beyond the basic "stay safe out there" type of thing.

I almost always mask up in the big stores. I don't for a gas station or quick fast food meal, etc. With that said, I've been dining outside when I can. I'm not going to run scared, but the situation is deteriorating.

Here in Kingsport, a worker at a popular local diner/lunch spot tested positive today. Probably a couple hundred people come through this small restaurant daily. Distancing is basically impossible. My parents went there twice last week. My grandparents go to church and someone at that church tested positive, and a couple of workers from that diner go to the same church.

This is how these things spiral out of control.
Rate this post positively

Old 06-27-2020, 12:42 AM
JRR

5,499 posts, read 3,195,971 times
The number of cases here in Putnam county keeps going up. We now are right behind the Nashville/Memphis/Knoxville/Chattanooga areas in number of cases. Newspaper said that the youngest patient at the hospital with the virus is 23 days old and the next youngest is 17 years old. The virus is now spreading among younger people as they are the ones who have mostly ignored using face masks and keeping their distance.

So now we are back behind the eight ball with this situation as people didn't want to make the effort to help get it under control.

Old 06-27-2020, 01:03 AM

29,359 posts, read 22,196,390 times
Quote:
The number of cases here in Putnam county keeps going up. We now are right behind the Nashville/Memphis/Knoxville/Chattanooga areas in number of cases. Newspaper said that the youngest patient at the hospital with the virus is 23 days old and the next youngest is 17 years old. The virus is now spreading among younger people as they are the ones who have mostly ignored using face masks and keeping their distance.

So now we are back behind the eight ball with this situation as people didn't want to make the effort to help get it under control.
We have zero leadership at the state level, and no leadership locally in most communities. Lee deals in platitudes and slogans.

Leaders need to emphasize masks, distancing, etc., and mandate it. I see lots of local restaurants where servers are not masked, tables are not distanced, patrons dogpile around the bar, etc. Locally, mask-weaters are mocked and humiliated for wearing a mask.

That was OK when there were few local infections. Now it's ramping up. I've texted my local bar friends tonight that I won't be in until things turnaround. I'll gladly come in for a takeaway. I'll drink outside. I'm not sitting at the bar inside at this time.

Old 06-27-2020, 01:24 AM

12,853 posts, read 16,377,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
We have zero leadership at the state level, and no leadership locally in most communities. Lee deals in platitudes and slogans.

Leaders need to emphasize masks, distancing, etc., and mandate it. I see lots of local restaurants where servers are not masked, tables are not distanced, patrons dogpile around the bar, etc. Locally, mask-weaters are mocked and humiliated for wearing a mask.

That was OK when there were few local infections. Now it's ramping up. I've texted my local bar friends tonight that I won't be in until things turnaround. I'll gladly come in for a takeaway. I'll drink outside. I'm not sitting at the bar inside at this time.
That was ok? That's how we got to where we are now.
Leaders can say/do whatever but when the citizens ignored guidelines because 'they're young and healthy', or they insist that risk is only for 'other people' what did they think the result would be? I really hope that in the coming week I see a return to more people wearing masks, but truthfully I think we've passed the point where it will make a lot of difference, it should have been taken seriously long before now.

Old 06-27-2020, 06:27 AM

13,255 posts, read 7,358,027 times
I put this in Current Events but I think it belongs here as well. I feel badly for those in Tennessee (and the entire south) who do see the risks. It will be a much bigger event for you than it has to be due to the higher percent of the population who simply refuse to wear a mask or take this seriously. Early on I could see it, although Double T is obviously correct that this attitude got to where you are today. With so few cases it was hard to justify a shut down and mask laws. But this attitude is still there as evident by some of the posts and as a result more people will get sick and die.

It's as if many are completely unaware of what is taking place in Texas, Florida, Arizona etc. They opened early, people acted as if COVID was over and now they are forced to close again. Meanwhile the states where people did take it seriously are opening back up with a plan and citizen compliance and there is no reason to think they will have to shut back down.

Old 06-27-2020, 08:09 AM

3,796 posts, read 3,595,407 times
Quote:
Leaders can say/do whatever but when the citizens ignored guidelines because 'they're young and healthy', or they insist that risk is only for 'other people' what did they think the result would be?
Exactly. In the bars in Nashville where the people are packed in shoulder to shoulder, the City fines them and the bar pays the fine and the same thing happens again the next night. They need to shut some of those places down and fine them so it hurts. And start fining the patrons.

Old 06-27-2020, 09:04 AM

2,027 posts, read 1,091,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I put this in Current Events but I think it belongs here as well. I feel badly for those in Tennessee (and the entire south) who do see the risks. It will be a much bigger event for you than it has to be due to the higher percent of the population who simply refuse to wear a mask or take this seriously. Early on I could see it, although Double T is obviously correct that this attitude got to where you are today. With so few cases it was hard to justify a shut down and mask laws. But this attitude is still there as evident by some of the posts and as a result more people will get sick and die.

It's as if many are completely unaware of what is taking place in Texas, Florida, Arizona etc. They opened early, people acted as if COVID was over and now they are forced to close again. Meanwhile the states where people did take it seriously are opening back up with a plan and citizen compliance and there is no reason to think they will have to shut back down.
Sadly, some people have been convinced that being a considerate neighbor and responsible citizen is the equivalent of surrendering your personal freedom to tyranny. What should have been done voluntarily, should now be mandatory. To those who say "if you are afraid, just stay home," I say, if you don't want to follow public health guidelines, YOU should stay home.

Old 06-27-2020, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
Sadly, some people have been convinced that being a considerate neighbor and responsible citizen is the equivalent of surrendering your personal freedom to tyranny. What should have been done voluntarily, should now be mandatory. To those who say "if you are afraid, just stay home," I say, if you don't want to follow public health guidelines, YOU should stay home.

Exactly.

I can't help but feel many of these people who are selfishly refusing to wear a mask would rip you a new one if you inadvertently pointed a gun at them at the range. The chances of an accident are very small, just as with COVID, but the reckless behavior of endangering others would cause a huge reaction. As it should.

It really is amazing after all this time there are so many so dug in. Tokyo has one of the densest populations in the world. Yet despite 14 million people crammed together they have had only 320 COVID deaths. Because they took this seriously and wore the damned mask. I talked to someone over there and the entire country (make that world) is dumbfounded that so many Americans still don't get it.

Old 06-27-2020, 12:01 PM
JRR

5,499 posts, read 3,195,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Exactly.

I can't help but feel many of these people who are selfishly refusing to wear a mask would rip you a new one if you inadvertently pointed a gun at them at the range. The chances of an accident are very small, just as with COVID, but the reckless behavior of endangering others would cause a huge reaction. As it should.

It really is amazing after all this time there are so many so dug in. Tokyo has one of the densest populations in the world. Yet despite 14 million people crammed together they have had only 320 COVID deaths. Because they took this seriously and wore the damned mask. I talked to someone over there and the entire country (make that world) is dumbfounded that so many Americans still don't get it.
A lot of it comes down to leadership. Unfortunately we have too many leaders who make decisions based on the noise from vocal minority instead of what is best for the majority.

Old 06-27-2020, 12:29 PM

Quote:
A lot of it comes down to leadership. Unfortunately we have too many leaders who make decisions based on the noise from vocal minority instead of what is best for the majority.
That may be true but obviously there's a huge part of our population that still compares this to the flu and still doesn't think it's a big deal. Particularly in the south there's a huge feeling that my rights will never be violated by the government. No matter who's in charge
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee