Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 11:38 PM

219 posts, read 811,156 times

Advertisements

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Are bugs really that bad in TN? I currently live in South Texas where we have HUGE roaches, snakes and millipedes...but I never get any in my house..and I never spray...new contruction and I am a clean freak....are the bugs in the house only in older houses in TN or newer ones also? How bout those snakes in TN...if I keep my lawn nice and short will I still have all those problems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 04:13 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,213,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbain View Post
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Are bugs really that bad in TN? I currently live in South Texas where we have HUGE roaches, snakes and millipedes...but I never get any in my house..and I never spray...new contruction and I am a clean freak....are the bugs in the house only in older houses in TN or newer ones also? How bout those snakes in TN...if I keep my lawn nice and short will I still have all those problems?
You can almost forget about snakes. If you live out in the country, or go hiking a lot, you might occasionally see a snake (mostly harmless), but other than that you will probably rarely see one.

As for bugs, there are a variety of the little critters here. They can be irritating at times if you're outside, but if you're a "clean freak" and have a well-sealed house, you shouldn't have too much of a problem with them inside. And there are a few simple things you can do to not "invite" them inside or be around your house (closed trash cans, not having firewood stacked near the house, possibly spraying around the foundation of the house once or twice a year, being sure your weatherstripping is tight, sealing up any access holes around your house, not leaving standing water anywhere near the house, etc.). Probably the worst ones to cause any real concern (outside) are mosquitoes and ticks because of the diseases they can carry. If you go hiking in the woods, you need to check for ticks afterwards and if you find that mosquitoes are a problem in your neighborhood (sometimes they are, sometimes not) then you might consider something like Det if you're going to be outside a lot.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:08 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,349,620 times
Last year we sprayed for spiders ourselves because I thought the spider population in this house was too much. The house we are renting is under ten years old.Spiders I can't stand. Snakes may startle me, but they don't bother me. I haven't seen a snake since I've been in Tn. This spring I haven't had the amount of spiders we had last year. I don't know much about spider culture if they are more plentiful in some years then others because of the weather. But I don't think their existence here in Tn. will be on your mind alot as say the price of gas today.
Pam

Old 05-01-2008, 08:36 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,410,078 times
There are annoying bugs everywhere in our country, in one form or another.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:33 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
You can almost forget about snakes. If you live out in the country, or go hiking a lot, you might occasionally see a snake (mostly harmless), but other than that you will probably rarely see one.
I see snakes all the time. Although its not often I see copperheads anymore and its been years since I saw a rattlesnake. The populations are decreasing, development I suspose, but they are out there. Ive already seen two this year in my yard.

Anyone have trouble with those pseudo-lady bugs that envade in the spring?

Old 05-01-2008, 10:54 AM
Eat

303 posts, read 1,142,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I see snakes all the time. Although its not often I see copperheads anymore and its been years since I saw a rattlesnake. The populations are decreasing, development I suspose, but they are out there. Ive already seen two this year in my yard.

Anyone have trouble with those pseudo-lady bugs that envade in the spring?
Psuedo?

Old 05-01-2008, 11:06 AM

They ain't real ladybugs; they're from somewhere else (china?), I think they were imported to control some pest or another and now they run amok.

I know our friend (in Crossville) when he lived in Knoxville they used to swarm his kitchen garden window and somehow get in the house. It was nauseating, they were everywhere.

Asian Lady Beetle Infestation Of Structures | University of Kentucky Entomology

Old 05-01-2008, 11:18 AM
Eat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
They ain't real ladybugs; they're from somewhere else (china?), I think they were imported to control some pest or another and now they run amok.

I know our friend (in Crossville) when he lived in Knoxville they used to swarm his kitchen garden window and somehow get in the house. It was nauseating, they were everywhere.

Asian Lady Beetle Infestation Of Structures | University of Kentucky Entomology
Well, if that's what 2mares meant by psuedo, I'm not sure that term is appropriate. They are real lady beetles (bugs) after all, but like many other living things, this one is an invasive species.

The Asian Lady Beetles get into homes in the autumn, not spring, so I'm still not sure what bug 2mares is referring to.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:58 AM

I've seen them to some extent all year long...maybe they do it in springtime too, because nights are chilly.

Old 05-01-2008, 12:33 PM
Eat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
I've seen them to some extent all year long...maybe they do it in springtime too, because nights are chilly.
Maybe. We don't get them inside at all in the spring. A couple of nights ago, we down in the 30's. No lady bugs were evident, although we did have a couple of spiders and a skink to entertain the cats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee